What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 10 Minute Clean?  (Read 12856 times)

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: 10 Minute Clean?
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2005, 06:48:48 pm »
Problem with circ pump is it only filter the middle third of the spa water over and over again.  The oils reside on top and dirt on the bottom and the circ cleans the clean.

I hope the tri x works better than the no-fault 5000/6000 design (oh by the way, they should give back their Silver Award for designing a fire starter).  Another marketing gadget.

Fact:  HS filters 14,500 gallons 100%.  Which only 3,200 is skimmed and you have to remember to press button to filter 3,200.  That's if 10 minute uses both pumps, which I would guess they do.  11,500 or so is the middle third which is never really dirty anyway.  

Vs. a spa that filters 26,000 gallons 100% and 70% is skimmed & bottom is filtered as well.  amp usage = 990 amp minutes vs. HS 1368 amp minutes + 10 minute cycle of 200 amp minutes.  HS is only slightly more efficient because of 5 # foam fill/60# base.  Which is for support and is nightmare to get to leak.

Fact: less power to draw more water through filter without bypass is better. :o

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2005, 06:48:48 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2005, 10:59:15 am »
Problem with circ pump is it only filter the middle third of the spa water over and over again.  The oils reside on top and dirt on the bottom and the circ cleans the clean.
I have heard this from folks who sell spas without a circ pump, but I still can't figure out why. The water returns to the spa from the floor fitting, and there are connections to a small jet in the filter area, Moto Massage area and the various jet systems. Water moves in every part of the tub - easy to check: the temp is the same all over.

I sure don't hear any complaints from the folks who OWN these tubs - they work quite well. I really don't think they would have become the world's best-selling tub if there was a layer of cold, dirty water on the bottom and cold, oily water on top.

I hope the tri x works better than the no-fault 5000/6000 design (oh by the way, they should give back their Silver Award for designing a fire starter).  Another marketing gadget.
The Tri-X is off to a good start. I enjoy being able to just put them into the dishwasher. They also move much more water than a conventional filter, and they last much longer.

As to the heater: HotSpring did not design the heater involved in the recall. They did not have to start a voluntary recall, nor did they have to go to the consumer product safety commission to start a remediation protocol, but they did. And then they helped TrueHeat to stay in existance. There are a lot of other brands of tubs out there with TrueHeat heaters in them - most of them would have dissapeared from the scene leaving the consumer holding the bag. HotSpring did an upright and honorable job of handling the whole thing.

BTW - HotSpring switched to two other vendors for heaters, and the CPSC closed the case OVER two years ago - other than pot-stirring, what was your point in bringing it up?
Fact:  HS filters 14,500 gallons 100%.
What do you base this 'fact' on? HS has a little pump running around the clock through a filter. It moves around 6 - 7 gpm, for a total of about 8500 to 9000 gallons per day.
Which only 3,200 is skimmed and you have to remember to press button to filter 3,200.
If you mean that the tub only skims when the jet pumps are on, that's the basic idea. Once the spa is skimmed and the lid is closed, there is no real reason to waste electricity running a large pump filtering/skimming.
That's if 10 minute uses both pumps, which I would guess they do.
I think you are doing more guessing that you realize: no, HS and TR spas use one pump for filtration on models with two jet pumps.
 11,500 or so is the middle third which is never really dirty anyway.
Have you lived with a spa? I don't know how you get the idea that there are layers when the water is in constant motion. Whether we are talking about the circ pump's constant motion or the jet pump's massive motion, the water is mixed and flitered. And since the HS tubs do not move any water which doesn't go through a filter, it can do in ten minutes what other tubs take an hour or more to do.

HS is only slightly more efficient because of 5 # foam fill/60# base.  Which is for support and is nightmare to get to leak.
HotSpring starts with a 30# spray on the back of the shell - applied by computer-controlled spray arms. Then after the tub is plumbed and pressure-tested, it gets a spray of 10# foam to hold the plumbing in place. Then the cavities are filled with a combination of 1 and 2 pound density foam. Finally the bottom is capped with 60# density foam, with is closed-cell and just about as hard as fiberglass. It is an engineered system which adds strength and holds in the heat. And you are right: it is very tough to get it to leak - the plumbing is help firmly in place so there are far fewer issues with leaks.
Fact: less power to draw more water through filter without bypass is better. :o
I agree.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hymbaw

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2005, 11:03:44 am »
Just buy a Sundance 880 Series and all your problems are solved!  ;) The 880's circ pump moves 35 gpm which is enough to drop the weir door and constantly skim the water. Not to mention filtering over 50,000 gallons a day through (IMHO) a better filter! Peace out.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2005, 12:53:18 pm »
So then, there we have it.  2 kW a day costing 18 cents a day to run, turning over 8,640 gallons every 24 hours, plus the clean up cycle that we discover to be approximately 5 cents per clean up cycle, so let's assume we use 2 clean up cycles, your total cost would be 28 cents a day, or $8.40 a month, turning over 10,440 gallons per day and turning over the content of the tub 24 to 26 times each day.

So drober, push that clean up cycle with great delight and sleep at night realizing it is on pennies a day. ;D

The jury is back and the verdict is.... I will use the clean button everytime I exit the tub.

Funny, you never know what question will create allot of discussion.

I love hot tubs and you all are great! ;D

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2005, 12:59:47 pm »
You know guys you can all sit around and discuss the filtration of the HS or TR spas all day and night, it still remains to be a top seller along with Sundance Artic (which btw, my dealer told me NOT to look at because their price has skyrocketed) Tiger River, Caldera, marquis, Nordic, Master,Jacuzzi, Beachcomber, Coleman (yes I throw that one in there for a reason) and several others. But...I truly believe when I looked at all the spas that I did (Sundance..HotSprings..Caldera..Artesian..Coleman...Bullfrog) That each tub cerculated all the water at the same rate, correct me if I'm wrong here, but to say that one spa just because they use a 10 minute clean up is the wrong way to go and is a feature that is useless is kinda dumb (sorry for the insult). After I get out of my hot tub each time I hit the filtration cycle which is Ime turning on Jet 1, for at least a minimum of 30 min, now...I wondered if All the water was being filtered...to my amazement it is TWO of the jets on the far end of the tub are pushing the water from the far end of the tub to the filter along with all the jets from the lounger and the far left seat and the middle seat beside the seat with the comfort collar Jets, they are all on!

Now....would you guys quit bickering about who's filtration is best and start helping some of these people that are looking for answers on which tub is best as a comparision

J._McD

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2005, 02:14:06 pm »

Now....would you guys quit bickering about who's filtration is best and start helping some of these people that are looking for answers on which tub is best as a comparision

Golly Gee backpains, I thought we were trying our best to answer Drober's issue of concern.  He was thinking $$$ when it is really only cents.  Besides all of us don’t know it all, so we’re working on the truth here and we learn something new everyday.  ;);D

My HS has a clean button that runs the jets for ten minutes. After I get out of the tub I add Dichlor I press the clean button and let the chem cycle and the water filter for the pre-programmed ten minutes.

The only downside I see is $$$ in electricity.

Do you your clean button or have your tub programmed to run after you exit?

The jury is back and the verdict is.... I will use the clean button everytime I exit the tub.

Funny, you never know what question will create allot of discussion.

I love hot tubs and you all are great! ;D

« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 02:28:18 pm by J._McD »

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2005, 02:15:59 pm »
JD...sorry I'm just in one of those moods again...not to worry I've taken my meds and I'm calm now. Ok now I  have a question....doesn't every tub filter the water about the same?

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2005, 02:26:02 pm »
No, there are exceptions.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

hymbaw

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2005, 04:34:12 pm »
Backpains,

The reason I mentioned  the SD 880 Series is because all tubs don't circulate the water at the same rate. Industry standard is about 5-7 gpm, the 880 Series circulates 35 gpm. As stated in my previous post, that is significant because it is always skimming and you dont need a "clean" cycle. Granted, I sell them. I have sold HS, Dynasty, Nordic, Tiger River, and Coast and the filtration on the 880 Series IMHO is the best right now. Are the other systems good. Sure. Will someone surpass Sundance? Probably. We'll tackle that when it happens.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

hymbaw

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2005, 04:58:33 pm »
Backpains,

The reason I mentioned  the SD 880 Series is because all tubs DON'T circulate the water at the same rate. Industry standard is about 5-7 gpm, the 880 Series circulates 35 gpm. As stated in my previous post, that is significant because it is always skimming and you dont need a "clean" cycle. Granted, I sell them. I have sold HS, Dynasty, Nordic, Tiger River, and Coast and the filtration on the 880 Series IMHO is the best right now. Are the other systems good. Sure. Will someone surpass Sundance? Probably. We'll tackle that when it happens.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2005, 04:58:33 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42