What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 10 Minute Clean?  (Read 12855 times)

J._McD

Re: 10 Minute Clean?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2005, 08:11:46 pm »
240 times 2.5 amps is 600 watts, but those numbers don't apply. On a HotSpring or Tiger River Spa the circ pump is 85 watts, total. It runs on 110 volts, but is just 85 watts.

That means to run it 24 hours is only about two kilowatthours, or about eighteen cents.

Thank you Chas, I know you know, but if that is correct the circ pump would be pulling .7 amp, and it could never move 6 to 7 gpm.  How many gpm would the circ pump do? ??? and are both hi performance pumps running during the 10 minutes, doubling the nickel to a dime? ??? which is little to no signifigance.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2005, 08:11:46 pm »

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2005, 09:54:01 am »
If the HS is still using the Laing pump like the Sundance 780s and 850s, then yes, it is moving around 6-9 gpm at 85 watts.  The 240v model uses around 98 watts.

JJ

• Vita Nuage
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2005, 03:09:28 pm »
Now what I really want is to jump out of the tub, hit the clean button, run in the house and watch through the window as the automatic sanitzer injector pumps dichlor into the running tub, runs it for 10 minutes, turns out the tub lights, and the motorized cover lifter cycles and closes the cover. :o

COME ON DEALERS!  Put those engineers back at the mother ship to work!

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2005, 04:54:17 pm »
JJ that would be so totally cool..but lets throw in a plazma tv that turns on and shuts off by itself...throw in the rest of the chems being monitored and distributed when needed....totally empties and refills by itself when it's time...and a mini bar that knows exactly when your thirsty. Now THAT"S A HOT TUB!!!!!!!!!

salesdvl

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2005, 05:42:27 pm »
This is a mathmatical exercise.  I will take a shot at it and this would be my interpretation.  HS experts please correct any misinterpretations or misunderstanding created. ;)

Clean and clear water is the result of proper filtration and sanitation which is accomplished by gallons per minute.  

HS has a circulation pump that is rated, let me assume, 6 to7 gpm, which would equate to 8,640 to 10,080 gallons per day and may not be adequate to filter the water clean with the circ pump only which has a single dedicated filter.  

This turnover rate is approximately 22 times.

The primary pump which requires 2 suction fittings has a dedicated filter on each fitting independent of the circ pump filter (thus 100% filtration).   This pump may have a rate of 180 gpm resulting in an additional turnover of 1,800 gallons during the 10 minute "clean up cycle".  Thus an additional 1,800 gallons is being filtered plus the 10,080

This would represent 11,880 gallons being filtered, and assuming the capacity of the tub is 450 gallons that would be a turnover rate of 26 times, which should be cosidered adequate to filter out oxidized contaminants.

Assuming the primary pump is pulling 11 amps x 240 volts resulting in 2640 watts of consumption per hour, or .440 kilowatts in 10 minutes x .09 cents = approximately 4 cents to run the clean up cycle.

The circ pump at 240 x 2.5 amps = .600 kW x .09 = 5.4 cents per hour or about a $1.30 a day

Ad to this the 20 to 30 minutes of pump operataion and any heat loss or replacement of heat loss and you should be able to roughly estimate your cost of electric.

A meter would be much easier and more accurate.  But, when it comes to filtration, it is gallons per minute that clean the water. ;)

so, drober30, to put your mind at ease forget the $$$ and consider it less than a nickle for each "clean up cycle"

Wow, I was never good at math word problems.  Is this the one where the wind is blowing from the North and I have to figure out how many apples everyone has left?
Measure once, cut twice.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2005, 03:11:46 am »
Thank you Chas, I know you know, but if that is correct the circ pump would be pulling .7 amp, and it could never move 6 to 7 gpm.  How many gpm would the circ pump do? ??? and are both hi performance pumps running during the 10 minutes, doubling the nickel to a dime? ??? which is little to no signifigance.

Yes, it's just under .8 amps (.775 x 110 = 85 ) and it does move around 6 gpm.  It is a spherical rotor pump - no shaft seal to rob power and a very close coupling of the magnetic field to the rotor for maximum efficiency.

on the 'clean' cycle, only one jet pump runs. On spas with one two-speed pump and one single-speed pump they run the single speed: it is marginally more efficient.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

J._McD

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2005, 08:48:32 am »
So then, there we have it.  2 kW a day costing 18 cents a day to run, turning over 8,640 gallons every 24 hours, plus the clean up cycle that we discover to be approximately 5 cents per clean up cycle, so let's assume we use 2 clean up cycles, your total cost would be 28 cents a day, or $8.40 a month, turning over 10,440 gallons per day and turning over the content of the tub 24 to 26 times each day.

So drober, push that clean up cycle with great delight and sleep at night realizing it is on pennies a day. ;D

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2005, 10:39:57 am »
Now what I really want is to jump out of the tub, hit the clean button, run in the house and watch through the window as the automatic sanitzer injector pumps dichlor into the running tub, runs it for 10 minutes, turns out the tub lights, and the motorized cover lifter cycles and closes the cover. :o

COME ON DEALERS!  Put those engineers back at the mother ship to work!

I don' think that's too unreasonable. Pools have automatic clhorinators, a tub could have one too, and on the clean cycle open the valve a bit more to allow a greater amount of chlorine to mix with the water.

Auto coverlifter? Sure.  just like a garage door opener or a covertable car.

;D
07 Caldera Geneva

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2005, 11:18:13 am »
So then, there we have it.  2 kW a day costing 18 cents a day to run, turning over 8,640 gallons every 24 hours, plus the clean up cycle that we discover to be approximately 5 cents per clean up cycle, so let's assume we use 2 clean up cycles, your total cost would be 28 cents a day, or $8.40 a month, turning over 10,440 gallons per day and turning over the content of the tub 24 to 26 times each day.

Sure....but if a tree falls in the forest, is it still my fault?

;D
How do you know how much you don't know?

obi wan

• you're just jealous the voices only talk to ME!
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2005, 11:23:17 am »

So drober, push that clean up cycle with great delight and sleep at night realizing it is on pennies a day. ;D

great idea....
hey who left all these lights on?! the back door is open to.... what are you trying to do air condition the great outdoors?!
dont make me turn this car around.......

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2005, 03:53:01 pm »
You need to press your clean up cycle after each use because Hot Springs Spas do not skim body oils etc. AT ALL unless you do so.  If you use your HS and do not press the 10 minute button, no water gets skimmed.  The circulation pump pulls water throught the lower screens beneath the weir door and cannot pull the weir door down.  

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2005, 04:10:41 pm »
Even though circs are still problematic and pull small amounts of water through filters, they are still more efficient than low speed pumps...slightly anyway.

shabba34

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2005, 04:41:56 pm »
You need to press your clean up cycle after each use because Hot Springs Spas do not skim body oils etc. AT ALL unless you do so.  If you use your HS and do not press the 10 minute button, no water gets skimmed.  The circulation pump pulls water throught the lower screens beneath the weir door and cannot pull the weir door down.  
That is precisely what that function is for.  Why have 1-3 hours of filtration cycles???  To filter water that is already clean???  Maybe the 5 Tri-X filters, 325 sq ft of filtration takes care of in 10 min what 1 filter 25-100 sq ft of filtration takes care of in 1-3 hours. :o

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2005, 05:29:19 pm »

I don' think that's too unreasonable. Pools have automatic clhorinators, a tub could have one too, and on the clean cycle open the valve a bit more to allow a greater amount of chlorine to mix with the water.

Auto coverlifter? Sure.  just like a garage door opener or a covertable car.

;D
Mine is voice activated:

"Honey, go put some chlorine into the spa and leave the cover open for me, willya?"

Works like a charm.

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2005, 05:45:16 pm »
Mine is voice activated:

"Honey, go put some chlorine into the spa and leave the cover open for me, willya?"

Works like a charm.

;)

Chas where do I find a automated one? It's uaually me that is leaving the cover open...and throwing bromine in the spa...ohh btw....just so you all know, my little problem with the cloudiness of the tub while the jets were on high and the air valves were open...it's normal it's "oxygen bubbles" I'm getting that are making the water cloudy (not really what I would call cloudy more like ummmmmm ooohhh yeah what someone told me on here once before "alka selzer  water")

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2005, 05:45:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42