What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: "Ring around the tub"  (Read 11880 times)

Campsalot

• Sundance Maxxus Super Tub
Re: "Ring around the tub"enzyme will ta
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2005, 11:18:26 pm »
Now I have yet another newby question?  How often does the average tub owner change thier water?   My wife and I use our tub 4 to 5 times a week.  We have had this 5 weeks and now the dealer says change the water.  He said this today after I went in to get some PH decreaser and natural enzyme to kill the ring.  He feels the detergentys from our swim wear adds soap to the water and creates the foam and the scum line.  I may actually have bought this should we wash our suits each time.  However, we have not washed the suits but once.  We wear the same ones and don't wash them because we have been told that this can casue chemistry issues.  

Tonight I attempted to conquer the dreaded scum line.  I added a natural enzyme and cleaned the line wiith baking soda.  I then fired up both pumps and got a lot of foam.  I added the anti foam, shut off the jets and the *^%$ ring came back!    AAARGH!  Shall I drain the water and start from scratch???  Help!!  Granted the enzyme will take time to work....so tomorrow that lring better be toast!  Looking forward to reading your responses and thanks again everyone!

Hot Tub Forum

Re: "Ring around the tub"enzyme will ta
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2005, 11:18:26 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: "Ring around the tub"
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 06:54:46 am »
If everything else is OK and the ring is from body oils and stuff like that and not metals the enzyme should work, but it takes some time.  I had the ring after the first use and foam - WOW. I read about Spa Perfect (enzyme) and bought some it disappeared in a day but the water was brand new.

Now with the addition of it on a weekly basis I don't get any foam even when my youngest goes in with shorts (with underwear).

But it has been said many times here - the best chemical is fresh water. I would say that if it's not too expensive to change the water.

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 08:54:56 am »
I've said it on here before but my water line stain was caused by improper Calcium Hardness.

Are there test strips that test for Calcium Hardness?

I use the Taylor Test Kit and it is an easy test.

Twice I filled my tub and both times I received the scum line until I balanced my Calcium Hardness. Never had a problem since.

Drain your water and refill. It’s not that big of deal and does not take long.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 03:20:51 pm »
Soakin' wrote "I can understand keeping levels a little higher to make sure you don't overdo it and end up with an "acid tub", but is there another reason to be a little higher in the pH range?"

Although dichlor is mostly neutral, it does tend to decrease pH anyway, and bromine is quite acidic and much more likely to affect pH downward.  Hence the addition of sanitizer tends to cause pH to drop over time no matter which is used.  Most people sweat in their tubs and this too can cause pH to decrease.  So, generally, for most situations, it would be normal to expect pH to drop over time.  Your results may vary with the water you start with, the sanitizer used, the quantity of chemical used, the frequency of tubbing, your own body chemistry, and diet etc.  

You are correct that dichlor is more effective as a sanitizer at lower pH and in fact would be quite better at somewhere around 6.8.  The problem is that the mechanicals such as pumps, seals, and heaters would be chemically attacked at this level.  So exactly where to set PH is somewhat of a balancing act.  If you are carefully monitoring and adjusting your pH day to day, then your 7.1 to 7.5 target would be great.  For people who might check pH once a week or so, pH could drift down, it would be kinder on the equipment to initially set pH at 7.4 to 7.8 even though the dichlor sanitizing performance is not optimal at that level.  The thinking is that pH would tend to drift down, but by starting a little on the high side would not risk corrosion to expensive equipment.

Regards,

Bill  

Soakin

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2005, 12:41:32 am »
... pH could drift down, it would be kinder on the equipment to initially set pH at 7.4 to 7.8 even though the dichlor sanitizing performance is not optimal at that level...
Bill, I'll very respectfully disagree, if only a little.  As previously stated, I'd rather be closer to a neutral pH and use less dichlor (in a more effective form) to sanitize the tub.  In my experience, pH drifts slowly (0.1/week) and I don't think you have to start that high unless you aren't going to watch it at all.  A tablespoon of soda ash or baking soda when you get down to 7.1 pops it right back up, so corrosion should never be an issue.  

My regards as well,

Cal

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2005, 03:30:53 pm »
Cal,

I see no disagreement between us.  Remember that everyone's results are going to vary a bit.

Regards,

Bill

Campsalot

• Sundance Maxxus Super Tub
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2005, 11:42:19 am »
This issue has been solved.  I changed my water which was really simple.  I drained it overnight, wet vac the remaining water, cleaned the tub with stain and scale, rinsed and wet vac again.  I did not soak the filter because I have Sundance Maxxus with the Microclean Filter.  I did flush it out with the hose though.  The line is gone!  We have also mandated showering prior to tubbing.  No more wax, hear gel, hair spray, cosmetics, and /or other interesting body gobily gook! Now I want to see how long the water will last.
I alos bought a full Taylor water test kit so I can test all levels, not just PH, Bromine, and alkalinity.  Yes, I plan to become a water chemist extrordinar!  Thanks everyone for your posts!

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2005, 08:49:34 am »
This issue has been solved.  I changed my water which was really simple.  I drained it overnight, wet vac the remaining water, cleaned the tub with stain and scale, rinsed and wet vac again.  I did not soak the filter because I have Sundance Maxxus with the Microclean Filter.  I did flush it out with the hose though.  The line is gone!  We have also mandated showering prior to tubbing.  No more wax, hear gel, hair spray, cosmetics, and /or other interesting body gobily gook! Now I want to see how long the water will last.
I alos bought a full Taylor water test kit so I can test all levels, not just PH, Bromine, and alkalinity.  Yes, I plan to become a water chemist extrordinar!  Thanks everyone for your posts!

The Taylor test kit is awsome and really easy to use. I love it!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2005, 08:49:34 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42