What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bromine in hot tub  (Read 9400 times)

david46

• Hot Springs Envoy
Bromine in hot tub
« on: July 17, 2005, 09:16:51 pm »
Hi Folks,My wife and  i have been talking about what kind of side affects bromine could cause or can cause by using in our hot tub.We have come to a conclusion that it is not safe to use in the tub.What do ya think about using bromine in a hot tub?Pros and con if any.

Hot Tub Forum

Bromine in hot tub
« on: July 17, 2005, 09:16:51 pm »

Michelle

• He said "trust me!" so I married him.
Re: Bromine in hot tub
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 09:49:17 pm »
Well, if you have come to a conclusion then I'm not sure that my input will matter.  We use bromine.  I try to kep it down to one ppm.  I run ozone and minerals also.  If we have a bunch of people over to use the tub, I add dichlor.  It sanitizes quicker from what I understand and then it's gone.
Good luck

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 10:44:06 pm »
Can you please share why you feel bromine is not safe. Since you have come to that conclusion .  It is a more stabilized form of Di Chlor.

Soakin

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 11:56:44 pm »
....It is a more stabilized form of Di Chlor.

??? As a member of the halogen family, Bromine is similar to Chlorine, and it is often combined with dichlor to make "bromine tablets",  but it is a different chemical, with its own set of issues, both pro and con.

David46, there have been several discussions on here regarding the pros and cons.  Do a search back a few months on bromine, and I'm sure you'll find some useful info.  In the meantime, I second (actually third)the motion to ask you to share the thoughts behind your conclusion.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 12:02:22 am by Soakin »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 12:49:33 am »
Holy CRAP! I need to start making about 12,000 phone calls then! :o ;)

Bromine is perfectly fine for a hot tub and I have no idea what would lead you to that conclusion? ???

Steve

david46

• Hot Springs Envoy
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 05:13:06 am »
Well folks when we did a search about bromine we found out that it would cause cancer by coming exposed to it over time by soaking through the skin.If that concerned using in a hot tub too i dont know for sure at this point.Of course this was our reason to go another way than bromine.What is your opinion on bromine. :)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 08:42:40 am »
A quick search using bromine and cancer had quite a few hits of varying quality. I did find an onzonator company that did say, "Are you still using cancer causing chlorine in your pool?

http://www.appliedozone.com/spa_pool.html
http://www.antivirol.com/bromine.htm

It looks like an Artic dealer quotes the 2nd link above on thier website

http://www.leisuretimehottubs.com/FAQ/FAQ_WhichChemical.htm
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 08:46:36 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 09:02:38 am »
Wait a sec! If I'm using Bromine I'm going to get Cancer?????? I do not believe taht. In fact I use Bromine in my hot tub have been for the past 3 weeks (btw guys my dealer brought me all the chems I needed and asked for so I'm good to go for awhile) and I love it!!! my water is crystal clear...and very clean. Also I find Chlorine to have a side effect to me and hubby, it causes us to get a bad sinus infections so it was one of the things that prompted us to go with Bromine. Besides the fact that I no longer have dry skin either. So I'm wondering where you got your information from?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 09:42:42 am »
I used bromine in my old tub. It was dispensed via a plastic floating duck.  Bromine gave me horriblely dry itchy skin. I never felt that the bromine was being evenly dispensed and felt the whole system was so-so.  I found mysleft constantly chasing the Bromine level and adjusting the feed holes in the dispensor and adding tablets to it.  I did not like the system.

I'm using Dichlor on my new tub, and so far no dry skin and my test strips indicate I'm pretty much on the money when i test.

just my $.02/
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 10:34:09 am »
I read somewhere that bromine is the most commonly used spa sanitizer.  Not sure if that's true or not, but you'd think that with all of the people using it, if this cancer thing was true, there would be warnings up the wazoo on the stuff.  
I suspect that some companies marketing alternatives to bromine are using scare tactics.  Big suprise there.

If you don't want to use the stuff, don't.  There are lots of alternatives. But I'm not buying into the cancer scare.

Seems to me that sacharine casued cancer too.  OOPS, we were wrong, and banned it for decades, only to reverse the ban.  Caffeine was bad, now it's good, or is it back to being bad again?

Brewman
Brewman

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2005, 02:01:45 pm »
Holy bubbles!!!

I just bought a really cool clip on ash tray and beer holder for the tub and my wife is trying to tell me that they will cause me to get fat and have cancer.  She also claims that the remote for the stereo has made me lazy.

Is the bromine I have been spooning in cause more issues????

david46

• Hot Springs Envoy
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 03:36:22 pm »
Im sure most of you think like we do and think that anything you use will cause some kind of health problems.You just have to decide if that product is for you to use or not.

If you think bromine does cause a healh problem or any other chemicals you then make your decision if you want to keep using it. Remeber its your decision if you want to use.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 04:11:20 pm »
David,

I am sure everyone respects your choice in not using bromine . What is being asked is how and why you feel the way you do. What information did you use to come to this conclusion, I think for many it would be a learning experience to know why.

david46

• Hot Springs Envoy
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 06:37:57 pm »
Mend, I got my info from internet search and some people in the spa business.Its a choice i would rather go natural as much as possible.By searching on google their is a web page that gives info about bromine could cause on your health.It was on the first page that loaded.

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 06:56:41 pm »
David;

I'm using Bromine and could not be happier, I think that some people are trying to fool you by making you think it's bad for you. But, as with choice of tubs and insulation on here it's a choice that is personal, and if you think it's not for your family then by all means go with something else.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 06:56:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42