What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ladies...Be careful with rings while in spa  (Read 3366 times)

tstiffler

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Ladies...Be careful with rings while in spa
« on: July 15, 2005, 01:47:41 am »
My brother and sister-in-law came to visit over the 4th of July holidays.  They really enjoyed the spa and my sister-in-law kept putting her hand on the jets and commenting on how strong they were.  

Well....got a call from them the next day and her diamond had fallen out of her setting.  She seems to think that the force of the jets knocked the diamond loose.   We checked the filter and found lots of bugs, bees and hair stuck to the filter, but unfortunately no diamond.  

I would have never thought this could happen, but if your diamond is loose it's possible.  I had been 8 years since she had the setting checked.

We've looked everywhere and no luck.  So I told her to look on the bright side and hit my brother up for a bigger diamond.  

So, ladies this is warning.  If your ring has not been checked in a while,  it's possibe that it's allready loose and the force of jets may cause the diamond to fall out.
:(

Hot Tub Forum

Ladies...Be careful with rings while in spa
« on: July 15, 2005, 01:47:41 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Ladies...Be careful with rings while in spa
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 07:43:34 am »
Seems like good common sense.  Maybe but a pair of nylons over the drain hose when you empty it.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

fletch49

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 07:54:05 am »
It would not have made it's way to the filter.  A diamond is a dense piece rock and its unlikely to get sucked to the waterline, then into the filter or filter basket.

My wife experienced a similar situation, and it was very upseting for her.

If the diamond fell off in the tub...it will likely be there. You won't visually see it. I would carefully drain the tub down and start to feel around the intake areas and the bottom ring of the jets...things can get stuck in that area of negative pressure.

nicker

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 08:25:19 am »
I agree, when you drain perhaps put a filter sock over the drain intake and keep close eye.  Changes are its sitting on the bottom somewhere.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 08:49:11 am »
And then again, it may not have been lost in the tub.  :-[

Hopefully it was, as you should be able to eventually get it back.

I agree, no way the diamond made it into the fiilter. If it is in the tub it's on the bottom. It probably sank like, well like a rock.  ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 10:16:29 am »
It would not have made it's way to the filter.  A diamond is a dense piece rock and its unlikely to get sucked to the waterline, then into the filter or filter basket.

My wife experienced a similar situation, and it was very upseting for her.

If the diamond fell off in the tub...it will likely be there. You won't visually see it. I would carefully drain the tub down and start to feel around the intake areas and the bottom ring of the jets...things can get stuck in that area of negative pressure.

You reminded me of a similar situation with my wife, but we had no idea over a period of almost a day, when the stone was lost.  We took a 2 million candle power spot light into the car and shined it everywhere. All of a sudden there was a sparkle coming from the carpet near the door.   Nothing shines quite like a diamond.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 10:54:18 am »
So, ladies this is warning.  If your ring has not been checked in a while,  it's possibe that it's allready loose and the force of jets may cause the diamond to fall out.
 :(

I can see my wife now, running out to the spa to hold her Cubic Zurconia ring in front of the strongest jet in our spa.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Kelly

• Hot Springs Accolade!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 10:57:00 am »
Here's a trick I used to find a lost diamond in a in-ground pool. Use a waterproof flashlight held with the beam shining flat across the bottom of the tub. I'll need to be dark outside, obviously. Diamonds refract light differently than water does, the stone will cast a very noticeable shadow on the side away from the beam. When I did this in the pool I used a swim mask - which would probably be a good idea for the tub too, the surface ripples would likely make it hard to see the shadow.

fletch49

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 11:20:48 am »

You reminded me of a similar situation with my wife, but we had no idea over a period of almost a day, when the stone was lost.  We took a 2 million candle power spot light into the car and shined it everywhere. All of a sudden there was a sparkle coming from the carpet near the door.   Nothing shines quite like a diamond.

good idea...I wish I would have thought of that!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 12:08:29 pm »
Homeowners insurance claim, or maybe she has one of those warranties on the ring the replaces lost stones.  Sounds like a problem with the ring.
Brewman
Brewman

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2005, 07:38:22 am »
I just make it a habit not to wear rings into the tub!  
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 09:39:44 am »
I just make it a habit not to wear rings into the tub!  

Me too Lori..oh wait I wear a band so I don't have to worry about that..I got told I could never ever have another diamond again after I lost mine when I was working for the nursing home, I put my $700 diamond engagement ring in my pocket of my scrubs and when I went to put it back on...it was GONE!! Needless to say I went from a diamond on my hand to a simple gold band...at my request..he was actually going to buy me the whole set again!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 09:39:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42