What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I've noticed...............  (Read 2998 times)

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
I've noticed...............
« on: July 11, 2005, 03:44:21 pm »
that you all are talking about calcium levels....umm no idea what your all talking about there..I've not had to test mine. So should I be????? Everything is in balance I had to add some bromine concentrate today, it was a little on the light side so, other than that. I add my stain and scale once a week, sometimes when everything is in range and I still get a icky cloudy water I just add a bit of water clarifier in and it clears it right up. I've had to add the ph increaser once and the alk. increaser also only once, other than that it looks like I use more water clarifier, and bromine than anything else. Ohh and I also through some 303 on the cover once a week too.

Hot Tub Forum

I've noticed...............
« on: July 11, 2005, 03:44:21 pm »

SDguy

• Where do they get these names for spas?
Re: I've noticed...............
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 04:48:18 pm »
The calcium hardness of the water pending on how it is can do damage to jets, pumps and the filter. It can destroy jets with bearings as well as pump seals and clog the filter easier, therefore having to degrease it more often=time=money.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 05:59:05 pm »
that you all are talking about calcium levels....umm no idea what your all talking about there..I've not had to test mine. So should I be?????

Talk to your dealer, they'll know what your water source is like and what you should be looking out for.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

nicker

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 08:22:45 am »
somthing you should definetly have checked.  I find my water comes out of the tape too soft so I have to actually had calicum to it to harden it up.  Once I do a water change I give it a few days and then bring a sample to my dealer to test.   I don't really have a way to test the hardness.  I have strips but find they don't work very well (very hard to read).  I have heard wallmart sells test kits, I will have to check them out.  I usually also try to bring a water sample in around the 2 month mark.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 08:34:21 am »
Too much calcium makes the water hard and can affect pumps and seals.  Not enough calcium will cause the water to cloud up, foam to develop and so on.  Take a sample of your water to the chemical store and ask them to test it.  If you need to adjust calcium they will tell you.  From your description is sounds like you might need to add calcium.

Regards,

Bill

Backpains

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 06:15:56 pm »
Ok...here's what I was told about the calcium.  As long as I'm adding the stain and scale on a weekly basis not to worry about it.  I should not have a problem with it as long as it's summer. But this fall and winter it will show.  But he said the stain and scale is the most important in relieving this problem...what do you guys think?? ???

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 08:07:49 pm »
I guess there's 2 ways to treat this: add calcium to you get about 200 PPM or add stain and scale control as your dealer said. Personally, I would choose and did choose the calcium route - you add it once every water change and your done. Unless your adding the scale and stain control for a reason. Also if by adding calcium you eliminate the other, it will probably save you some money - not a lot but some.

Some people opt for calcium and some don't. I am a believer in balanced water, but thats my opinion. I have found through pool ownership that balanced water stays nicer longer but I will say that hot water IS behaving differently than I expected!

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 10:40:41 pm »
I agree with Vinny,

I use the balanced water approach and Calcium Hardness is part of that equation.

It is specifically mention in my owners manual and in the Taylor test kit I bought.

It is super easy to test for with the Taylor kit.

I get a hard yellow water line when I fill my tub until I balance my calcium hardness. Once I add the chem. it has always remained stable, not like PH and Alk.

Stain and scale needs to be added regularly and to me that’s just extra chems you’re soaking in.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 11:58:37 pm »
You will also get a lot more foam if your calcium level is too low.  We didn't add calcium when we first got our tub as we had no way of testing for it at the time.  All I had was the test strips.  We had a TON of foam that first couple of months.  By the time we changed our water we had a proper kit and the hardness our of the hose was only about 50ppm.  Once we get it between 150 and 200 the foam basically went away.  Now we only get it when folks come over with suits that have been recently washed.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Backpains

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 09:08:56 am »
Ok gang..I've got no foam the water is nice and clear and just great. I chose to do exactly what my dealer tells me is right cause well....he knows best as far as I'm concerned. If he's telling me my best defense is to use my stain and scale once a week and make sure my filters are clean, and to clean my jets when we empty the tub than that's what I'm going to do.  I realize that chems are a personal choice and you all have your way of doing things and I have my way.

BP

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 09:26:33 am »
Ok gang..I've got no foam the water is nice and clear and just great. I chose to do exactly what my dealer tells me is right cause well....he knows best as far as I'm concerned. If he's telling me my best defense is to use my stain and scale once a week and make sure my filters are clean, and to clean my jets when we empty the tub than that's what I'm going to do.  I realize that chems are a personal choice and you all have your way of doing things and I have my way.

BP

If you've got a dealer that is giving you good support then you can't go wrong following their recommendations.  You're right that there are a lot of options and personal choices in terms of water care.  Bottom line is that you find something that you are comfortable with and works for you.  Then all you need to do is sit back and enjoy your tub!!  Water care get's easier as you go and now for us it's not even something we worry about.  We just do what works and nothing else.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 09:26:33 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42