What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Anyone hove exp. with Stainless steel Jets...  (Read 4493 times)

luigi311

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Anyone hove exp. with Stainless steel Jets...
« on: July 09, 2005, 08:09:20 am »
specifically Sundance jets.  I was told that they would corrode and look nasty in two to four years.

Hot Tub Forum

Anyone hove exp. with Stainless steel Jets...
« on: July 09, 2005, 08:09:20 am »

Gary1911

• Master Spa LSX!
Re: Anyone hove exp. with Stainless steel Jets...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 08:16:02 am »
I don't have exp. with them on Hotubs but being in the marine biz stainLESS is just that.. less. They may be fine in tubs but when I bought mine I did not add them on.  I have seen Windogs tub with them and the look great! [We have the same tub ;)]  If they do discolor I think you could remove them and buff or clean them [like ya want another job huh?] I'm sure a pro will jump in here shortly..

Gary

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 08:49:58 am »
It all has to do with water chemistry and the quality of the stainless steel. I have seen 2 Y O stainless rust and 35 Y O stainless look as good as new.

If you have unbalanced water - not only are your jets going to corrode but everything metal as well - a heater has metal elements - it will go too!

I personally have SS in my tub - the dealer sells them that way. I would have never thought of ordering them as an option but they do dress up the tub IMO.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 09:01:22 am »
specifically Sundance jets.  I was told that they would corrode and look nasty in two to four years.

Did a consumer that owned a tub tell you this, or was it a competing retailer?

My guess is the latter.

I worked at a store in Burlington. We took out an old tub to install a new Dimension 1. The old tub was a Lifestyle. It was at least 10 years old if not older. The acrylic shell showed more signs of wear than the stainless jets. The jet escutions looked brand new.

As Vinny mentioned, water chemistry is the key. If your chemistry is bad enough to tarnish the stainless jet escutions, you will other more serious problems to worry about such as pump seals, jets gaskets, corroded heater elements etc...
Homeworks Financing Representative

J._McD

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 09:31:02 am »

This is so far out in left field, it is rediculous. ::)

With over 3,000 SD spas in consumer hand, I have never had anyone have a single problem with a stainless steel jet.  

First, they are very easily replaced, secondly would indicate that you have poisend your spa.  And I would be very quick to add that my customers have never had a problem such as this, because we help them monitor water conditions and use ozone extensivley.

This sounds like some salesperson trying to create fear in your mind about a competitor.  If that is the case, take them off your shopping list.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 11:17:47 am »
I picked that up somewhere and began telling folks that several years ago. Then I realized what I was doing was repeating some unsubstantiated bit of trash-talk and I stopped. I have seen a grand total of ONE spa with dark stainless, and they had messed up the chems so badly I was there replacing the heater and the pump shaft seals.

I don't like the fact that a local dealer tells folks that their stainless steel jets are somehow better than our non-stainless steel jets - I'm sure neither will have trouble over a good long life of enjoyable use.

If you like the look of stainless steel trim rings enough, buy the spa. Of course, those things didn't get there for free....

::)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2005, 03:59:20 pm »
Three years with mine and they look the same as day one.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005, 04:10:30 pm »
I don't like the fact that a local dealer tells folks that their stainless steel jets are somehow better than our non-stainless steel jets - I'm sure neither will have trouble over a good long life of enjoyable use.

Well Chas;

I won't mention any brands, but one of my local competitors likes to lead people to beleive he sells stainless steel jets as opposed to jets with stainless escutions.

Can you imagine the cost if the whole jet assembly was stainless steel?
Homeworks Financing Representative

J._McD

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2005, 05:14:55 pm »
Fancy hub cabs, they sparkle and do nothing, take 'em or leave 'em, doesn't change the water or the experience and they are not a good reason to buy.  Eye candy, they simply add to the fit and finish, they look nice and they d**n well better be stainless, any thing less than stainless steel will be a big dissappointment in 6 months. :(

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2005, 05:35:51 pm »
2+ years on the stainless steel escutcheons, and no signs of trouble.  They still look brand new.
And that's with almost a full years soaking in the dreaded Baqau water.
Brewman
Brewman

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2005, 07:35:00 pm »
If you like the SS jets go for it. I have seen them corrode and they're not for me for that reason and they're a bit too "showy" for my taste but its not as if they corrode in 1 week. If they had no issues and customers really were looking for them you'd see them all over. They they don't have a huge demand but some certainly like them.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2005, 11:18:58 pm »
OK, gang......these stainless trim rings will be in place for 1 year next Monday.....and they look the same today as when installed.  Fancy hubcaps, eye candy, too showy.....maybe but ya gotta admit they sure look good....and under that led at night, too.  The only drawback I've found to them is that sometimes the ring will slip around the escutcheon when trying to remove a rather reticent jet....no biggie..... 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

tootall

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2005, 12:29:12 am »
If you had 220 stainless you would have rust problems 330 is marine Grade and will not rust as fast if you do something stupid i.e. use bleach or some unapoved chems it will damage the stainless. Plus a whole lot more. My brother Has had his hot tub for 12 years and no problems with his stainless.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2005, 10:21:38 am »
Three years with mine and they look the same as day one.

2.5 years and mine are just fine.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2005, 10:19:42 am »
OK, gang......these stainless trim rings will be in place for 1 year next Monday.....and they look the same today as when installed.

It will be 6 years in November for me. Pretty as the day I first added water....

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2005, 10:19:42 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42