What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How often do you test your water?  (Read 3974 times)

Gary1911

• Master Spa LSX!
How often do you test your water?
« on: July 09, 2005, 08:23:55 am »
Everyday every other day ?

First question of many  ;)

Hot Tub Forum

How often do you test your water?
« on: July 09, 2005, 08:23:55 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: How often do you test your water?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 08:42:23 am »
Well, I test my water everyday until I feel comfortable that I kind of know what's going on - I did that with my pool too.

For my pool it took me about 2 years to realize I have a handle on it. Now that my brain block is cleared, it seems that I test the water every other day to every 2 days for both pool and spa. I was having an issue with PH in the spa but I believe I have it solved.

If your using Bromine with a feeder then I would recommend that you test every day until you get the bromine dose down pat. If your using Chlorine I would test until you comfortable that x teaspoons will give you y PPM of chlorine. Right now I'm using Vermonter's way of dosing chlorine less the N2 cartridge - I believe I'm going to have to invoke Chas' Law so I didn't want to put it in there. I have found that I need 2 teaspoons to get my 400 gal tub up to 2 -3 PPM Chlorine AFTER I get out.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 08:42:59 am by Vinny »

Gary1911

• Master Spa LSX!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 08:54:38 am »
Well, I test my water everyday until I feel comfortable that I kind of know what's going on - I did that with my pool too.

For my pool it took me about 2 years to realize I have a handle on it. Now that my brain block is cleared, it seems that I test the water every other day to every 2 days for both pool and spa. I was having an issue with PH in the spa but I believe I have it solved.

If your using Bromine with a feeder then I would recommend that you test every day until you get the bromine dose down pat. If your using Chlorine I would test until you comfortable that x teaspoons will give you y PPM of chlorine. Right now I'm using Vermonter's way of dosing chlorine less the N2 cartridge - I believe I'm going to have to invoke Chas' Law so I didn't want to put it in there. I have found that I need 2 teaspoons to get my 400 gal tub up to 2 -3 PPM Chlorine AFTER I get out.

After you get out? You close the lid? Do you leave the pumps on or just the circ? Does this hurt the cover?

Yep everyone is right here come the questions ;D

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 09:12:32 am »
If you go to Doc's site - rhtubs - and go to the FAQ section in the forum look for Vermonter's and Northman's names. They outline how they do things.

But to answer your questions, I do dose after I get out to 2-3 PPM. I turn on the pumps and leave the lid open for about 5 minutes, then let the circ pump do it's thing. From what I've read - 2-3 PPM won't hurt the cover or headrests (if you have them). Supposedly O3 off gassing is a bigger culprit of the destruction of these!

I do use a foam blanket on the water and I set my "filter" cycle to come on at Midnight and Noon. My tub turns on all the pumps for about 1 minute at the beginning of the cycle to blow out the lines.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 11:49:14 am »
Once in a while. Give or take....

Tip: when you add Dichlor to a spa, run the jets with the lid open for five minutes at least.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 02:41:22 pm »
I'm still new at this chem thing so I'm testing every day at least onces sometimes twice if my levels are a little low. I'll probably get into a routine but for now I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

BP

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2005, 04:05:44 pm »
Once per week as a general rule unless something does not look or smell right.  With teenagers, you never know what is entering the tub.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005, 05:39:12 pm »
Usually twice per week, once I get new water dialed in.  I have to add a lot of PH decreaser to balance things, and to get the bromine registering.  From then maybe 2 times per week, sometimes once.  
Brewman
Brewman

J._McD

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2005, 07:52:37 pm »
First water test = sight and smell.  If you "see" the water or if you can "smell" the water you have a problem and you need to TEST the water to identify and correct the problem.

It is pointless to test "sparkling clean and crystal clear water".  It ain't broke, no need to fix it. ;D

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2005, 08:07:49 pm »
When we first got our tub, it was almost every day.  Now that we seem to know whats what, we only test on Thursdays.  We shock Sunday nights and usually by Thurs we have low pH and need 1.5T pH up.  Our water really stays very stable.  The dichlor just causes the pH to dip a bit.  

Gary1911

• Master Spa LSX!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2005, 08:33:28 pm »
First water test = sight and smell.  If you "see" the water or if you can "smell" the water you have a problem and you need to TEST the water to identify and correct the problem.

It is pointless to test "sparkling clean and crystal clear water".  It ain't broke, no need to fix it. ;D

So if ya smell chlorine your OK  ;) I kan du taht  ;D [leans over shoulder and yells to wife hell that waters fine!]  Thanks Mac look at all the $$ ya saved me ;) ;) ;D

ps I do know what your sayin just a joke

J._McD

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2005, 09:36:32 pm »

So if ya smell chlorine your OK  ;) I kan du taht  ;D [leans over shoulder and yells to wife hell that waters fine!]  Thanks Mac look at all the $$ ya saved me ;) ;) ;D

ps I do know what your sayin just a joke

Gary1911, you failed the test, if you smell chlorine, you SMELL something, that is WHEN you TEST the water, your pH is out of balance, now pay attention  ::) once again, If you see the water, (that means if its cloudy or anything other than crystal clear) OR if you Smell the water (even if it's chlorine) TEST THE WATER, do you get it now!

If your pH is out of balance you will get gas off the water and that is what you smell.  So, if you smell something, test the water, you will find out your pH is out of balance. ;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 09:42:33 pm by J._McD »

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2005, 10:59:27 pm »
We test ours 3 times per week, no more, no less. It seems to be working out well for us. We also take a water sample to our dealership once a month for a more detailed tests.

Gary1911

• Master Spa LSX!
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2005, 10:22:52 am »
Gary1911, you failed the test, if you smell chlorine, you SMELL something, that is WHEN you TEST the water, your pH is out of balance, now pay attention  ::) once again, If you see the water, (that means if its cloudy or anything other than crystal clear) OR if you Smell the water (even if it's chlorine) TEST THE WATER, do you get it now!

If your pH is out of balance you will get gas off the water and that is what you smell.  So, if you smell something, test the water, you will find out your pH is out of balance. ;)

OOoooooooooohhhhhhhhhh  ;) I was just funnin with ya ya know, jokin around, havin a yuck

I still can't believe I failed though :o ;D ;)

I've got more than my ph out of balance ;)

Gary

« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 10:23:31 am by Gary1911 »

J._McD

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2005, 12:12:19 pm »

OOoooooooooohhhhhhhhhh  ;) I was just funnin with ya ya know, jokin around, havin a yuck

I've got more than my ph out of balance ;)

I still can't believe I failed though :o ;D ;)

Gary

Use and enjoy, everything you need to know will fall into palce.  Now put that bottle of wine in the fridge and get some of those candles.   ;)

I recognized some of your humor but you still said, "smell....chlorine...ok" and you should not smell chlorine gassing off the water that would be an idicator your pH would be out of balance.  

Now write, If I smell anything I will test the water 10 times and I will give you a passing grade. ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2005, 12:12:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42