What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Foaming  (Read 3804 times)

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
Foaming
« on: July 07, 2005, 04:44:40 pm »
Well, Ive had my tub just over a week now.  I think (my wife hates that) I have that chemical thing working.

I know you get some foaming when all the jets are on - the question is how much?  It all dissipates within a couple of min after everything is turned off, then the water goes clear like it is suppose to.

It just seems like alot.

It does go away if foam out is added.

We rinsed all our suits twice before the initial use and we rinse them out after each use.  True they are rinsed in soft water.  Could that be it?

r100rs

Hot Tub Forum

Foaming
« on: July 07, 2005, 04:44:40 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Foaming
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 04:54:07 pm »
The soft water rinse on the suits is a good idea. Many things can cause foam but typically 10% of the culprits cause 90% of the problems. Besides suits, try to limit sun blocks, moisturizers, cosmetics, hair gel, etc. from getting in the spa. Things like shampoo residual and deodorants will add to it and lead people to say you should shower before entering but I'm not one to make anyone in my family shower first unless they're lathered up with the aforementioned items. If you have teenage girls or a Tammy Faye Bakker type wife all I can say is, GOOD LUCK! If the foam gets bad and you don’t want to drain/refill you can try an enzyme or Spa Bright & Clear but realize these work by helping your spa filter out these contaminants (they gotta go somewhere) so always rinse your filter the next day after using them.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 07:19:46 pm »
Yup - I am blessed with 3 daughters  ;)   ;)   ;)

and no Tammy Fayes!!!

One is on a swim team 4 times a week - so I don't think she is the culprit.  My oldest one acts like a guest around here, but she has been in only once.

So its down to me, my wife and the third one.

Knowing my luck, I'll end up being the guilty one.

Will try a few more things and as a worse case do a water change.

thanks

r100rs

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 08:45:47 pm »
I've got a couple of suits that are dedicated to tub use....I only put one on long enough to get into the tub and then toss it on the lip of the tub for use just before exiting.  I never wash these suits.....why bother?  I think this helps tremedously as the foam is definitely more evident when guests wear their suits in the tub.  I've even got a few friends that frequent the tub who bring their own suits that they never wash as well...... 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 09:26:14 pm »
I've got a couple of suits that are dedicated to tub use....I only put one on long enough to get into the tub and then toss it on the lip of the tub for use just before exiting.  I never wash these suits.....why bother?  I think this helps tremedously as the foam is definitely more evident when guests wear their suits in the tub.  I've even got a few friends that frequent the tub who bring their own suits that they never wash as well...... 8)

Exactly what I do....

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 09:27:13 pm »
My tub does the same thing when air is injected. I read up on it and added calcium to get the water to over 200 hardness - NO GOOD. I added Spa Perfect and it did help but the foaming is like I added Alka Seltzer to the water - pumps stop and the tub clears in 5 minutes as mentioned.

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 11:02:20 am »

Exactly what I do....

Ditto for us

We have had a build up of foam which accumalates (grows larger with every use) since we started it up (3 weeks ago) Once a week, when doing the other chemicals, I add a deformer, which seems to work instantly.

So how about this theory... if our city water is hard enough as not to rinse all the soap off our bods when regular showering/ bathing, could this be a source of the foam?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 11:04:51 am »
Water with low Calcium Hardness tends to foam more.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 11:07:29 am »
I'm having a slight foaming as well. And there are no suits in my tub.  (well once. when we had company).

The foam down works ok. In my old bromine tub, the foam down worked in an instant.  I'm finding foam down a splash of enzime and twist of water calirfier seem to work for me.    8)
07 Caldera Geneva

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2005, 11:23:37 am »
Water with low Calcium Hardness tends to foam more.

I use the Aquachek test dip strips. Just checked the readings:

Total Hardness (as CaCO3): 250ppm
PH: 7.6
Total Alkalinity: 80ppm
All the above reading in the "OK" range
Bromine is low, using CD ozonator

Maybe I need to get a real test kit ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2005, 11:23:37 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42