What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HELP w/first time spa buyer  (Read 7009 times)

cappykat

HELP w/first time spa buyer
« on: July 06, 2005, 10:21:59 pm »
We are purchasing a hot tub for the first time.  It is medically necessary.  We have only looked at one brand, Leisure Bay, Mediterranean model for $8,400.  This is second from the top of the line with waterfall, stereo, 33 jets, 10hp motor.

Has anyone out there owned a Leisure Bay spa and are they happy with it?  Any problems or concerns we should be aware of?  Also, would you recommend another brand for that amount of money?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 10:23:27 pm by cappykat »
2005 Marquis Epic

Hot Tub Forum

HELP w/first time spa buyer
« on: July 06, 2005, 10:21:59 pm »

tootall

Re: HELP w/first time spa buyer
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 10:36:04 pm »
I would do a few things
1. wet test it make sure the jets feel good to you whats good to me might feel awful to you vis versa.
2. look at more brands there are several that fall in that price range.
1.Sundance, Jaquzzi made by the same company.
2Marquis Very good brand I bought mine this past week
3Hot springs.
and wet test all these brands. So you know what you want.
Best of luck and have fun.
I am still getting my ground work done to place my tub

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 11:00:36 pm »
...and question them about how they promote a 10 HP motor...  :o  There's no such thing. ;D

Steve

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 09:09:15 am »
...and question them about how they promote a 10 HP motor...  :o  There's no such thing. ;D

Steve

Perhaps this is one of those ads where its actually 3 pumps totaling 10hp?
I'm trying to see if they have a website.

Cappy, Where do you live? Are you buying this from a local dealer?  I see they are offered on Ebay, and it looks like their website isn't up.  Kind of worries me.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 09:13:10 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

buckeyespa

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 09:30:06 am »
Heres their website:

http://spasbyleisurebay.com/mediterranean.html
They are part of Recreational Factory Warehouse, out of Florida.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 10:17:55 am by wmccall »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 09:51:36 am »
I'm not familliar with Leisure bay spa.

However, $8500 buys a pretty decent spa from the major manufactuers. Since you mentioned you are a first time buyer, I'd strongly recomend looking around a bit at what the others manufactuers offer in that price range before making a final committment.

After looking around, I personally didn't care for the steroe, and although I have a waterfall on mine, I wouldn't go out of my way to have it. It's cool. It's neat, but I kinda look at it like the air spoliers you see on alot of cars today: yea, it dresses it up a bit, but doens't really do anything and after a week you don't really even notice that it's there.  ;)

Good luck.
07 Caldera Geneva

cappykat

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 10:02:00 am »
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.  We are going to look at some other brands before making a final decision.
2005 Marquis Epic

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 10:19:02 am »
Thanks Buckeye

Oddly enough, they don't talk about the pumps. Most dealers/websites throw that in, but maybe that isn't a bad thing.  If I was buying today, the number of pumps would be more important to me than HP, at least at first.
 Looks like 5 seats, which in a 92x92" spa would be pretty roomy.  With two loungers, I would almost think a wet test would be a requirement. I'd hate to find out you float out of 40% of the seats.  Thats a big footwell area for 3 people and that area between the loungers might serve as a cool down seat.  

(I've never seen one of these, so this is just my casual observations. )
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 10:33:36 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 10:30:51 am »
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.  We are going to look at some other brands before making a final decision.

If you are comfortable with the $8500 pricetag you mentioned above, you should have lots of choices.

PS, to the rest of you, Cappy is in Orlando, FL, so pile on the suggestions.

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 04:18:59 pm »
Remember to keep all your paperwork since you say, "It is medically necessary" for tax purposes.

And as stated before, 85 big ones will buy you one heck of a spa.  Shop around though.

r100rs

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 04:42:01 pm »
If you are truly interested in a double lounger, take a good look at the 530, made by Marquis Spas. I beleive it to be a better quality product by a superior manufacturer. It is a 7' model with alot of nice features. Go to marquisspas.com, click on everyday hottubs.
I remember some time ago when dealers were referring to Leisure bay as LEAKY BAY.

be very careful,

hottubber... ;D

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 07:58:34 pm »
Thanks Buckeye

Oddly enough, they don't talk about the pumps. Most dealers/websites throw that in, but maybe that isn't a bad thing.  If I was buying today, the number of pumps would be more important to me than HP, at least at first.
 Looks like 5 seats, which in a 92x92" spa would be pretty roomy.  With two loungers, I would almost think a wet test would be a requirement. I'd hate to find out you float out of 40% of the seats.  Thats a big footwell area for 3 people and that area between the loungers might serve as a cool down seat.  

(I've never seen one of these, so this is just my casual observations. )

Thinking back, I was pitched on this product a few months back. I beleive it is 2 * 4HP Massage Pumps and a 2HP circ/blower motor.

The pitch was also very much about the "Black Diamond" insulation.

I wasnt impressed.
Homeworks Financing Representative

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 08:09:53 pm »
Remember to keep all your paperwork since you say, "It is medically necessary" for tax purposes.

And as stated before, 85 big ones will buy you one heck of a spa.  Shop around though.

r100rs

Good points made by r100rs and others.  You may already know this but if you have a prescription for a hot tub, Florida sales tax is completely waived.

Good luck and look for my pm to you. 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2005, 10:33:57 pm »
Take a good look at the lounge.  It's so crooked you can't even lie down properly in it.  The lounge is also so shallow your shoulders barely get under water.  They lie about horsepower, they mislead about warranty.  They'll tell you 10 years and lifetime for everything.  You actually get a 1 year labor, 2 year parts and the plumbing warranty mentions defects in manifold fittings and does not mention leaks at all.  This is one company I will call out everytime.  They give the entire spa industry a black eye.  They are in the southeast and market extremely well.  

jaxxon

• Friends dont let friends soak alone...
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005, 09:13:31 am »
Agree with everyone, look at other brands and wet test first.  Leisure bay uses ( black diamond) on the shells.  Not a big selling point.  There motors are 3 or 4 hp, with 5 hp wet ends with a 3 inch plumming and collar.  The warranty is tricky, it is proratted.  They just came out with an extened warranty you can purchase seperatly.  Dont have much info on the extended warranty.  There big game is to try and sell you everything seperatly, then bring the manager over and he throws everytthing as included.  
Another suggestion in your area with a double lounger would be the Vita Allure
91.5 x 75.5 x 36
8 hp water, 1 air
45 jets. 1 waterfall
price will vary, but under 8K

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005, 09:13:31 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42