What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Mosquito’s  (Read 12692 times)

NDfar

Mosquito’s
« on: June 21, 2005, 09:00:26 am »
Boy are the mosquito’s bad here! :P Just about need a breathing tube to go under water to get away from them ;)  What do you do for mosquito’s control?  I know there are some areas that don't have them so moving is out of the question at this time :D   I might need to get a screen tent to put around the tub.  I tried spraying last night but they still came.  I closed my cover so it was sitting at about a 45 degee angle and they didn't like coming under there, I guess the chemicals keep them away.  I asked my dealer when we first got the tub and they said they never had a problem. ???  Boy are they wrong.  Well the first hatch is on so maybe they will slow down.

Hot Tub Forum

Mosquito’s
« on: June 21, 2005, 09:00:26 am »

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
Re: Mosquito’s
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 09:09:53 am »
I am just north of you NDfar in Manitoba - and yes, the mosquito's are brutal. We have had a long, wet, soggy spring and are just now getting some clear, hot temps. With all the water lying around (our house backs onto a forest) and the combined heat you couldn't ask for better breeding conditions.

This is our first summer with the tub and already we have noticed that the mosquito's are going to be a problem. I had thought that once inside the tub we'd be alright, but was quite wrong. We are running a mosquito magnet and are hoping that this really takes a dent out of them. Other than that, our soaks have been a little shorter lately. :(

Other than a gazebo of some sort I'm not sure what you could really do. I do not want to block my view of the sky and the forest so for us this is out of the question. We'll just have to wait it out I guess - winter should be around again in these parts in a few weeks right?  ;)

Good luck and let me know if anything you try works!

Jc
How do you know how much you don't know?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 09:20:16 am »
Some of the Pool/Spa/Patio places I've been to are selling the Misquti Magnets and Deleto's.  (propoane fueled Co2 generator ) to trap the mosiquitos.  I've seen these units sell for $400-1200 dollars depending on size.

Does anyone here have one? Or perhaps some of the store owners here carry them? I'd be very interested in hearing your experices with it.
07 Caldera Geneva

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 09:38:09 am »
Yes, we purchased a Mosquito Magnet last summer, but I cannot give you a fair assessment just yet. We got it during the tail end of summer and have not yet used it for the entire duration.

We are very curious to see what happens. In the short time that we did use it last year, I can tell you - it works. In just a few weeks, our little magnet had captured enough female mosquito's to fill a large ziplock bag!

In order for the magnet to be effective, it takes about 4-6 weeks to really make a difference. It traps the female mosquitos and thus reduces the breeding potential. Since mosquitos do not migrate, once you have done this your immediate area should be/supposed to be realatively mosquito free. I sure hope so!

Jc

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 09:41:54 am »
If you are going to run the magnet make sure it is far away from the tub cause the C02 and heat attracts them first then traps them, but you are also giving off C02 and the tub is generating lots of heat amking for the perfect breeding ground.  I use the fogger, fog early in the morning to kill off the adults or just before dark.
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

obi wan

• you're just jealous the voices only talk to ME!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 09:42:41 am »
i am also very interested in anyones experience with the propane tank type mosquito traps. been looking at epinions, and other reveiw sites. seems to be about 70pro/30con split. they work great or they are a waste of money.
anybody here actually have one??? does it work?
here in se VA the bug experts are predicting record setting mosquitos this year......

obi wan

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 09:47:00 am »
how often do you change the propane tank?
Yes, we purchased a Mosquito Magnet last summer, but I cannot give you a fair assessment just yet. We got it during the tail end of summer and have not yet used it for the entire duration.

We are very curious to see what happens. In the short time that we did use it last year, I can tell you - it works. In just a few weeks, our little magnet had captured enough female mosquito's to fill a large ziplock bag!

In order for the magnet to be effective, it takes about 4-6 weeks to really make a difference. It traps the female mosquitos and thus reduces the breeding potential. Since mosquitos do not migrate, once you have done this your immediate area should be/supposed to be realatively mosquito free. I sure hope so!

Jc

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 09:55:29 am »
I've heard similliar reports to Obi Wan. Either love it or they are a waste.  Most of the problems I've read about occur into the 2nd and 3rd year of use and involve failure of the "ignitor".  Anyone use one for 2+ years?

Does anyone know why the price difference?  I've seen 1/2 acre models priced around $400, and i belive full acre modelsfor about $500, and then I saw a 1.5 acre unit (I think) retail for $1200? That seems to be a huge jump.

How much propane do these use per season?

« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 09:56:47 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 10:03:44 am »
Ndfar,

I live in N.E  in the woods and have some misquito issues as well.  I have moderate luck with tiki torches around the tub filled with the cintronela oil.   Adds a nice touch at night, but there is a saftey factor.
07 Caldera Geneva

obi wan

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 10:08:26 am »
most of the reports where people say the work great seem to be about 1 tank used every 3 weeks or so. here in my neck of the woods, a tank refill is $14. works out to about $20 month to run it. that would be money well spent(with pleasure) ....... IF it works.
i am merely hoping to make my yard enjoyable. my whole lot is less than 1/2 acre, so back yard is roughly 1/4 or 1/5 of an acre.
now if i could talk several neighbors to also get them, we might be onto something........
FYI... "wallymart" has a 1/2 acre mosquito deleto "system" for $190. the system includes 2 tabletop mosquito repellant devices.
think i am going to give it a shot. can always be returned if it doesn't work....

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 10:15:43 am »
now if i could talk several neighbors to also get them, we might be onto something

From my research, I understand that mosquitos are not migratory. That is, once you reduce the population in your immediate area you should notice significant results. Only your closest neighbours should matter and only if you have a moderate size lot and are in close proximity to them.

And yes, we change our tank every 21 days. There are also scent accelerants that you can use to attract the buggers for additional $$
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 10:17:06 am by JcDenton »

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 10:18:50 am »
That's why I decided that it would be best to enclose the whole damn thing!  ;) The Spring was unusually slow for mosquito's but I think now that the heat is here it's going to be a god send that I decided to enclose it!

My mom and dad always told me "never can have too much protection" I think since I've got a bad back and don't get to do "that" very often....that this will be a good quote for the sketters

J._McD

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 10:28:59 am »
Love em or hate em, the 30% that hate em usually have them in the wrong wind pattern or placement.  They have proven to be very effective but there is a lot of confusion as to where is the best placement.  Basic rule is, you want the mosquitos to catch the C2O of the magnet and not yours.

Different models have different limitations requiring electrical hook up.  The more expensive models are completely freestanding and independent.

We had a problem with our "ignitor" type mosquito magnet.  I sent it back to Frontgate and paid for the upgrade to the newer version when "Mosquito Magnet" would not do anything for me, can you imagine that.  

We are still working on just the right place to put it.  I notice copies or "knock off's" showing up now at discounter such as Sam's and Costco.  We had contacted "Mosquito Magnet" about becoming a dealer.  They were not interested in dealers, they were more interested in wholesaler's and mass distributors.

We had hoped to get them and provide them free with the purchase of a spa.  That didn't work out, they were more interested in mass markets.  Lot's of luck on negotiating a price on this desireable item, they do not want their product discounted.  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 10:38:50 am »

We had a problem with our "ignitor" type mosquito magnet.  I sent it back to Frontgate and paid for the upgrade to the newer version when "Mosquito Magnet" would not do anything for me, can you imagine that.  

J-McD, what model do you have?
07 Caldera Geneva

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 12:48:08 pm »
I'm in a more urban enviorment, but 4 citronella torches work good enough for me.   That and make sure there is no standing water around.  We are off to a dry spring here.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 12:48:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42