What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chlorine or Bromide ????  (Read 4980 times)

msgreek

Chlorine or Bromide ????
« on: July 01, 2005, 03:13:15 pm »
Ok...Now that my spa is due to arrive within 14 days can we start a new thread regarding chlorine or Bromide (proper word or spelling???).  My Jacuzzi sales rep promotes the Bromide (or Baqua Spa) but another spa rep had tons of negatives against the Bromide.  
    My concerns will be either’s affect on skin and clothing and of course the smell.  Are there other hidden issues I should consider?
Many thanks in advance for advice to a newbie  :-/ ??? ???

Hot Tub Forum

Chlorine or Bromide ????
« on: July 01, 2005, 03:13:15 pm »

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
Re: Chlorine or Bromide ????
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 03:40:45 pm »
msgreek:

I use bromine in my Coleman because I do not like the smell of clorine and it seems to have an ill effect on my skin, where as bromine doesn't so far...I use my tub alot about 5-6 times per day so I wanted something that wouldn't be adversely affected by my hot tub useage. Hope this helps

Backpains (still calling myself that guys and my next thread will tell you all why)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 03:56:02 pm »
Bromine does tend to have an odor that sticks with you a tiny bit, doesn't really bother me.  It's also relatively easy once you get the level correct.  Not a daily routine.
Chlorine is cheaper, but seems to take a bit more daily routine.  I know lots of people perfectly happy using dichlor.  My newest spa aquaintance went from Baqua, to Brilliance, to dichlor.  He likes the chlorine routine best so far.
Stay away from Baquaspa.  

My $0.02.

Brewman
Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 04:11:54 pm »
As the almost always nuetral moderator ;) I've frequently advised, go with what the dealer starts you with until you have a reason to change.  I've observed lot of people who found one worked better for them than the other and about an equal number on each side of that fence.  That said, some of these really sneaky dastardly dealers will throw a wrench in my plan by offering you a choice ahead of time.  

Damm those dealers and their bag of tricks!
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 04:19:46 pm »
As the almost always nuetral moderator ;) I've frequently advised, go with what the dealer starts you with until you have a reason to change.  I've observed lot of people who found one worked better for them than the other and about an equal number on each side of that fence.  That said, some of these really sneaky dastardly dealers will throw a wrench in my plan by offering you a choice ahead of time.  

Damm those dealers and their bag of tricks!

LOL mccall damn them to heck right? the decision is really one of a personal nature really, I always thought it was clorine or nothing but, I guess not.

msgreek

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 06:26:23 pm »
So from what I am understanding so far, Baqua, Brilliance or dichlor are alternatives to chlorine ? All three fall within the Bromide catagory?
Since this is my first spa I'm feeling in need to learn everything possible.  

hymbaw

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 06:55:10 pm »
Dichlor IS chlorine.......Baqua is biguinide.......Brilliance is a brand name I'm not familiar with so I can't help there. I can confidently tell that the first two are absolutely NOT bromine.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 08:28:01 pm »
Dichlor = chlorine (for spas)
Brilliance = Bromine (my understanding)
Baqua Spa = neither of the above, biguanide

I use Dichlor and have since day one.  Never really had any issues, so I am sticking with it!  That is just me!

Just remember, relax and enjoy!  That is what you are getting the spa for, right?  Whatever chemical regimine you go with, be patient, take it slow, don't over think it!

You will be just fine!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 08:40:50 pm »
We got our Optima last July and went against the dealer's advice and chose to use dichlor.  We had done extensive research and the dealer wasnt answering our questions correctly half the time, so we trusted ourselves.  It was a great decision for us.  The only water issue we've had in a year now is when the tub was new we would get slight clouding in the water after 30days or so.  That hasnt happened in months now, no idea why.  Our water routine with dichlor really could not be any simpler, in fact at least once a week I am amazed at how easy it is to own a spa.  

We keep our chems to a minimum, the Leisure Time people have some routine that has owners adding one of three chems every other day, that is probably why our water was cloudy.  We stopped doing that and have clear, beautiful water since.  

When we drain the spa (somewhere between 70-100 days, depends on usage) we always use 1/2bottle of Swirl Away before letting the old water out.  I know it may be overkill doing it every drain, but I figure its good insurance that nothing will have a chance to start growing.  We drain that out after a few hours, wipe the tub down, wax it every other drain.  We fill her up, add Metal Gone 1/2way thru fill, then add Spa Defender after a few hours, then  usually add some Alk up too which one dose will correct my tap water's pH and Alk.  We always shock the new water (after getting in of course, who can resist a hot tub of NEW water?)   We add 1tsp dichlor for each user in the tub daily, and we shock with dichlor every Sunday evening...for us, just shy of 3TBL is the right amount.  I add Spa Defender every other week, and once in great while a splash of clarifier.  I have to add 1.5TBL pH up each week a few days after shocking.  Thats all folks...a few chems here and there and water stays great.   So, to make a short story even longer, we love our dichlor and cant praise it enuf.  

PS--someone here commented about a chlorine odor with dichlor, I think if you use too much or add it before your tub time maybe, but we add dichlor at night when done with spa, and by next morning I dont notice any heavy chlorine smell.  Water just smells crisp and clean.  Never have had a scum line yet or any skin problems.  Love my dichlor!

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 09:13:46 pm »
Granular bromine...not tablet.  Big difference between the two.  Di-Chlor works well too.  You can regenerate bromine by shocking.

msgreek

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2005, 11:20:42 pm »
Wow...thanks so much to everyone for all the information.  I'll be keeping all the posts for future references.  It all seems pretty straight forth but since this is my first spa I'm feeling a little intimidated.  At the same time my spa is being delivered my in-ground pool is being converted over to salt water.  Talk about learning two different processes at the same time  ???

tootall

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2005, 12:29:03 am »
I thought that the baqua spa voided the warrenty of sundance and jacuzzie? at least that is what my brother who owns a jacuzzie told me not to get when I get mine.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2005, 09:00:50 am »
Granular bromine...not tablet.  Big difference between the two.  Di-Chlor works well too.  You can regenerate bromine by shocking.

Funny thing is, most powdered bromines are 60-85% dichlor with the remainder being sodium bromide and fillers.

Brilliance from what I understand is an exception althoughI have not seen this product in person. There website does not explain what is in it. I would love it if some one could list the ingredients of Brilliance as they appear on the front (or back) of the label.

Other than that, there is really no escaping chlorine. Bromine tablets and powder are made using some for of stabilized chlorine.

Users of Nature II still need some dichlor.
Homeworks Financing Representative

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2005, 09:35:39 am »
Wow...thanks so much to everyone for all the information.  I'll be keeping all the posts for future references.  It all seems pretty straight forth but since this is my first spa I'm feeling a little intimidated.  At the same time my spa is being delivered my in-ground pool is being converted over to salt water.  Talk about learning two different processes at the same time  ???

My brother’s pool is salt water. It's great it!!!

It's not like the ocean its more like a softener. When I get a pool salt water is the way I'm going.

hymbaw

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2005, 11:09:07 am »
Salt water in your pool? I think what you're looking at is a chlorine generator - chlorine is generated by the electrolysis of salts.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2005, 11:09:07 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42