What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ok you guys....  (Read 10571 times)

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
Ok you guys....
« on: June 30, 2005, 03:52:19 pm »
As you all know I use my hot tub somewhere between 6 and 7 times a day. My dealer told me today that since I use it so much and am not being able to keep up with the bromine that I should open up the feeder to 6-7 holes and throw the bromine granules in after every use 1/2 tspn. I also need to go up and get some enzyme tablets for the gunk rising to latch onto the sides of my tub (grease, persperation and body oils are causing this)and to grab some more prefilters because my one isn't keeping up very well. So....you all now know if you use it as much as I do then you have to prepare for a little adjustment to your chemical routine!

anyway, that's it for now!

Backpains

Hot Tub Forum

Ok you guys....
« on: June 30, 2005, 03:52:19 pm »

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
Re: Ok you guys....
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 04:01:51 pm »
Good to know... what does that add up to in total time?  20 mins a shot?  So it's 2 1/2 hours?  Or longer?  (Sounds like a plan... :)  )
--
Lee

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 04:06:31 pm »
I had bad reactions to Bromine with my old tub.  And I was "only" using it several times a week,  not  per day. I am very, very interested in hearing how this works out for you over the next several weeks.

Isn't Dichlor considered less harsh? Wouldn't that (with a 24 7  ozone and perhaps a silver ion thingy: less caustic chems) be a better set up for you?
07 Caldera Geneva

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 04:14:18 pm »
Yeah, what he said.... in our old spa, we used Br, also, and we expect to use the new one more.  We didn't have any bad reactions to it, but you never know, and I'm not feeling like I want to change chems in midstream (as it were).  So, I'd like to start with the 'least reactive' regimen, even if it perhaps takes a little more work to maintain it.

So, Backpains and anyone else that is 'overexposed' (that possible?) to spa water, let us know how it goes!
--
Lee

Backpains

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 04:16:05 pm »
This is why I think next year we will pay to get the ozonator or what Coleman calls a Cleanzone water management system installed. Total time that I'm in the tub a day 120- 140 min (20- 30 minutes at a time, hubby and I sit in it 3 times a day together 30 minutes at a time the jets automatically shut off at 30 min then we know it's time to get out)

So far Drew, it hasn't affected my skin at all in fact, my dry skin has been not as bad as it normally is. so we will watch that part of it. My dealer told me it's not a bad thing taht you spend that much time in the tub, it's just you spend more time in than most people and we have to adjust to acommidate this

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 04:19:00 pm »
We did have the ozonator in our last spa, and didn't feel water maintenance was a chore, probably just because of that fact.  I definitely think it's a help to keep things fresh.

Now, what actual chem family to use is the next question...  :)

Glad to hear there haven't been any ill effects so far!
--
Lee

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 04:22:35 pm »
This is why I think next year we will pay to get the ozonator or what Coleman calls a Cleanzone water management system installed. Total time that I'm in the tub a day 120- 140 min (20- 30 minutes at a time, hubby and I sit in it 3 times a day together 30 minutes at a time the jets automatically shut off at 30 min then we know it's time to get out)

So far Drew, it hasn't affected my skin at all in fact, my dry skin has been not as bad as it normally is. so we will watch that part of it. My dealer told me it's not a bad thing taht you spend that much time in the tub, it's just you spend more time in than most people and we have to adjust to acommidate this

I guess maybe different people react to different chems. I'm just courious.    :D  Because I want to learn from your experince.  

Time will bear out what is the best system for you.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 04:23:20 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 04:33:18 pm »
My opinion has always been, Bromine=yuck, dichlor=better (but others may disagree).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 04:38:24 pm »
That's exactly the sort of thing I want to know before I start the next new spa on its chemical way.

I think I read here recently the whole point of Br over Cl.  Was it that Br is a bit more stable needing less care or something, so for the average lazy American, it'll keep water more usable?

I don't care if Cl's harder, if it works better.  :)
--
Lee

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 04:41:43 pm »
Backpains;

If you are the primary user, the "gunk" may show up less and less.

It depends what the source is.

If you are moisterizing or applying products to your skin or hair between soaks it may not.

If the "gunk" is your skin purging impurities (this will happen when you use a tub) you will experience the problem less and less.

Homeworks Financing Representative

hymbaw

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 06:42:05 pm »
One thing to keep in mind when comparing sanitizers---

ph tends to rise in a spa, at the ph of 7.8 (which isn't too out of whack) chlorine is at about 20% effectivness while bromine is at approx. 80% effectivness.

People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 06:44:27 pm »
One thing to keep in mind when comparing sanitizers---

ph tends to rise in a spa, at the ph of 7.8 (which isn't too out of whack) chlorine is at about 20% effectivness while bromine is at approx. 80% effectivness.

While this is true, Chlorine is less likely to raise your pH than Bromine. So its a good thing it is still 80% effective since you are much more likely to have high pH.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Backpains

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 06:57:56 pm »
Ok, I never expected this to become a discussion about br vs cl (don't really care who wins that one) I think between the two it's a personal preference as to which on you like best. To me bromine made more sense cause I cannot stand the smell of clorine that's probably the reason I never go to the pool.  Both hubby and I use the hot tub, but, I'm the primary user as it does help a bit on my back so, even if I have to clean the darned thing 40 times a day around the edges, then I am willing to do this in order to keep allowing my back to get the benifits of the hot tub. If I sound upset I'm not, just I realize that people have different opinions about both products. I'll go up to Billings probably next week and get some filters, enzymes and more bromine granules.

What I don't understand is my skin is softer now than what it ever has been....go figure something to leave me wondering  ;D

Have a great night and happy tubbing.....ooo....and Happy 4th you all!!!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 08:25:33 pm »
Backpains,

If you smell chlorine in a pool or spa then there's not enough chlorine or it recently has been shocked (10+ PPM)!

The smell associated with chlorine is actually chloramine which is the used up chlorine and does nothing for sanitation purposes. I have had a pool now for 4 years and I have only have had the smell twice. Keeping up with the water chemistry is important.

I agree that it's really a personal decision and there are people who use and swear by bromine. There are
people who swear by Baquacil also - it's an alternative to both chlorine and bromine, although most people don't say good things about Baquacil

If you go to docs site - rhtubs - and look under the FAQ in his forum, there are excellent pieces by Vermonter and Northman about water care with chlorine - take a look. It may not apply to you as your using the tub more frequently than the "average" person.

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2005, 08:12:42 am »
Backpains,

I agree its personal preference but I used Dichlor from the start. I have not smelled chlorine or had any discomfort yet. My water crystal clear and no foam.

The only problem I have had on two different occasions was a yellowish scum line around the water line. My PH was high and after adjusting that it went away. Well I scrubbed it first but it never reappeared. The book said a High PH could cause staining.

Also I HIGHLY recommend the Taylor testing kit in place of test strips.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2005, 08:12:42 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42