What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Home Depot, Image spas  (Read 11266 times)

lobo

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Home Depot, Image spas
« on: June 28, 2005, 05:16:53 pm »
I think I know the answer, but I'm new.  Image spas are new at HD.  Has anyone heard any pros or cons about this tub.  Like most folks I dont have the bucks for the best but hate wasting on money on somthing that will not last long.  Any help or advise would be great.

LoBo

Hot Tub Forum

Home Depot, Image spas
« on: June 28, 2005, 05:16:53 pm »

Mark_Vee

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Home Depot, Image spas
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 05:24:57 pm »
I would highly recommend purchasing from a local dealer.  Most dealers will have models available in the price range that you are looking for.  Purchasing from a local dealer allows for much better support after you have the hot tub and also allows you to wet test different models.

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 05:26:09 pm »
I'm new too lobo but I've done a little research so I'll chime in here.  

I found that all of the major spa manufacturers carry what I guess could be called an "economy line".  Look for a manufacturer that will stand behind their product and a dealer that you can trust to answer questions and repair it.  
Please don't shop based on price alone.    

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 05:28:08 pm »
My two cents based on a little Googling... Image appears to be a HD partner, and also appears to be part of Icon, which makes NordicTrack and other exercise equipment that gets not so great ratings sometimes....

Also, a general matter, I conclude from what I've seen here is that buying a spa from a box store (HD, etc.) is that you are setting yourself up for problems after-sale since service will be by some third party since there is no 'dealer' that you have a relationship with.

Based on the semi-endless problems that can arise, I (personally) wouldn't purchase a spa from a non-spa-dealer store.

Other comments?
--
Lee

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 05:30:39 pm »
I would far sooner take a 4-5 year old Hot Spring than a big box store tub.

Don't let a used tub fool you...they can be a great value.

also, as vlady said, look for the economy line for some of the bigger manufacturers like Hot Springs, Sundance, Marquis, Jacuzzi, Caldera, Dimension One, etc...

They all have tubs comparable in price to HD tubs, and you'd have dealer support.

Mark

mjb

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 07:42:19 pm »
We carried this brand years ago.
Poor quality product, poor manufacturer support.
Stay Away from them.

lobo

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 08:40:15 am »
WOW, thanks for the response and great information.  I will check out a local dealer..

LoBo

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 12:12:00 pm »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 12:36:12 pm »
I think I know the answer, but I'm new.  Image spas are new at HD.  Has anyone heard any pros or cons about this tub.  Like most folks I dont have the bucks for the best but hate wasting on money on somthing that will not last long.  Any help or advise would be great.

LoBo

LoBo,

I have yet to read any feedback, positive or negative, from an Image spa owner on this forum as most of its members subscribe to the dealer Model of spa ownership. I think there is nothing wrong with choosing to buy from a "bigbox" store like Home Depot. Choosing to do so can mean a different kind of ownership experience when something goes wrong.  

A big reason those spas are generally a lot less expensive is because of a limited mark-up and limited warranty. Therefore you get no dealer to "help" you in times of need and there is a risk of paying more out-of-pocket for service that could otherwise be covered under a "premium brand dealer" store warranty, provided you bought from a "good" dealer and provided the problem is really covered and arises within the granted warranty period paid for.

A big difference, that can be seen as a negative, is that you can not wet test a bigbox store tub. As pretty much every aficionado on this forum, and others, will tell you, wet testing is most important and should be a deciding factor in choosing a tub. Then again, some don't care to wet test.

Everybody who sells or buys a "premium brand dealer tub" loves their tubs with good reason, but that should not deter you from other options that may work for you. Either route you choose, you need to know what you are choosing and paying for before making a choice.  

Good Luck!
e

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 05:22:29 pm »
I'll share an experience many Home Depot spa customers experienced here in Canada last summer. These spas would have been 2 years old. I forget the brand (depot has changed the brand they carry up here a couple of times).

A customer would come in looking for a jet. These were Waterway 5" threaded jets. Jets no other spa manufacturer had used in 5 or more years (none that I am aware of).

Water no longer made the jet in question. The solution? Install a new jet body in a fully foamed spa.........

Homeworks Financing Representative

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 07:45:16 pm »
There is at least one review of Image spas in our reviews section.

I've got 7................... 6 for, 1 against
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 07:53:05 pm »
Does the old addage "you get what you pay for" apply to the Image spa? I think it does.The Image customer is not typically a H.S,SD or CalSpa customer in my experience they have been a totally different market buying these cheaper tubs.
-SpaMan~

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 10:38:45 pm »
I have had people come into our stores, see what we have and make statements like:
"no, a warranty isn't that big a deal to me, I can fix things myself.
Jets? No, I just like to soak.
Filtration? We just changed the water every three weeks in our last tub and it was fine.
Lights? Look at my wife over there. Do you think I'd want to see that in a bathing suit? No light please.
Non-wood Siding? Gonna deck around the thing.
ET what? I'll run a big ground wire.
Digital controls? I like surprises.
Delivery? Just threw the last one on the trailer and took it home myself.
Long lasting? Well my last one went three years, and I figure that's about good enough, don't you?"

I usually just offer to drive them to Lowes.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

RTex

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 12:04:49 am »
What are these tubs selling for?I would bet one could finda better tub for less at a hot tub dealer in the economy line that most manufacturers of quality tubs make. If you can get more (delivery, set-up, quality, service, warranty, reliability,etc.) for the same amount of cash, why go "big box?"  Call and ask the hot tub stores what they can offer at a similar price.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2005, 07:58:04 am »
Also look at it as a long term thing, At my home depot, the models change constantly and they carry spa chemicals as a "seasonal" item.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2005, 07:58:04 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42