What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Scumie lines  (Read 2794 times)

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
Scumie lines
« on: June 29, 2005, 04:23:28 pm »
Ok, here's the problem I'm getting a scum line but only in one area, right at the foot section of the Lounger. Noticed it Wed night, cleaned the whole entire tub line and I noticed this am that it was back!  My question is....what can I do if anything to be rid of it or am I just going to have to put up with cleaning it every day?

Hot Tub Forum

Scumie lines
« on: June 29, 2005, 04:23:28 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Scumie lines
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 04:52:07 pm »
I have a light color tub and had the brown line across the tub (happened after the first night), read a thread about Spa Perfect (enzymes) with Chas and Stuart saying positive things about it.

I went out and bought a liter bottle and after the first application, the ring disappeared.  It even seemed to help with the foaming somewhat. I just put the second application in this morning.

I found a seller on ebay who was selling a 3 liter bottle for less than what I payed for the 1 liter, so I picked up 2. I figured if it did that with one application, it should be a weekly addition to keep the ring and foam down.

Might be worth a try!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 05:43:55 pm »
I've used LeisureTime Scum Gon (now called Spa Enzyme) in the past with good results.  I plan to use it again on a regular basis as my spa is getting heavy use this summer.  

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 06:31:46 pm »
I would be very careful buying Enzymes from a discount house! There is a shelf life to that stuff and it can be effected by temp.

I've seen it sour and cause a ton of problems....

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 07:49:12 pm »
Thanks Stuart!

I thought about that and I know it can go moldy (is that a word?). I wasn't sure about a shelf life though!

I figured I'll take a chance. Doc doesn't carry the stuff and I figured it was $40 total for 2 - 3 liters bottles. I'm not an avid ebayer but saw it and said I'll try it. If it's moldy, well I lost $40 but if I get some use out of it - great!

I guess I'll stick to retail!!

Haynes

• 2005 Down East Cape Cod/ Monongahela, PA
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 08:35:59 pm »
I too had the brown scum lines from time to time with the initial tub fill up.  It would go away with one or another treatment and then return.  Totally went away after dumping the water after 6 weeks of hard use and now no brown scum lines at all.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 10:04:56 pm »
OOPs, I thought this was a thread with quotes from Conjuna....
Homeworks Financing Representative

Bigbender

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 12:28:20 am »
You need to quit walking around in the mud Backpains! Just kidding:)

I'd say that everyone has had trouble with scum lines at one time or another. It comes from your body oils being released into the water and I've noticed that the warmer weather makes it worse. I think Chas said that new owners will release more body oils in the first few weeks of ownership and a water change the first month is a wise decision. We had a bunch of people using our tub lately and our water got extremely oily. I just changed my water tonite and it was only two months old.

Hint: If you use a clarifier, it will coagulate the "grease" and bring it to the top. If you have foam too, physically get as much as possible out of the tub because the oil will be clinging to it. Don't use a de-foamer - it will send all that junk back down into the water. What sticks to the sides can be wiped clean, the rest will be picked up by your Coleman's pre-filter. I change and clean that filter two or three times as often as the main filter. It helps to have at least one spare filter (both kinds) so you can keep one clean and swap them out quickly.

I hope that helps...
Mike

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 12:28:20 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42