What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Dirty Ozonator on HS Spa???  (Read 2884 times)

Neohcouple

Dirty Ozonator on HS Spa???
« on: June 26, 2005, 08:58:31 pm »
Greetings:

I am the recent owner of a 2005 Hot Springs Vanguard Spa.  I have had it for about 1 month now (I will be posting a review shortly now that I have been able to enjoy it for a little while).  

Anyways, I have been following the protocol for shocking the tub every week, adding chloring every 1-2 days, etc, etc.  Everything appears to be in balance such as PH, ALK, chlorine, etc.  

However, I am noticing that on the HS Freshwater Ozonator (where the bubbles come up on the spa floor), it appears to be turning a slight brownish color.  Is this normal?  Can I clean this (if so, how)??  Since it is located on the spa floor & is always submerged in water, what is the best way to do handle this?  Hope this makes sense.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.  

Hot Tub Forum

Dirty Ozonator on HS Spa???
« on: June 26, 2005, 08:58:31 pm »

ArcherC

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Dirty Ozonator on HS Spa???
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 02:32:08 pm »
To answer your last question first, no this is not normal.
Ozone, like any oxidizer can sometimes oxidize metals out of solution and can cause staining. I would have your water checked soon by someone who can test for metals. One way to see if it is a metal is to take the grate off of the floor drain, since this is what I assume is changing color, and wash it with a very light acid solution or viniger. If the stain comes right off, then you probably have Iron or some other metal in the water. I would recommend using a product called MetalGon, and then maintain weekly with a stain and scale control. Hope this helps. Let us know what happens.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 03:14:33 pm »
Yup, perfectly normal. It's the iron in the water being oxidized. That's what ozone does.

Try "stain and scale care" from the Freshwater line - available at your HS dealer.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

ArcherC

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 03:32:05 pm »
Well, I guess in view of Chas' statement, it could be normal but should not be if water is properly maintained with a stain and scale agent.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 04:11:41 pm »
Well, I guess in view of Chas' statement, it could be normal but should not be if water is properly maintained with a stain and scale agent.

I would agree. I see it in most all tubs with the FW III ozone system - less if they have been treated for metal, more if they have not been.

You can clean it off when you do a water change.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Neohcouple

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 07:56:00 pm »
Hi Chas:

Thanks for the info.  At least I know the ozonator is working properly.  Right now, I am adding about 1 ounce of "scale & stain" every week when I shock it.  Maybe I should be adding more???

Also, is it possible to clean the ozonator grate before changing the water at my recommended 3 month interval??  The water looks absolutely beautiful, but ozonator grate cover doesn't look so pretty.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 07:56:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42