What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Clear Roof Panels  (Read 10241 times)

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
Clear Roof Panels
« on: June 18, 2005, 10:52:31 pm »
I'm looking for ideas.
I'm building a screened-in porch that will house my new Marquis Reward. For the roof, I would like to find a durable, clear product to use to star gaze at night in the tub. I don't have much of a backyard so the only choice is to look up!
I don't want a skylight; too small and too expensive. I am on a budget. If I could find some heavy duty, clear roofing panels that won't leak, that'll be great.
I've been to the suntuf and tuftex web sites and checked out their polycarbonate products but it look flimsy. I live in the Northeast and I'll need something that will be able to handle a few feet of snow, too.

Anyone have any experience with suntuf or tuftex products or have used other kinds of clear roofing?

Thanks,

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Hot Tub Forum

Clear Roof Panels
« on: June 18, 2005, 10:52:31 pm »

Mike134

Re: Clear Roof Panels
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 10:46:44 am »
I'd use tempered glass panels   The plastic will yellow from the sun

You'll need the advise of an engineer since you have a snow load.

NDfar

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 11:45:50 am »
I found some at a home improment center in the steel building display.  They came with a 10 year warranty and came in different lenghts.   :)

autoplay

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 11:52:14 am »
I'd advise against it.  It will collect dust/dirt etc....and will only obstruct your view.

How bout the entire thing screened in,roof,sides,and all?

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 06:31:54 pm »

ArcherC

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 12:19:38 pm »
I would go with Stuart on this one. We have sold the Clarity Domes to quite a few customers and they are very happy with them. They are built to handle the snow load and are supposed to be able to handle quite an impact.

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 12:16:32 am »

Stuart & ArcherC: This would be perfect! I contacted agidomes and had them give me a quote but it's way out of my price range.
Tempered glass is expensive, too.
I was hoping to find some lower cost means but, then again, I may not be realistic about the price.
I may yet go with the suntuf or tuftex, since the price is lower.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Phil

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 11:18:59 pm »
Well, we made a decision. We were going with a simple flat, pitched roof attached to the wall of the house itself.

Instead, we will have a roof with a peak. One side of the roof will have steel roofing. The side over the spa will use the suntuf clear polycarbonate roof panels. That way, the entire roof over the spa will be perfectly clear. Pray for lots of clear skies!!!

Phil

dalop

• If its not the Boat Its the Tub!
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2005, 09:38:04 am »
One other thing I would keep in mind is ventilation. Will there be enough so that the glass don't steam up. Then you will not be able to see the stars. :-/

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 10:16:43 pm »
One other thing I would keep in mind is ventilation. Will there be enough so that the glass don't steam up. Then you will not be able to see the stars. :-/

Good point dalop but I don't think it will be a problem. This is not going to be an insulated, four season porch - it'll be screened in.

Phil

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 10:16:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42