What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How do you dealers lift the tubs?  (Read 8278 times)

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
How do you dealers lift the tubs?
« on: June 23, 2005, 10:10:03 pm »
My new HS Vanguard needed to be shimmed 1/2 inch or so when delivered to level it out.

The shims were placed in the wrong spots (on the corners). The manual clearly shows where to shim the tub and the corners was not an option.

The shims started to dig into the cabinet due to the weight of the tub so I drained it and called for service.

The delivery "kids" treated my tub pretty rough. They tossed it around and even scratched my shell on the back side on the cement. The tub was factory wrapped and all corners were foamed but this still did not stop them from scratching it.

Now they were very nice but it was very hard for them to pick up the tub while someone stuck a shim under it.

It was dangerous that two young guys lifted it while another stuck their arm under it I was very nervous. They barley could lift it.

I would love to take my time and do it myself but how does one lift a tub high enough to see under it and lower it slowly enough to place it back on the shims?

Any tricks of the trade?

My new tub sits empty till Saturday when they can come back out.

Hot Tub Forum

How do you dealers lift the tubs?
« on: June 23, 2005, 10:10:03 pm »

TALKCalgary.com

Re: How do you dealers lift the tubs?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 10:30:42 pm »
Interesting questions you raise. The delivery guys also had problems lifting our tub - although they did have a dolly truck. As for shims, my tub has about a half inch slope. I decided not to shim since I figured that the weight would force the shims into the wooden frame. Also, since the base of our tub (Beachcomber 750)  is not sealed, I did not want to expose the form insulation.  

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 09:01:38 am »
Why the need to shim it 1/2"?  Is the concrete not level and there's a low spot?  If it's just a gradual drainage slop then 1/2" is nothing.  Our's drops a good inch from one side to the other and we didn't need to shim it.  As long as you've got the filters on the low side and there's no risk of the water level getting too low at the filter then you should be ok.  
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 09:42:30 am »
It sounds like your dealer may have sent his B team. Call and talk to the owner, ask for the A team, or ask the owner or manager to come out and supervise this time. If your tub is suspended by just the corners, filled and left for a while, you can have a problem that will end up in a finger-pointing battle.

If you shim the spa and get most, but not all of the spots, you'll be fine. I have seen HotSpring tubs go years and years with the corners and three, four or five spots in the center supported with no damage, but there is absolutely no reason to test this!

There is another possibility: if the delivery team saw that the center of the tub is in contact with the slab but the slab falls away at the corners, then they did ok. You mention a half-inch slope. That's not bad if the tub is well supported, but if that's to much for you, then have them come out and level.  And again, if the tub is held up by just the corners with air in the middle, don't fill till you get it right.

If you want to do it yourself, allow several hours for a 'first timer.' There are about 16 spots which need to be supported on the bottom of a Vanguard. Look at the "Pre-Delivery Instructions" which your dealer should have given you. If not, go to Hotspring.com and download a copy.

I use a special 'Spa Jack' from the same people who make the 'Spa Dolly' and it works like a charm.

If your dealer doesn't have one, you can simply lift the spa from the corners with a 2x4 and a some blocks. One block goes on top of the 2x so you don't lift from the siding. This block can be an inch thick or so - if I have to do this I use a 3/4" thick stake, and if I can, I nail or screw it to the end of the 2x so it stays in place. Look at how the spa jack, pictured above, lifts the tub without hittinig the siding to understand this extra little block.

Then of course you need another block for the fulcrum, and that can be of various thicknesses according to what you need. I only lift the tub about two inches at a time, then put in a block to hold the tub. Then I move the lever over to the black part of the bottom and lift again until I have the tub as high as I need.

I usually start by putting the level down on the slab to get an idea where the high and low sides are. If you have a nice even slope in one direction, it is best to try to end up with one side of the spa in contact with the slab.

Raise the low side, and put in a temporary block to just hold it. You should try to end up with the spa sitting level on two or three blocks. The delivery crew may have done that for you already and just not gone on to the next step: shimming the spa.

Once the spa it level, you need to slide in blocks to fill the gap between the leveling spots and the ground. You can use redwood blocks cut to the size you need, but plastic or pressure-treated wood is better. If you are very lucky, you may end up with a nice even gap. What I mean is a gap that is the same thickness from one side of the tub to the other. In that case you can measure the gap and create a single long shim that simply slides into place from one side of the spa to the other. But most likely you'll need blocks or stack of shims to support the spa. Sometimes you can put them in a row in the right places, and lower the spa onto them in one move. Saves lots of time, but rarely happens.

I use plastic shims - Called "EZ Shims:

and some cedar blocks. If one shim isn't thick enough to close the gap simply stack them. If you have the time and patience, put two stacks side-by-side at each point for extra support.

If you have a gpa in one or more places that is really thick, and it doesn't sound like you do, you can add blocks. I buy cedar stakes and cut them up into blocks. Cedar is good, but if you can put the shim under the block to keep it off the slab it's better.

Closer to the slab is better. Don't end up with your spa sitting on top of four-inch stacks of blocks unless there is some special reason.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 11:34:30 am »
chas, nice book!!   :D 'spa jack/dolly' comes in handy. (wish i had 1 for that 1st spa i moved!!)  
Marquis dealer

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 03:19:22 pm »
Chase,

The spa was not supported in the middle. I'm sure there was a gap. The slab pitches evenly in one direction.

The delivery crew was not even their C team when it came to the delivery or shimming the tub. They damaged the tub and shimmed it wrong.

I will place a call to let them know my expectations.

I saw the damage to the black kick panel from the weight of the tub on the shims so I drained it. I did not even think about the structure as a whole being compromised.

The spa jack is nice I hope they have something to assist them with the lifting.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the detailed post! Much appreciated ;D

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 03:36:40 pm by drober30 »

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 03:35:36 pm »
Why the need to shim it 1/2"?  Is the concrete not level and there's a low spot?  If it's just a gradual drainage slop then 1/2" is nothing.  Our's drops a good inch from one side to the other and we didn't need to shim it.  As long as you've got the filters on the low side and there's no risk of the water level getting too low at the filter then you should be ok.  

It is a gradual pitch. May be a tad bit more than 1/2 inch but I would like my tub to appear level. Especially the water line.

I just placed a call to the service department and told the girl that answers the phone what was expected tomorrow so they come out with the right equipment/manpower.

She said she would get with the manager to let him know.

If they don’t get it right tomorrow I will do it myself.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 04:57:25 pm »

It is a gradual pitch. May be a tad bit more than 1/2 inch but I would like my tub to appear level. Especially the water line.

I just placed a call to the service department and told the girl that answers the phone what was expected tomorrow so they come out with the right equipment/manpower.

She said she would get with the manager to let him know.

If they don’t get it right tomorrow I will do it myself.

Ours drops over an inch I think but unless I point it out to someone, they'd never notice.  You really can't tell.  The only way I can even notice it the water is closer to the pillows on one side than the other.  If yours is only around 1/2" then I would think it would hardly be notiiceable at all.  I bet it'll be more noticeable that you've shimmed one side on the ground than you'd see the water level difference.  Your call though...
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 12:10:59 am »
Well the same young men came out today to shim the spa. They came only with a handful of shims and no game plan.

I will shorten the story a little and tell you the outcome.

I had them lift the tub so I could get a floor jack under the tub. I jacked it up a little to allow us to place the shims where needed.

I lowered the floor jack then had them slowly lift the tub so I could remove the jack and they slowly lowered the tub down on the shims.

It worked pretty good. It is better than it was and the tub is now supported in multiple locations instead of just the two corners.

The kids were nice and I gave them money for lunch.

They had two new HS tubs on the trailer they were installing today. I was so excited for those people!

I filled the tub and balanced the water like a pro.

The Taylor test kit is a must. After some practice I feel real confident and am getting pretty good a deciphering the color range for PH.

Can’t wait to soak tomorrow after the Dichlor shock calms down. ;)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 12:11:58 am by drober30 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 12:10:59 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42