What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Thoughts on enclosures....Anyone  (Read 4061 times)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
Thoughts on enclosures....Anyone
« on: June 23, 2005, 03:59:42 pm »
Ok, so the cement pad is finished and it looks awsome.  I should have it sealed sometime this week, so I will take some pictures.

My question is, what do you think about a tub sitting out by itself on a slab.  Should I dress it up, I was thinking about going one year through the winter no roof and see how I like it.  If I decide gazebo, I was thinking square with cottage style roof on top of my patio.  Railing all around to close it in a bit.  

For now I have a four tiered patio exposed agrigate with a 14 by 14 patio for my tub.  Stamping all around the tub for classy appeal (wifes decision).  

I will have a two step cedar steps with cedar planters on each side.  Another side will be a bar and stools.  

The opposite side of my bar will face into the backyard. On the step side I will have a beautiful chimo chimney from Mexico just to add that touch, but I still think that I am missing the roof.  

To much or add the gazebo or wait until next year?????

Hot Tub Forum

Thoughts on enclosures....Anyone
« on: June 23, 2005, 03:59:42 pm »

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
Re: Thoughts on enclosures....Anyone
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 04:41:47 pm »
Wait until next year and see how you like what you have first.

On my first install, I also almost added a gazebo. I had "grand" designs as well. Turned out I liked the tub being out in the open so much -- especially at night -- that I didn't need it. Gazebos also take away that feeling of "openness" unless you go BIG.

Good Luck!

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 04:49:22 pm »
My wife and I toyed with the idea of enclosing it in a 3 season room, we ended up not enclosing it.

After all the reading and asking a few people I'm hoping that it's as awsome being outside in the tub as people have said. Of course living in NJ I don't have the winters that you have, but I agree - go through a winter and see how you like it. It sounds like it's already going to be dressed up the way you ordered it!

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 05:39:00 pm »
Ok bosco, now you know I enclosed my lil ole hot tub room for a reason, this gal is a bit shy and I have neighbors that are oooo so close (last thing I need is my neighbors 14 year old son catching a glimpse of me streaking into the house)  ::) and besides looks like the skeeters are back with a vengence this year, we get two days of hot weather and they are "hello right here we are!" (god don't they get the hint that I don't like them and they will die if they stick around) which brings me to another subject, to bad they don't make a skeeter gun oooo now that would be a kick with bullets and everything or even a skeeter crossbow would do the trick too, (I swear I'm not a violent person!) hahahahahah omg!!! I kill me!!!

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 08:48:20 pm »
We originally were going to add a gazebo around our spa but decided against it. We live in the southeast and the weather is generally awesome temperature wise. We thought that a gazebo would look too assuming and leaving the spa in the open was much better. We are finishing our second tier deck and it should be done by the 4th of July weekend. We also like the feel of being out in the open without a roof or any walls around us while enjoying the spa. To each their own but for us in our setup, the gazebo was a no go. Good luck with your planning!

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 10:09:32 pm »
Guess it depends on how bad the bugs are in you area. We put ours indoors, we live on a lake and the skeeters can get pretty bad at night. Plus the privacy issue.

Our outdoor swimming pool is nice during the day, but at night the pool light will attract all sorts of flying vermin. We could turn the light off, but that's creepy, On occasion, I've fished out snakes and snapping turtles out of the pool...

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 07:51:30 am »
thanks for the replys.  I think I will wait for the first winter to pass.  Plus, money has become a factor.  I have been working so much this year to pay everything off and my wife is starting to give me the 'your never home'

First they want the extra money and then they give you the guilt for not being home.   I love my beautiful wife as I always say, but as backpains put in one of her posts, if only the made skeeter guns or crossbows.  I wonder if that comes in wife brand??? just kidding, no seriously though I wonder???  No again just kidding......

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 09:11:51 am »
Sounds like you have a very nice set up.  I'd definatly wait a year. Use the tub all year and take it all in, each season and notice things like views, privacy how the tub "fits" in the yard. Think about other things you may be thinking on adding, perhaps a pool, or another deck, or awings, etc.   sit back a few nights, have a beer or two and daydream about the different possibilities and next year you will be able to have a much better idea of what you want and what might work.
07 Caldera Geneva

nicker

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 09:49:40 am »
I too debated on if I wanted a gazeboo over my tub.  I have had it a year now and I wouldn't want anything over the tub. I LOVE the open feel.  To me that is what a tub is all about being out side in the elements.  This is just my opinion.  Granted when its raining its not the greatest but thats the only down side to me.  I have my tub on a our two tiered deck with enclosed railing around it for privacy and helps with the wind.    I would recommend trying it for a while and then decide if you still want an enclosure.

happy tubbing

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 10:13:29 am »
I went to Lowes and bought some 6 ft privacy fence with a foot of lattice on the top...They were in 8' sections and cost around $80 each. I put cedar 6x6 up to hold them up and put them on 2 sides. the whole project cost less than $300

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 10:29:42 am »

Our outdoor swimming pool is nice during the day, but at night the pool light will attract all sorts of flying vermin. We could turn the light off, but that's creepy

By all means GET OUT of the pool and/or hot tub if you start to hear that creepy music:  Dah-dun, dah-dun. dah-dun. dah-dun....

;)
07 Caldera Geneva

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 12:46:11 pm »
Them snappers scare me the most...reminds me of gators, especial when they're "upset"!

dalop

• If its not the Boat Its the Tub!
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 01:38:43 pm »
We have ours outside. Thought about closing it in at first, but now after a year I would not have it any other way. I love the tub out under the stars or in a light snow fall. Its awsome. I just put up a small fence like Stuart did. I also light up a couple of candles for the bugs to stay away and grab my drink and enjoy. ;D

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 05:36:41 pm »
I agree with Nicker. Outside tubbing cannot be beat in my opinion. Our 1st spa came with the house we bought and was enclosed in a sunroom. It was nice but outside is amazing!! Our's like Nicker's is on a second tier deck and looks great!! It is so nice to have the openess and full view around you rather than a wall or roof being nearby. It is really only something you can decide whether is right or not. I agree with what many others have said. Take sometime to enjoy it all and don't rush to any decisions. You will know what is best for you. Good luck  ;D

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 09:51:45 pm »
Well I'm with backpains. My tub is outside and my yard does not provide for great privacy so a gazebo will be great for that.

More important I don’t want to be out in the elements.

When shopping for spas some of the dealers had tubs running inside a fully enclosed gazebo and it was cool to go inside during the day and close the windows and be in a darker environment and see the lighting of the tub. If I wanted it light I could open the windows.

During the day I will go inside the gazebo with relaxing music and the windows closed and be in a dark tranquil setting. Like when you go for a message.

I also think I will like to go inside when it's raining or snowing with high cold winds and be sheltered from the elements.

Soaking in my hot tub while gazing outside at the harsh elements and protected from the rain and wind gives me the warm and fuzzy feeling.

However, I do agree that a large gazebo makes it better. I ordered a 12x16 which will give me around 7 feet in front of the tub for some furniture. This will be a nice setting. I loved the way it felt in the showrooms. I could walk in the gazebo and forget I was even in a showroom.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 09:51:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42