What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ok gang quick question  (Read 2795 times)

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
Ok gang quick question
« on: June 23, 2005, 11:58:18 pm »
How tall are the NORMAL steps for a hot tub...hubby made some they are 22 inches high hot tub room is 7 feet in highth and coleman is 35" am I going to hit my head trying to get in?

Hot Tub Forum

Ok gang quick question
« on: June 23, 2005, 11:58:18 pm »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: Ok gang quick question
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 12:50:48 am »
Not as long as you don't wear heels.... ;)

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 06:42:20 am »
I'm not sure how big your coleman is going to be width wise but you also are going to have to make sure there's enough room to flip the cover over to get it off as well.  If you're spa is around 3 feet high and it's 8 feet square then the cover addes a few inches and you'll need 4 feet more to flip the cover over (half the 8 foot width).  If your spa is 7 feet wide then you'll need 3.5 feet extra hight to flip the cover over.  In any case, it might be tight...

Reason I bring it up is because I have a friend with a spa under his deck and it's pretty low. When he flips his cover over it actually rubs the underside of the deck so he 'just' has enough room to get his cover off.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 06:43:59 am by bulmer4nc »
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Backpains

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 08:03:39 am »
I'm not sure how big your coleman is going to be width wise but you also are going to have to make sure there's enough room to flip the cover over to get it off as well.  If you're spa is around 3 feet high and it's 8 feet square then the cover addes a few inches and you'll need 4 feet more to flip the cover over (half the 8 foot width).  If your spa is 7 feet wide then you'll need 3.5 feet extra hight to flip the cover over.  In any case, it might be tight...

Reason I bring it up is because I have a friend with a spa under his deck and it's pretty low. When he flips his cover over it actually rubs the underside of the deck so he 'just' has enough room to get his cover off.

No you don't understand. My steps hubby has built me are 22 inches high and the tub room is 7 feet from floor to rafters the cloeman is 35" in height, what I'm wondering is if I need to have him lower the steps a little. His intensions were well placed, he only wanted to ensure I could easily get into the hot tub with minimal problems.  As far as the cover, it's not even in this senerio because, the way we are taking it off it ges to towards the front of room and the stairs will be to the back of the room with the hot tub somewhere in the middle

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 08:46:11 am »

No you don't understand. My steps hubby has built me are 22 inches high and the tub room is 7 feet from floor to rafters the cloeman is 35" in height, what I'm wondering is if I need to have him lower the steps a little. His intensions were well placed, he only wanted to ensure I could easily get into the hot tub with minimal problems.  As far as the cover, it's not even in this senerio because, the way we are taking it off it ges to towards the front of room and the stairs will be to the back of the room with the hot tub somewhere in the middle

My comment has nothing to do with the stairs.  What I'm saying is that you need to make sure that your room (7 feet from floor to ceiling) is enough room to take the cover off.  You have to flip half the cover over before removing it which means you need half the width of the cover distance from the top of the tub to the ceiling so that it can flip over on top of the other half so you can take it off.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 10:03:20 am by bulmer4nc »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 09:52:09 am »
You're both right.

BP - I wouldn't climb up the stairs in a standing position: simply step up one step and then turn, sit on the edge of the tub and swing in. There is no reason to march up and in: the steps inside most hottubs don't match the steps which folks put on the outside, and unless you have a huge handrail that goes all the way up and then all the way into your spa (like a hotel spa might) then you don't want to get that high up in the air with all of those wet surfaces around you.

I stop people from doing it during wet tests all the time - don't want a slip and fall lawsuit, but I also have never managed to sell anything to anybody with a cast on an appendage...

One other note: try getting into and out of a spa on several sides before you lock it in. We have two models with loungers which are very hard to get into on the 'front.' Once folks discover that there is no law stating you have to enter from the 'front,' it gets real easy. You may be far more comfortable entering on another side - this according to the room around the spa etc.

Again: sit on the edge of your spa and swing in.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 10:29:47 am »
My tub is 36" high and I accidently made the height of the lip of the tub to the decking about 23". It is the correct height for un to sit on the tubs top and slide our legs over into the tub (actually turned out to be a good thing).

As for your question of how high - 7' = 84" 84-22= 62 which is 5'2" this is the max height before bumping your head.  As bulmer4nc said you need to make sure that your cover can be lifted in an arc to be opened fully.

Hope this helps!

Backpains

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 10:53:15 am »
Ok then tell me this, how far does the cover lifter need to clear the top. Ok update never mind that question, hubby says we should be good on height to get cover off and sides for cover lifter to clear the sides without problems thank god...do NOT freak me out like that! loloolol
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 11:02:37 am by Backpains »

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 10:58:16 am »
If the cover is 80" wide and 2" thick then you'd need the 2" plus half the cover so it could fold over.  So from the top of the tub you'd need 42" to be able to open the cover properly.  I don't know how wide or thick your cover is so you'd have to find out and do the same math...

Backpains

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 11:12:17 am »
Got it figured out hubby says don't worry see my above lastest post. I'm thinking he might have to cut down my steps a bit, and he's going to cover them with some carpetting so I don't get any stickers in my feet.

All is well again!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 11:12:17 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42