What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Building over inground  (Read 1617 times)

skullydc

Building over inground
« on: June 22, 2005, 12:52:13 pm »
I have an in ground that works fine, only 5 jets though. While on vacation I used a real spa (HS Sovereign) and was spoiled. I would like to keep the inground for resale purpose. I would like to build something to support the new tub over the old one. Is this practical? Has anyone done this or have any suggestions?

The tubs I'm looking at are #1 Dimension Diplomat,
#2 Sundance Cameo. #3 HS Sovereign. Any input on these choices would be appreciatted as well. I Live in Southern California if the weather makes any difference.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Building over inground
« on: June 22, 2005, 12:52:13 pm »

shabba34

Re: Building over inground
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 01:01:53 pm »
I have an in ground that works fine, only 5 jets though. While on vacation I used a real spa (HS Sovereign) and was spoiled. I would like to keep the inground for resale purpose. I would like to build something to support the new tub over the old one. Is this practical? Has anyone done this or have any suggestions?

The tubs I'm looking at are #1 Dimension Diplomat,
#2 Sundance Cameo. #3 HS Sovereign. Any input on these choices would be appreciatted as well. I Live in Southern California if the weather makes any difference.

Thanks

I would also look at the HS Envoy as well as the Sov, only to satisfy the difference between one and two jet pump systems.  All three are great spa choices, wet test all three or four and you will have a better feel for what suits your needs. ;)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 11:11:57 am »
This is interesting and I'm just thinking out loud.....

I am not a contractor or even pretend to be one, and it's fairly obvious that you would need to have one come out and take a look at specific situation.  However, I'd be very concerned on the pounds per square inch that the load carriying posts of the new deck would do to the existing spa surface.

Rather than place the new hot tub directly over the old, in-ground one,  how about building a larger platform that covers and hides the existing in ground tub and is large enough to have the new spa well off to the side?

This would create a defined spa,-patio  area, hide the old tub,  but might not be as damaging to the structure of the in ground?  Hmmmm . If done right the raised patio area could even have some form of access panel to the lower tub for matinence? Whaddya think?

Addtional concerns would involve closing the old tub. I'm sure you'd need to put some type of weather proof covering over it so it doens't fill with rain water, dirt and debris. I'd give a lot of thought to this......

Or find a new place for the new tub. Close up the in ground,  build a small covering for it, and put plants on it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 11:23:20 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 11:11:57 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42