What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Shell Staining.  (Read 6085 times)

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
Spa Shell Staining.
« on: June 20, 2005, 08:57:00 pm »
My new Pearl HS Vanguard seems to have a yellow ring around the water line.

I noticed this within the first couple of days and it seemed to scrub away.

I see it again and it does not come off... I am just using a sponge and no cleaner or anything.

I think this is from water hardness? I needed to increase the Calcium Hardness. I had the water tested at me dealer and they recommended the increaser.

The manual states that low Calcium Hardness can cause staining.

So has anybody else dealt with this staining/discoloration?

How should I remove it?

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Shell Staining.
« on: June 20, 2005, 08:57:00 pm »

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
Re: Spa Shell Staining.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 09:02:25 pm »
Yes they have, and in many cases it is permanant.There is typically no warranty,as it is a water chemestry issue.Hey BTW enjoy your new Cal Spas gazebo it's a beauty!
-SpaMan~

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 09:11:01 pm »
I have only owned the spa for a week. I could see if you left bad water in it for 2 months and it stained but for 5 days or so?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 10:38:06 pm »
You using Baqua?
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 11:04:23 pm »
No... Fresh Water III system.

Which I need clear directions on. Each person at my dealer has given me different instructions when I ask questions. :(

Today when I was having the water tested the guy there was confident he knew what he was talking about.

He said with the Ozoan and Silver Ion that I only needed Dichlor on start up. He said I should only use non chlorine shock (MPS) before I use the tub.

He said I don’t even need to test for Chlorine. He said if I am going to use Dichlor than that defeats the purpose of the Silver ion ???

« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 11:05:17 pm by drober30 »

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 06:55:31 am »
Consumer with a HotSpring Vanguard for almost 2 years!

I had a water line ring when I first got my tub, it always wiped away easily with a clean, soft, wet cloth.  I think it was because I was getting the water maintenance down.  I have had no problems (since about the first 3-4 months).  

Anyway, I haven't used the Freshwater III system since about my 6 month mark.  I got one with my delivery.  My dealer told me to put MPS in every time I used the spa, and dichlor once a week to shock.  This is explained very well by a guy named Northman on another board.  (If you would like the link, I would be happy to PM you.)  He is listed in the FAQ's.  I took his regimen, and another one listed in the same spot and combined the two.  I don't use the Freshwater III system (the N2 cartridge) anymore, because my dealer quit carrying HotSpring tubs and no longer sells the cartridges.  Now my closest dealer is 90 miles away!

Anyway, I hope some of this information helps!

This has been my experiences!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 07:26:24 am »
We filled our new tub Sunday, just to get in it (no chemicals), and noticed the same ring as you describe. It came off easily with a sponge.

Monday morning I drained the tub and got all the needed chemicals from my dealer. When I refilled the second time, the ring immediately reappeared.  

I added stain and scale control and calcium hardness to the tub, along with the alkalinity increaser and bromine.

This morning, no rings

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 07:35:22 am »
We filled our new tub Sunday, just to get in it (no chemicals), and noticed the same ring as you describe. It came off easily with a sponge.

Monday morning I drained the tub and got all the needed chemicals from my dealer. When I refilled the second time, the ring immediately reappeared.  

I added stain and scale control and calcium hardness to the tub, along with the alkalinity increaser and bromine.

This morning, no rings

I added the calcium hardness and will re-test today. I have the stain and scale control I will read the bottle.

I might drain and refill the tub. My water has always looked sparkling clean!

Lori I am going to PM you for that link.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 08:46:05 am »
....The manual states that low Calcium Hardness can cause staining.

So has anybody else dealt with this staining/discoloration?

How should I remove it?

The best cleaner I've found for cleaning the waterline is found by scrolling down here:  Tub Rub.  Works like a charm and easy too.  8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 05:45:28 pm »
WSD, there are many products listed there, can u be more specific?
Homeworks Financing Representative

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 05:48:56 pm »
The best cleaner I've found for cleaning the waterline is found by scrolling down here:  Tub Rub.  Works like a charm and easy too.  8)

Be careful what you use, and check with the spa manufacturer as this may also void your warranty.
-SpaMan~

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 06:29:33 pm »

Be careful what you use, and check with the spa manufacturer as this may also void your warranty.

Besides checking with your dealer/manufacturer, it might not be a bad idea to drain some water and try it in an area below the water line so if this screws up the finish a bit it won't show so much. Maybe you could even try it behind a pillow where it would be hidden if it dulls the finish.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 06:29:33 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42