What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water testing takes some of the fun away!  (Read 7217 times)

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
Water testing takes some of the fun away!
« on: June 20, 2005, 09:07:51 pm »
Ok.... I know I will get it down and understand it but it sure does take some of the fun away.

Everything I have read to try and educate myself on water chemistry tells me how my hot tub is full of bacteria and germs from sweat, oils, and hair products ect... Ok, so I'm not germaphobic so I can get past that knowing I just need the right balance and all is good!

So why the difficulty? Why can we put a man on the moon and then bring him back but I have to distinguish between several shades of red to figure out my water chemistry.

I wish there was a digital machine that either said "hey your good way to go"!  Or "nice try but you need to add some increaser".
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 09:12:04 pm by drober30 »

Hot Tub Forum

Water testing takes some of the fun away!
« on: June 20, 2005, 09:07:51 pm »

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
Re: Water testing takes some of the fun away!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 09:25:41 pm »
Or how about sensors built right into the tub connected to a chemical panel that has a digital readout telling me what my levels are and how much of whatever i need too add.
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

Haynes

• 2005 Down East Cape Cod/ Monongahela, PA
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 09:32:59 pm »
Or how about sensors built right into the tub connected to a chemical panel that has a digital readout telling me what my levels are and how much of whatever i need too add.

That would be SWEET!!!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 08:20:03 am »
You can buy digital Ph meters, they are commonly used by home beer and wine makers.  I don't have one, though.  These are available now for around $60 and up, for a model accurate enough for spa use.  
Is it the test strips or the liquid tests that are frustrating you?  I find the test strips annoying, and like the liquid tests much more.
Brewman
Brewman

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 09:46:24 am »
I use the liquid and still find it confusing when looking at the colours, do you hold it to the light, to the ground, put a white background on it, jump on one foot while shaking the tube, wait 30 seconds and look away quickly, walk door to door around the block and ask others for their opinion??
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 09:54:52 am »
I use the liquid and still find it confusing when looking at the colours, do you hold it to the light, to the ground, put a white background on it, jump on one foot while shaking the tube, wait 30 seconds and look away quickly, walk door to door around the block and ask others for their opinion??

Our kit came with a white card that I place behind it and I hold it up to a light.  I think the important thing is that you do the same thing every time.  As long as you are consistant and can manage your water based on the readings you get then you should be good to go.  If jumping on one foot and shaking the tube works for you then go for it.   ;)
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 09:57:04 am »
If I recall, the instructions on my kit says to use in sunlight, against a light background.  The darker it is, the more difficult it is to distinguish colors.  Check out the instructions with your test kit, they probably recommend the correct way to view the vial.
Brewman
Brewman

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 10:36:06 am »
You can buy digital Ph meters, they are commonly used by home beer and wine makers.  I don't have one, though.  These are available now for around $60 and up, for a model accurate enough for spa use.  
 Is it the test strips or the liquid tests that are frustrating you?  I find the test strips annoying, and like the liquid tests much more.
 Brewman

I just bought a Taylor test kit. Only used it once but way better than test strips.

Even with the Taylor kit I find the colors hard to call.

I do like the way you add the drops to calculate how far off your water is.

I would spend extra for an electronic meter if it makes things easier and helps me protect my spa which I spent allot on.

I have only seen the PH meter. What about the rest of test?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 12:24:14 pm »
Well, there's always those tests that my dealer does.
They put my spa water in several little foil sealed vials, and place the vials in some sort of reader, which sends  a water analysis to their printer.  
I suspect that even if this system is available to us average Joes, it's gotta be on the spendy side.
Brewman
Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 12:43:08 pm »
You can buy digital Ph meters, they are commonly used by home beer and wine makers.   Brewman

I bought one for around $30 and found it to be pretty temperature sensitive. It worked good if I got water from the spa and let it set a couple of hours. Kind of takes the instant part of it away though.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 12:43:30 pm »
Well, there's always those tests that my dealer does.
They put my spa water in several little foil sealed vials, and place the vials in some sort of reader, which sends  a water analysis to their printer.  
 I suspect that even if this system is available to us average Joes, it's gotta be on the spendy side.
Brewman

Wow... my dealer has a pretty big testing station but no print out or analysis. They compare colors too.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 01:39:14 pm »
Maybe it's the type of chemicals they sell.  Both places I go to sell Baqua and Brilliance (same company), so maybe the Baqua Company supplies them the test machinery.  I never thought to ask.  But the printout is nice- in addition to the various test results, it adds how much Ph or Alk to add to bring the water in balance, very handy for untreated tap water.
Brewman
Brewman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 01:45:43 pm »
The place I used to go would do a free water test and provide a print out.  

I watched one day and noticed they were just dunking a large test strip in there. I was a bit dispointed, as i had imagined they had some super nifty specto analysis doo hickey.  :(

the print out would detail exactly what i needed to add to my water....And of course with my cynical nature,  I also thought to myself, "bah, this is just some scam to sell me cleaners and chemicals I don't really need."   ;)

When bringing water in to be tested, is there one method, or equipment that is better than others?  What should I look for?
07 Caldera Geneva

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 02:45:20 pm »
The place I used to go would do a free water test and provide a print out.  

I watched one day and noticed they were just dunking a large test strip in there. I was a bit dispointed, as i had imagined they had some super nifty specto analysis doo hickey.  :(

When bringing water in to be tested, is there one method, or equipment that is better than others?  What should I look for?

Look for an employee with great color perception and test strips that are not expired! ;D lol

JJ

• Vita Nuage
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 03:31:04 pm »
While we are dreaming about the ultimate automated tub, how about one that continually tests the water AND adds the chemicals to keep in balance.  Also remote control with a motorized lifter so you can sanitize, run the tub, and raise/lower the cover from inside!

I'm basically lazy :-[

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 03:31:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42