What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance Bromine level  (Read 3274 times)

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
Sundance Bromine level
« on: June 21, 2005, 08:34:34 am »
We have a 2005 Optima with the cd ozonator. Our dealer told us that since we are using the ozone unit, we could disregard the suggested bromine level of the test kit (Aquachek dipper). Just maintain 2 bromine tabs in the basket, with a weekly or biweekly shock.

Is this cool? Tested the water this morning, everything is perfect except bromine, which is predictably low.

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance Bromine level
« on: June 21, 2005, 08:34:34 am »

J._McD

Re: Sundance Bromine level
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 09:13:22 am »
It could be the less you do the better it will be.  Ozone has a big thing to do with it.  Bromine represents a "contact Killer" for any bateria introduced to the water during use when the ozone automatically turns off.

Watch the water.  it should remaind crystal clear and sparkling clean with little to no bromine.

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 09:39:33 am »
Thanks J._McD., definitely sounds like an easy way to disinfect.

I have noticed the ozone "offgassing" smell, but only when I initially take off the cover. It clears away quickly, and a blast of the air blowers, with the installed "stinky cartridge", makes everything lovely again. ;D

J._McD

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 09:53:59 am »
Ozone will collect in the trapped air space between the water and the seal made by the cover.  Ozone is a potent sanitizer and you will notice some discoloration to the underside of your cover after a couple of months.  This is normal.  

Believe me, when ozone stops working, you will know it within 24 hours.  First thing to check is the icon on the control panel and revert to chemical treatments.  You should be ok with the ozonator for up to 5 years, but someday it will go out.  That is when you will truely begin to appreciate ozone and the ease of maintenence.

Ozone is 10 times stronger than chlorine and reacts 3,000 times faster than chlorine or bromine.  But there are times you need to use a chemical sanitizer.  As soon as you touch a button on the control panel the ozone icon will turn off and will not produce ozone while you are using the Hot Tub.  5 minutes after the last button has been touched, it will turn back on.

When you and your wife approach the water, it is clean and clear, and ok to use.  However, if someone gets out, they will bring bacteria back in on their feet and there is NO CONTACT killer.  That is when you need a chemical back up.  Especially kids, in and out, and back in.

Happy tubbing and enjoy. :D

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 09:58:44 am »

First thing to check is the icon on the control panel and revert to chemical treatments.  You should be ok with the ozonator for up to 5 years, but someday it will go out.  

So, if the ozonator on a Sundance tub stops producing ozone will that icon not come on?  Or will it only go off if the ozonator breaks.  I'm assuming that at some point the ozonator will still run but just not produce ozone and didn't know if the electronics are smart enough to know that no ozone is being generated and turn off the icon.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

J._McD

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 10:34:48 am »
The icon is present when there is current draw which is presetn when the ozonator is drawing electrical current.  If in a uv the bulb is out, there is no current draw.  If in a cd the chip expires, there is no current draw.  Thus, no current draw, no icon, no ozone, unplug it and take it in to the dealer to have it checked out.  Life expectancy is, uv 3 to 5 years, cd 5 years.  Warranty is 1 year.

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 10:46:34 am »
There is also an audible buzz when the ozonator is on, but I don't know if it would still "buzz" while not working properly.

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 12:07:40 pm »
Is that correct that icon appears from amp draw or current flow?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 12:07:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42