What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Total chlorine  (Read 1755 times)

NDfar

Total chlorine
« on: June 20, 2005, 12:35:43 pm »
I am having a hard time with my test strips reading total chlorine.  My free chlorine read 1-3 and total reads 10+ (dark green).  I tried shocking and it just stays at 10.  I use diclor about 1/2 tsp per person after use.  I've shocked first with MPS and that is when the reading shot up and shocked two days later with diclor.  I dosen't make sense that there would be a 9-7 combined chlorine (clorimines) with free clorine still available . ???

Hot Tub Forum

Total chlorine
« on: June 20, 2005, 12:35:43 pm »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: Total chlorine
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 05:34:53 pm »
I am having a hard time with my test strips reading total chlorine.  My free chlorine read 1-3 and total reads 10+ (dark green).  I tried shocking and it just stays at 10.  I use diclor about 1/2 tsp per person after use.  I've shocked first with MPS and that is when the reading shot up and shocked two days later with diclor.  I dosen't make sense that there would be a 9-7 combined chlorine (clorimines) with free clorine still available . ???

A typical shock will not oxidize 7+ PPM of chloramines. I would recommend at least a double if not triple shock, leave the cover off for a couple of hours if you are oxidizing with cl/br in this case.

As for your other question, yes you could still have free chlorine with 10+PPM of chloramines.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Total chlorine
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 05:34:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42