What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Taylor Test Kit ?  (Read 3160 times)

Haynes

• 2005 Down East Cape Cod/ Monongahela, PA
Taylor Test Kit ?
« on: June 19, 2005, 08:37:18 pm »
I have been thinking about purchasing the Taylor Test Kit.  I find those test strips hard to read.  How does everyone like their Taylor Test Kit?  What all does it test?  Does it test for water hardness?  Where did everyone purchase theirs from?

Thanks,
Haynes

Hot Tub Forum

Taylor Test Kit ?
« on: June 19, 2005, 08:37:18 pm »

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
Re: Taylor Test Kit ?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 09:26:52 pm »
The test kit is the way to go.  There are a few websites that sell them at a discount , just do a search.

The strips are ok, but the test kit does it all.  The booklet that comes with it explains the chemistry behind it all and is real informative.

Jonathan

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 11:15:54 pm »
Another alternative is a less extensive reagent test kit, like the ones you can get a Walmart for about $15.
 They test Ph, alk, Chlorine or Bromine, hardness, and cyanuric acid.  Might be all you need.
Brewman
Brewman

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 01:52:11 am »
I much prefer the Taylor Test kits... partly because I do so much testing. The Taylor gives you accurate easy to read results and you can pick and choose what youre testing for... Unlike the test strips-- you wind up testing for everything everytime you dunk...

The kit I buy tests for free chlorine, bromine, TA, pH, Calcium Hardness etc...you can select between different kits.

One caveat to buying pool and spa chems from Wally world is that none of the people there know how or what to use- and their inventory is typically seasonal... by September the pool and spa stuff is replaced by back to school supplies.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 10:07:34 am »
I purchased mine at rhtubs.com.  Tests everything you need..free chlorine, combined chlorine, bromine, pH, acid demand, base demand, water hardness, TA, CYA.  IMO, the only thing strips are good for is a quick chlorine reading.

ArcherC

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 12:56:09 pm »
The Taylor test kits are awesome. All of our commercial customers use them because they are very accurate. They are also easy to get refills for because most dealers should carry them. There are two kits that will do everything you need, the 2005 and the 2006. The 2005 will test the clorine using drops and the 2006 will use a powder reagent. If you want the most accuracy at higher chlorine levels go with the 2006, but for cost reasons, the 2005 works just as good for at home use.

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 01:58:49 pm »
I was wondering what kit!

I seen there is a "Taylor Complete" which I think is the same as the "K-2005"

I'm going to pick one up locally here. After shipping charges I found that the price at the local pool stores to be within a few bucks.

z71tahoe193

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 02:42:43 pm »
Sorry to take this off topic, but my CYA is so high or low when i test for it I can not even get a reading. I never see the black dot getting close to disapearing, so Im afraid I have not been correcting for this in my total alk. Any thought?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 02:57:11 pm »
I've never gotten a reading on that test either, and I'm assuming it's because I don't have the buildup.
Probably the same for you.
Brewman
Brewman

ArcherC

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 03:01:36 pm »
"Sorry to take this off topic, but my CYA is so high or low when i test for it I can not even get a reading. I never see the black dot getting close to disapearing, so Im afraid I have not been correcting for this in my total alk. Any thought?"

So your water is clear in the test tube? If this is the case then your CYA should be low, which in a spa is fine. If you are using dichlor, when the cya gets to the point where it is hard to see the dot at all, it might be a good time to drain. If you are using bromine, you should not have any cya except possibly from a chlorine based shock.
Another possibility is that your testing reagent might be over a year old and could have gone bad.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 03:01:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42