What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question Chas .....  (Read 4992 times)

autoplay

Question Chas .....
« on: June 16, 2005, 10:32:11 pm »
I'm reading on the spa deceptionist board that Hot Springs in going down.  When will Hot-Springs be outta business?  Is it safe to say,Hot-Springs won't be in his "spa-off" this year?

Amazingly,he still states his spas are ETL/UL listed etc. How can that be legal,once it's modified from it's tested form? Help me understand.....is it still legal and binding,to have an ETL sticker on a spa or any devise for that matter,if it's altered in any way from the way it was tested in ETL/UL labs?

Being it's an electrical/water issue,can see a massive lawsuit the minute ONE person is hurt/killed from the mad scientist dirty deeds to invoke a buck.

Why isn't someone taking this to a higher level???

Hot Tub Forum

Question Chas .....
« on: June 16, 2005, 10:32:11 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Question Chas .....
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 12:49:53 am »
Is it safe to say,Hot-Springs won't be in his "spa-off" this year?

I would say that is a safe bet.

One thing I would like to state whenever I get the chance:
HotSpring did not lose it's UL listing. ETL uses the very same standard (ANSI/UL-1563) that UL has used. This move was, "Unilateral and did not involve the advice or consent of UL in any way" to quote Watkins President Steven Hammock.

Further, the decision was made in 2004, a full two years after the USCPSC voluntary Corrective Action Plan was closed by the USCPSC. These data are all public record and easily proven.

Interestingly enough, all heaters used in all watkins spa products - both then and now - are UL listed and have the UL mark clearly and proudly upon them.

Consumers - if you want the truth , feel free to call the factory and ask for customer service.

1-800-999-4688

Or go to the ETL website and look up the listings yourself.  
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

shabba34

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 11:26:21 am »
I would say that is a safe bet.

One thing I would like to state whenever I get the chance:
HotSpring did not lose it's UL listing. ETL uses the very same standard (ANSI/UL-1563) that UL has used. This move was, "Unilateral and did not involve the advice or consent of UL in any way" to quote Watkins President Steven Hammock.

Further, the decision was made in 2004, a full two years after the USCPSC voluntary Corrective Action Plan was closed by the USCPSC. These data are all public record and easily proven.

Interestingly enough, all heaters used in all watkins spa products - both then and now - are UL listed and have the UL mark clearly and proudly upon them.

Consumers - if you want the truth , feel free to call the factory and ask for customer service.

1-800-999-4688

Or go to the ETL website and look up the listings yourself.  

Chas,
Sounds just like the letter sitting on my desk also.  Actually, why don't you scan that letter in and post it to the site.  I believe this letter from Steve has no confidentiality boundaries, and it would be nice to have everyone see what the pres of  Watkins had to say about the non-issue issue. ;)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 11:37:23 am »
I will call and/or email and see if they want that to happen, and abide by their wishes. The letter is addressed, "Dear Prospective Spa Owner:" and does not bear any "trade secret" language.

In the meantime, I know that anyone can all Watkins and they will basicaly send you a copy.

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 02:04:40 pm »
So let me make sure I understand this.......Hot Springs Spas are going down as in going out of business???

Chris_H

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 02:08:14 pm »
So let me make sure I understand this.......Hot Springs Spas are going down as in going out of business???

Backpains,
No, Hotspring is not going out of business.  This is a thread that probably should be done in private.  The average consumer has no idea what they are talking about.

autoplay

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 02:14:09 pm »
#1 Chris,why should this thread be private?  #2  Are you saying I have no idea what I'm talking about?

Amazed Chris,that you would state that about me. Guess I'll go back under my rock,professing nothing about spas!

P.S. ... Chris,why don't you explain it,since I and/or comsumers know squatoodla.

Chris_H

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 02:57:29 pm »
Response to #1:      It should be done in private because one individual thought Hotspring was going out of business.  

Response to #2:      I didn’t say ‘you had no idea what you were talking about.’  I said the average consumer has no idea what you are talking about.  These average consumers might construe your comments as a problem with a manufacturer when there really isn’t a problem.

My comment:            You obviously know what you are talking about, as does Chas, but to the average person they may think Hotspring is going out of business.  This is not something I would want people thinking about Hotspring.

shabba34

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 03:25:07 pm »
I'm reading on the spa deceptionist board that Hot Springs in going down.  When will Hot-Springs be outta business?  Is it safe to say,Hot-Springs won't be in his "spa-off" this year?

(Gas Station Attendant)  "I'm sensing your sarcasm"  ( David Spade) "I should hope so, cause I'm layin it on pretty thick"   -Tommy Boy-
;D

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 04:26:58 pm »
Would one of you send me a private message and tell me where to find this whacko?  Just curious.

Thanks,

Bill

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 04:54:28 pm »
Shoppers:

As was stated above, HotSpring Spas is not going out of business. In fact, though this year has started off slower than we would have liked it to, they are still enjoying a growing market share and growth over last year.

Hot Spring is made by Watkins Manufacturing Corporation, a division of Masco. Go check the NYSE to see how Masco is doing, but suffice to say they haven't anything to worry about.

What Auto was refering to was that a man who dreams he is a competitor of HotSprings has made the threat that he is going to 'bring HotSprings down.'

It's a ridiculous threat, but is funny to read.

Chris_H

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 05:18:47 pm »
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 05:39:13 pm by wmccall »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2005, 05:37:54 pm »
http://www.masco.com/investors/pdfs/MascoAnnualReport2004.pdf

Just in case you don't believe Chas.  

Question Chas? Despite, the title of this thread, I never would!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 05:38:29 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2005, 05:45:31 pm »
I asked about the Flim Flam Man when I was in Vista in March.  Yes, the powers that be are aware of him.  Yes, they think he is entertaining.  He is being given enough rope to hang himself.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005, 05:53:23 pm »
Question Chas? Despite, the title of this thread, I never would!

That's quite an honor, and quite a responsibility.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005, 05:53:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42