What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tri X Filter cleaning question  (Read 6828 times)

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
Tri X Filter cleaning question
« on: June 15, 2005, 09:51:55 am »
I am doing my 1st water change on a HS Envoy. I drained the tub last night and will clean the shell today and refill. The HS owners manual says you can put the Tri X filters in the dishwasher to clean them. Has any one cleaned there filters by this method. Is there any other step to clean them if I put them in the dishwasher, (Kwik-Strip soak ect.) or do I just put them in the dishwasher and right back in the tub. Thanks for the info!

Hot Tub Forum

Tri X Filter cleaning question
« on: June 15, 2005, 09:51:55 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Tri X Filter cleaning question
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 10:14:13 am »
For a first water change, I would give them a quick spritz with an "Instant Filter Cleaner" and a quick rinse first.

You have more oil on the filter right now than usual since you and your spa are new to soaking.

Usually you can simply run then through the dishwasher without soap and with the dry cycle off.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

J._McD

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 10:20:50 am »
Simple, easy, convenient, a “no brainer”, a good sales point on the ease of maintenance, but is it a good idea, some will say, why not? :-/

This is a controversial question and I am sure it will invoke some differing points of view.   IMO, I fail to recognize how the dishwasher can get into all of the pleats to clean matter from deep within the filter.  Secondly, the filter contains, I do not even want to think of it, let’s just call it dirt, and is used to filter everything out of the Hot Tub.  

The dishwasher is where I clean our dishes and eating utensils.  While I will admit, it is a “hot water” environment, how would you feel about finding a “curly” hair in the forks? ::) :-/

I simply choose to clean my filters in the traditional way.  Soak them in a filter cleaning solution and hose them off with the garden hose.  I must admit, the simplicity of using the dishwasher is certainly appealing, but no thank you.

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 11:24:04 am »
The dishwasher works great!  Run through a cycle without any soap and you're done.  Then run the dishwasher empty to clear the below concern.

The dishwasher is where I clean our dishes and eating utensils.  While I will admit, it is a “hot water” environment, how would you feel about finding a “curly” hair in the forks? ::) :-/

Is that any worse than the dried food matter that you sometimes find?

Cgar

• Havanas and hot tubs... a match made in heaven.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 11:30:56 am »
At least the curly hair would be clean.  Right?   ;D

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 11:47:17 am »
Just create your own hotub rules,

1.  No Jewelry

2.  No suit

3.  No hair below the shoulders
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2005, 12:09:09 pm »

1.  No Jewelry

2.  No suit

I like those rules!! I will tell my wife to comply because that what the experts on the website said woulld be best.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 12:51:47 pm »

1.  No Jewelry

2.  No suit

Just to add to these points of wisdom. I got a call last year from a guy who had been removing his filter for cleaning. When he removed somehow his glass eye was displaced and fell into the filter compartment and went down the hole and into the plumbing. He needed someone to take it apart to get it as he said it was a $1500 eye. I hesitated waiting for the person on the other end of the phone line to start laughing and tell me it was a joke but apparently it wasn't so I referred him to a tech in his area.

SOOOO, when removing your filter, please remove your glass eye first and set it safely aside.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 01:13:44 pm »
[quote author=J._McD

>This is a controversial question and I am sure it will invoke some differing points of view.   IMO, I fail to recognize how the dishwasher can get into all of the pleats to clean matter from deep within the filter.  Secondly, the filter contains, I do not even want to think of it, let’s just call it dirt, and is used to filter everything out of the Hot Tub.  

I simply choose to clean my filters in the traditional way.  Soak them in a filter cleaning solution and hose them off with the garden hose.  I must admit, the simplicity of using the dishwasher is certainly appealing, but no thank you.
[/quote]<

This point of view makes zero sense to me.  First of all there is no more effective way to clean and sanitize complex shapes than in a dishwasher.  Consumer Reports has tested for this specific thing and anyone can access any of their test reports on dishwashers over the years to confirm it.  So there is no reason to question the potential effectiveness of a dishwasher to clean the filters.  Mine gets deep in the pleats just fine.

Second, the issue of bacteria is raised.  Our mouths have more bacteria in them than any other part of our body.  So if the dishwasher is the safest, most efficient means of removing bacteria from dishes and flatware, it is not credible to say that it can't do the same for filters.  Consider this simple test.  Eat your dinner and then look at the dishes and flatware and the amount of stuff on them before washing.  Then go pull your spa water filter and look at the amount of stuff on it or them.  Unless you lick your bowl so to speak, it is probably safe to say that there is a lot more stuff on the dishes and the dishwasher handles the task of cleaning, rinsing, and draining just fine.  Curlies indeed, this is nothing but a scare tactic.

I have cleaned my filters in the dishwasher at every water change on my Envoy (~ every 60 days) and am here to testify that this is a safe and effective process.

Regards,

Bill
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 01:15:13 pm by Bill_Stevenson »

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2005, 01:26:03 pm »
I have a friend who is a doctor and he does confirm, the most bacteria ANYWHERE on our body is in our mouths and nose.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2005, 09:28:45 pm »
SOOOO, when removing your filter, please remove your glass eye first and set it safely aside.

Thanks - I'll keep an eye out for that.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 09:09:36 am »
Be prepared to  comply yourself as well!

I like those rules!! I will tell my wife to comply because that what the experts on the website said woulld be best.

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 04:04:40 pm »
On  cartridge filters, there is a band wrapping the pleats.

The band snapped off and I've discovered the filter is much easier to clean. I can sepereate the pleats and really hose off the filter.  It's been a couple of months and I haven't noticed any diff in the water quality if I have the bandless filter in or the banded on.

I asked one dealer about this and was told "no problem. The band is just there for shipping. cut it off ".

Another dealer said "No. Leave it on. It keeps the pleats tight and at a uniform distance."

Any filter experts want to chime in and enlighten me?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 04:06:47 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2005, 04:53:45 pm »
The only issue I can see is on some spas the filter fits in tightly and if the band goes away the filter can expand and be more difficult to remove.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

J._McD

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2005, 05:01:48 pm »
On  cartridge filters, there is a band wrapping the pleats.

The band snapped off and I've discovered the filter is much easier to clean. I can sepereate the pleats and really hose off the filter.  It's been a couple of months and I haven't noticed any diff in the water quality if I have the bandless filter in or the banded on.

I asked one dealer about this and was told "no problem. The band is just there for shipping. cut it off ".

Another dealer said "No. Leave it on. It keeps the pleats tight and at a uniform distance."

Any filter experts want to chime in and enlighten me?

Drew, the first guy lied to you, well maybe he thought he was telling the truth.  The band is applied in the manufacturing process to keep the pleats uniformly in place.  You will notice after a while, some pleats will be wider apart than others.  This will not diminish the filtering capacity of the filter, but water will take the path of least resistance and "load up" faster in those wider areas.  Simply, rotate the filter 45° allowing primary suction to enter the filter from a different position.

The second guy, you see, told the truth as he knew it to be and I agree. :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2005, 05:01:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42