What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What Chemicals do you use in your Hot Tub?? Poll..  (Read 13248 times)

jet757f

• Sundance Palermo
What Chemicals do you use in your Hot Tub?? Poll..
« on: June 15, 2005, 11:17:08 pm »
I was curious to find out what everyone uses for chemicals in their Hot Tub and why??
Seems like everyone has their own opinion on this.

I have not received my Sundance Palermo Hot Tub yet but the dealer has us down for Nature 2.

We were supposed to get it today... but then when they tried to deliver it, we found out that we need a crane thanks to a gas meter that sticks out too far at side entrance to back yard. How frustrating!!!! :-[

Try again next week!!!

Ken

Hot Tub Forum

What Chemicals do you use in your Hot Tub?? Poll..
« on: June 15, 2005, 11:17:08 pm »

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
Re: What Chemicals do you use in your Hot Tub?? Po
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 10:23:20 am »
First thing is that I would hope your dealer has you down for more than just Nature2.  Mineral purifiers are not a replacement for a sanitizer.  They help and reduce the amount of sanitizer you need but you can't just use the mineral purifier (Nature2, Spa Frog, etc).

In our case we started with Bromine but have switched to dichlor.  We had some skin issues with bromine and had a hard time managing the water.  The bromine levels would spike really high and take forever to come down and the water was never really 'clear'.  

Now, we're basically using Vermonter's method outlined on www.rhtubs.com FAQ board.  We use dichlor after every use (at the end of the day if multiple uses).  We generally use 2tsps but will use more or less depending on how many people were in the tub.  Then, once a week I shock with dichlor (2-3 tbsp).  Our ph/alk tends to drop a bit so every other week or so I have to add some spa up to keep it in line.  I also use Spa Defender every couple of weeks as well to protect the plumbing.  Very simple now and we have amazingly clear water and it's much easier on our skin than Bromine was.

Ken
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 10:32:30 am »
Brilliance - from the people who make Baqua.

I like the fact that this bromine product contains no chlorine.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 11:13:22 am »
We were supposed to get it today... but then when they tried to deliver it, we found out that we need a crane thanks to a gas meter that sticks out too far at side entrance to back yard. How frustrating!!!! :-[

Try again next week!!!
Ken

We call that the Lori Syndrome  ;D

Dichlor,  Baking soda, Spa Clear MPS is all I own.  My water out of the tap is close on PH and low on alkalinity. Adding baking soda gets the Ph to a good min and puts the alk where it needs to be.  Hardness is ok where it is.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 11:15:19 am »
Dichlor, ozone, Nature 2 and an edict to the kids to swim in the pool first and then go in the spa. ;D
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 01:10:18 pm »

We call that the Lori Syndrome  ;D

Don't I know it!!!  But, just remember, all's well that end's well!!!

;)
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 01:17:26 pm »
Ozone, frog mineral, bromine and MPS (baking soda for the rare PH adjustment); simplicity, keeping the amount of chems low.
e

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 07:32:59 pm »
Brilliance Bromine, and their MPS shock.
Plus the usual ph increase, decrease, etc...
Brewman
Brewman

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 08:34:03 pm »
Oops!  I should have answered the question,  I use Dichlor for everyday and my shock.  Occasional use of baking soda for ph and alk up!

That is it!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 09:42:06 pm »
I use all Biogaurd products... Bromine tablets in a filter dispenser, bromine concentrate as needed, shock once a week or possibly twice during heavy bather loads, stain and scale and natural spa enzyme alternating every other week. PH decreaser on a fresh fill and then increaser as needed, and antifoam after the kids have had friends over hottubbing. ( no need for this product if you lucky enough to go in your "Birthday Suit") LOL

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 09:57:40 am »
I use the Vermonter's water treatment approach, which is dichlor.  My Envoy has Nature2 and Ozone too.  I do treat for calcium hardness and add Silken at each water change.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 10:07:50 am »
In my older tub no zone, no continious flow, I was advised to use bromine.  I checked it every week, and occasionaly, on the advise of the dealer's water tests, added
a calcium hardner.

Occasionaly I used an anti-foam which works great, but found it made the water a bit cloudy. So I added a water clarifer as needed.  All in all the test strips indicated I was pretty well balanced and I never had a problem with algie or scum.  I never had a problem with PH.

Free chlorine vs total : I was told not to worry about that...just watch the bromide, PH alkilinity and clarity and the chlorine would take  care of itself.
However after reading topics in here I'm  wondering if that was good advice or not....

I did have itchy itchy skin But with my new tub,  I'll be switching to the a di-cholor and a Cd ozinator set up.  So in a few weeks I might be able to offer my perspective on that.

Oh yea, an occasional pinch of nutmeg to the water will harken yo back to olden days of grandma's hotub  ::)
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 10:07:50 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42