What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Dealer should replace or fix  (Read 6162 times)

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
Dealer should replace or fix
« on: June 10, 2005, 11:28:05 am »
To all dealers out there if you sold a tub and it was leaking in the first week would you replace it or try and fix it???????
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

Hot Tub Forum

Dealer should replace or fix
« on: June 10, 2005, 11:28:05 am »

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
Re: Dealer should replace or fix
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 11:36:18 am »
That would be up to the manufacturer,as you don' see many dealers ready to return a spa to their facility ,sell it as a refubished unit and take a loss.Most manufacturers warranties would repair.I have not seen one yet that says if "if it leaks in the first week we will replace it.Most manufacturers cover their products for five years and with continued problems they may elect to replace it as a lemon.
-SpaMan~

Chris_H

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 11:37:33 am »
Depends on where the leak is...

shabba34

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 11:37:39 am »
To all dealers out there if you sold a tub and it was leaking in the first week would you replace it or try and fix it???????

HS will replace the spa in the first 90 days if there is an in foam leak.  No cost to the customer obviously.  This is not stated in the warranty, however the manufacturer requires the return of the spa in order to maintain and limit issues that could possibly arise within the assembly process of the spa.  it is precautionary and preventative to make sure there are not hundreds of spas that may have an issue.

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 11:39:49 am »

Sorry if you've said in the past, but what type of spa did you buy?  

IMHO, owning 4 tubs now, it totally depends on how willing and busy the dealer is.  Even if some manufacturers will replace a tub, I think it would depend on how the dealer wants to handle it - and if they tell you about that policy.

Mark

Rayman

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 11:50:19 am »
It's a Beachcomber and it comes with a 30 day free trial period so I don't see why I can't return it.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 12:13:57 pm »
I understand your frustration Ray.

In my opinion, if there's an issue with a spa, it's found in the first couple weeks. Ironing out the bugs so to speak... It happens with cars and other items and though manufacturers do a much better job at eliminating these problems than in years past, there still is a possibility of something like this.

In this instance, we would repair the problem under warranty. If consistant problems arrise, this would warant the replacement of the new spa.

Give your dealer a chance to make it right for you and there's a good chance you won't require a service call again in its warranty period.

Steve

J._McD

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 12:39:29 pm »
Rayman, when I deliver to my customer we both have expectations.  It should not leak.  If it should we will immediately investigate and do a "quality alert" that goes to the top of the manufacturing company.  

Secondly, we would evaluate and determine the source and solution to the leak and immediately take action to correct it at no expense to the customer.  If the situation calls for replacement, I as the dealer make that call and I would make that decision in the favor of my customer, who bought and expected what I sold, a quality Hot Tub that did not leak.  After that it will be an issue resolved between the dealer and the manufacturer.  They are definetly going to take care of each other and support the dealers decision.

Do I want to pick up the spa and deliver another?  NO, but I have done it many times before.  The longer it drags out to make things right, the bigger the problem and they just shouldn't be dragged out.  Make the customer happy, take the problem away, order a new unit to replace it and deliver it with a letter of appology and a bottle of wine.

I WIN ;D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 12:42:07 pm by J._McD »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 02:24:32 pm »
I agree with Spaman and Steve, but tell us more about the leak. Technically, I had a leak, but I bought a floor model and the salespeople like to take the diverters apart and demonstrate them for some reason at my dealer. One of them pinched the O ring and when I turned on the water falls, it also watered my back yard. The dealer came out the next morning, knowing what would be the cause, O ring in hand.  Do you know whats leaking?  Is it something a simple turn of a wrench might fix?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Rayman

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 09:47:14 pm »
The dealer has been very helpful, the main reason he wants to take it back to his shop is the shop is less than 2 minutes away, I can actually walk to it.  He has given me 4 options.
1.This tub was a floor model and he is willing to swap it out for another floor model ( he has found 3 but only one like mine but different color, still waiting on pricing)
2. Fix the leak (if he can't then a new tub)
3. Pay a little extra and get a new one (not full price though).  
4. Return it for a full refund minus the original install charge.
So he has given me 4 very good options.  I just have to choose.

Chalk one up for all you dealers out there, this is why you shouldn't buy from a BIGBOX store.

I will update all on the outcome if you are interested.

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 10:40:50 pm »
I would definitely not be hapy with a spa that is leaking after only one week  >:(. I know it was a floor model but still, you would not expect these kind of problems already. I would suggest you look into getting a new one and pay the difference in price. That is what I would do if put in your position. I would especially do this if there are no other floor models exactly as the one you had or wanted. Good luck with everything and I hope you are soaking again soon  ;D

J._McD

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2005, 07:54:03 am »
Rayman, I am sorry about your dilemma, but if you read my post, I don’t agree that your dealer has been “helpful”.  You bought what you bought and it wasn’t supposed to leak unless that is where the “floor model” comes into this picture.  I said, No, I wouldn’t want to pick it up either, but it is not supposed to leak.  

This last winter, we delivered a refurbished spa that we water tested twice before delivery 65 miles away.  Guess what, it leaked.  Long story short, full foam, center footwell jet a real PITA.  We couldn’t work on it in the snow on the deck in December.  I was angry about this but we brought it back to the shop.  What did we find, cracked jet center footwell.  How did that happen after we water tested twice to deliver once.  My people, my hi-lo loading the spa for delivery, my responsibility, thus my fault.  I was pi$$ed.  Well, suck it up, it is not the customers fault, there will be NO CHARGE to the customer, but their confidence was shattered in what I sold them (mine too).

You say,
“1.This tub was a floor model and he is willing to swap it out for another floor model ( he has found 3 but only one like mine but different color, still waiting on pricing)  
2. Fix the leak (if he can't then a new tub)  
3. Pay a little extra and get a new one (not full price though).  
4. Return it for a full refund minus the original install charge.
So he has given me 4 very good options.  I just have to choose”

I am amazed at what I do for my customers, (excuse me for that self ingratiating statement) when other competitors get away with soooo much.  Believe me, dealers do make the difference.  

Why should it cost you?  STOP (I am causing trouble for another dealer here and maybe this is against your grain, BUT)  Neither one of you expected the spa to leak.  You bought what was a good deal.  He should make it right.  He is 2 minutes away and should be able to fix it right there.  If he wants to pick it up, then it may be a bit more involved.

1.  Swap it out? What if that one leaks, it is not what you bought.
2.  Fix the leak at no charge to you.  If you confidence has been shattered,
3.  Upgrade at minimal cost.  My idea of what it should cost is NOT what your dealer would agree to, $00.00
4.  Return it for a full refund minus “NOTHING”, you didn’t buy a leaker.

OK, let’s be reasonable,
1.  Have him fix it at no charge to you and inspect the process.   Your within walking distance this relationship is important to you.
2.  Upgrade for new, but only at minimal cost.  What was it new when you bought and what did you pay, work it out, but minimal, you are the customer, but you don’t want to turn him into an a$$#@%%.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2005, 11:39:12 am »
I think this is getting blown waaaaaay out of proportion here. ::)

I totally agree in having the dealer pick up the spa. As we don't really know where this leak is (no response to Bill's question), let's assume it isn't within the equipment area as I'm sure they wouldn't remove a spa to tighten a union.

Leaks can happen and as much as we like to believe they shouldn't, the reality is it can and it does on occasion. I really have no clue what the difference is whether or it's a "floor model" because you're talking like these are more susceptible to leaking or something. ??? It has no bearing on the problem at hand in any way. Floor models are new spas that haven't been delivered yet. Period!

So getting back to the real issue...If your dealer does an on-site repair and fills it back up to find out a week later, there were 2 or 3 areas leaking, you are certainly going to flip out! If they take it back and make sure by filling it after the repair to make sure that's not the case, then you are happy once again. It's about making sure it's done right the first time.

Let's not get dramatic and demand an upgraded spa for no cost or send it back or whatever else has been suggested. It sucks to have this happen but let your dealer handle it and look after you. It looks like they are.

If another leak occurs (which it shouldn't), then let's look at this a different way and maybe investigate these options. Until then, don't get caught up in the drama here Ray and I'm sure you'll have a great product that you're going to enjoy for many years.

Steve

Rayman

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2005, 06:25:21 pm »
Once the tub is picked up and fixed my 30 days will start all over again and my 5 year warranty.  If I am still not happy then I have the other 3 options at my disposal.  The floor model I bought was never on the floor still had all the nice decals on it, it was a custom tub in a color they no longer make (MICA) from 2004.  I understand that I purchased a tub for almost 3 grand less than the same model new, the dealer has offered to get me a brand new tub (2005, my color and skirt choices) for $875 canadian more.  They are going to pick it up during the week and have it back by the weekend with a bunch of goodies thrown in.  I will keep all informed unless you want to end the drama!!  

Ray

J._McD

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2005, 10:00:40 pm »
Believe me, it would appear he is trying real hard to make good in a bad situation.  That would make him a good dealer. ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2005, 10:00:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42