What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sealtite  (Read 8853 times)

JJ

• Vita Nuage
Sealtite
« on: June 13, 2005, 04:50:20 pm »
Electricans came this morning to run wire for tub.  50 amp non GFI in the box to a 50 amp GFI on another box on the wall.  Then about 20 feet of waterproof flexible conduit (sealtite) from the outside box along the side of the house to the tub area.

Is this amount of flexible conduit allowable by code?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 04:51:31 pm by JJ »

Hot Tub Forum

Sealtite
« on: June 13, 2005, 04:50:20 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Sealtite
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 06:05:20 pm »
It is my understanding, as a non electrician, that it is not.  When I did mine, I believe the limit was 6' or so, and that included the couple feet inside the spa cabinet.
However, the rules may be applied differently in certain areas, so if you are concerned, try asking the electrical inspection authority in your city, county, township, etc.
Brewman
Brewman

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 07:00:16 pm »
As I read my 1996 NEC, 6' limit on non-motorized equipment (such as lighting "whips"), 3' max on motorized stuff (like spas?).

I used to be in the HVAC biz, we would be allowed to run longer than 3' sealtite to the outside condensers from the disconnects, so maybe there is an exception for spas?

At the advice of others here, I plan on running non-metallic rigid conduit up to the point where it enters the spa skirt, then go sealtite.

Of course what matters is what your local inspectors go by.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 07:07:03 pm by johnvb »

JJ

• Vita Nuage
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 09:30:44 pm »
I'm considering running PVC conduit along the wall where the sealtite is clamped now, and just run the sealtight inside it.  I don't see how this would be any different than wires in the conduit, and I really don't want to try and pull the wires out.

This is assuming I can't get the electrican to fix it.

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 11:22:05 pm »
This is a lazy electricians type of work.  Don't let the inspector pass his work, he can't charge you to modify his screw up.  Sealtite looks like crap on a straight run.  The PVC conduit will look better and sags less over time.  If it's not saging now, it will.
Good luck

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 08:17:23 am »
I ran sc80 pvc conduit to about 18" from the spa, then switched to sealtite for the remainder.  If I recall, I had to limit the length to 6' for the whip.
Keep in mind where the conduit runs, and if it would be considered subject to physical damage or not, thereby needing sch 80 vs sch 40.  There wasn't much cost difference so I went with the 80 just to overkill.
But again, it's what your local inspector says that's important.  

Brewman
Brewman

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 08:24:04 am »
My electrician ran "liquidtite" same as "sealtite" from my outside box trenched down 18" followed the concrete patio (it's all curved) to the tub, roughly 40 feet.
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

fletch49

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 09:46:12 am »
Are you sure it's not a product called Tek-Cable? This stuff resembles sealtite, but it is wire bundled in sheath, bundled in metal conduit, then bundled in a Sealtite coating. It is very industrial, seems to be used a lot for wiring up Saunas and Tubs around my area.

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 09:52:42 am »
No the actual cables are fished through the liquidtite, I know the stuff you are speaking of though.
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

JJ

• Vita Nuage
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 11:43:12 am »
After seeing what they had to go through to get the wire into the sealtite, it's not coming out.  The sealtite is 7/8" OD, so I'm going to check and see what size PVC conduit is needed for it to go inside.  I'll try to get the electrican to do it, but if he won't, I'll go ahead myself.

Nobody seems to work on your house as if it were their house.

fletch49

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 12:24:31 pm »
Another thing you should be aware of is that there are NEC requirements on wire size and conduit sizes.  I'm sure someone will correct me on this, but you cannot displace more that 75% of conduit area.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005, 03:33:59 pm »
There are conuit fill guidelines, and they're really not that easy to interpret, at least I didn't think so.
I used 3/4" pvc to run my spa wiring.  I had 2 #6 hot leads and a #8 insulated ground in the 3/4".  I believe I could have ran a neutral in the conduit as well, and still be within fill limits.  The inpector passed it, and he was extremely thorough.
Brewman
Brewman

JJ

• Vita Nuage
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 04:22:50 pm »
Well, I talked to the electrican again and he says it's to code.  But is looks like poo.  I'm going to spend $20 bucks on some PVC conduit and run the sealtite inside it along the wall, because my patio now looks like a factory.

JJ

• Vita Nuage
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 10:02:36 pm »
$6.13 on 1" PVC and a few hangers, ran the sealtite inside and it looks MUCH better.

Hey I'm a full member!

Tub arrives maybe Friday!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2005, 08:22:27 am »
Good job!
Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2005, 08:22:27 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42