What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Di-chlore and MPS  (Read 5463 times)

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
Di-chlore and MPS
« on: June 12, 2005, 04:25:56 pm »
I'm a little confused on the difference between di-chlor and MPS.  

Shock which I think is MPS and Di-chlor which I think is sanitizer? When to use them?

PH has raiser/reducer chemicals and Alkaline has a raiser chemical and no reducer chemical.

I have read people shock the tub then jump in? Is this right?

I am using the HS Fresh Water system. Silver ion and Ozonator.

Hot Tub Forum

Di-chlore and MPS
« on: June 12, 2005, 04:25:56 pm »

jetster

• Bublin Jetsetter
Re: Di-chlore and MPS
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 06:59:20 pm »
I have an HS also and was told to use the MPS prior to each use 1tbsp and to shock once a week with the enhanced shock. The enhanced shock has a small amount of chlorine. got the tub on June 2nd and so far water is crystal clear me and the wife using it every night for an hour.

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 07:45:37 pm »
Thanks!

Nhbeacon

• Still a happy Siberian owner
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 10:27:07 pm »
Drober,
It's all about how much you use the tub, number of people, etc. I have a tiger river with the dichlor, mps and silver ions stuff in the filter. We just alternate b/n mps and dichlor and only shock it if there is heavy use that week.  Usually I will either put it in 10 minutes before getting in or as we are getting out, just depends on how many are using.
When I first got the tub, I was more obsessive about it, but after 10 months, we have the hang of it. We had water in it from November to last weekend and it was clear and clean. Those rainy weekends here in the N. east were a pain to work around.
Enjoy!
Jan
Maybe the Hokey Pokey is what's all about?

georgiapeach

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 08:26:15 am »
I'm a little confused on the difference between di-chlor and MPS.  

Shock which I think is MPS and Di-chlor which I think is sanitizer? When to use them?

PH has raiser/reducer chemicals and Alkaline has a raiser chemical and no reducer chemical.

Hi Drober,

I've had my Grandee since November.  I followed my dealer's recommendation and have not had one problem (except when I let my nephew get in...that was my horror story).  I use 1 Tablespoon of MPS per person about 10 minutes prior to getting into the tub.  If I forget, I do it afterwards and I put a half a capful of Di-Chlor once a week, usually on Saturday's.  I'm no expert, by far, but this has worked for me.  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 10:22:31 am »
I have an HS also and was told to use the MPS prior to each use 1tbsp and to shock once a week with the enhanced shock. The enhanced shock has a small amount of chlorine. got the tub on June 2nd and so far water is crystal clear me and the wife using it every night for an hour.

Jester, Do you have the Cd ozinator on your HS tub?
07 Caldera Geneva

nicker

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 11:08:54 am »
I usually use Dichlor after each soak.  I say usually becuase depending on what my levels were and how many users.  But generally is one tbls after a soak and then shock with MPS each week.  MPS is a non clorine shock (well the one I use is).   Once I shock I generallly run the tub for one cycle (30 minutes) with the cover open to let any off gases escape.  I usually way a hour or so after a shock before I use the tub but was told you could use it right away.  Same with the dichlor if I did happen to add it before a soak I try to wait before use.

jetster

• Bublin Jetsetter
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 01:42:16 pm »
Drewstar,

Yes I have the cd ozonator.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 02:02:20 pm »
I thought a CD ozinator employed with a 24/7 circ pump eliminated the need to weekly shock? Did i mis-hear or told an exargeration by the salesman.
07 Caldera Geneva

hbcpa

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 02:50:22 pm »
I have an HS Vanguard we got in April. Only instructions i got from the dealer was to put 1/2 tsp of dichlor per person after use and test ph monthly. The only problem I've had was suds in the water and that was from washing our suits in detergent. Cleared it up with extra dose of dichlor about 3 tbs. The cartidge they supply only works with dichlor  

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 03:29:01 pm »
When I first got the tub, I was more obsessive about it, but after 10 months, we have the hang of it.

Jan

There is a big quote for newbies, it seems to be overwhelming at first, but it comes. Part of it is figuring out your water, and it varies quite a bit around the country.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 04:26:02 pm »
I would urge every person who visits this site to go to www.rhtubs.com and get the Vermonter's guide to water treatment.  Even if you decide to do something different, this is the place to learn the basics.

Regards,

Bill

jetster

• Bublin Jetsetter
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 08:08:54 pm »
Drewster ,

My understanding is that the shock somehow kicks the laziness out of the silver ion cartridge. Let me know if Im wrong but thats what I was told.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 02:39:31 pm »
Drewster ,

My understanding is that the shock somehow kicks the laziness out of the silver ion cartridge. Let me know if Im wrong but thats what I was told.

No what the shock does is revitalize the sanitizer.  If you use dichlor what happens is that the chlorine becomes combined with the contaminants that are in the water.  Over the course of several days there will be a combined chlorine number and a free chlorine number.  Combined chlorine is not effective.  By shocking it will free up the combined chlorine so that it becomes free and effective again.  

One advantage of bromine is that it is still effective when combined and the need to shock is not a requirement.

Regards,

Bill

Soakin

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005, 03:28:55 pm »
I'm a little confused on the difference between di-chlor and MPS. Shock which I think is MPS and Di-chlor which I think is sanitizer? When to use them?

Sounds like it is time to go back to the dealer, and go over their recommendations once more. ;)  This can be overwhelming at first, but after awhile, it will all make sense.  As Bill suggested, Doc's (rhtubs.com) site has a wealth of info on chemicals, their uses, FAQ and the like.

"Shock" is a term used in a variety of ways when talking about water maintenance, but it generally refers to adding a chemical to oxidize organic materials and convert chloramines back to their active state.  That can be done with dichlor or MPS.  Dichlor can be used as both a sanitizer and shock, while MPS is only a shock and does not sanitize.

There are a couple of common routines for using dichlor and MPS.  One has you apply a small amount of sanitizer after each use and large dose of "shock" weekly -- but some use a large dose of sanitzer initially, followed by a small amount of MPS on a regular basis, prior to use .  One of the HS dealers here should be able to clarify the "Freshwater" version, if your dealer can't.

Regarding pH and alkalinity, they are closely linked.  In general, pH down products are sodium bisulfate (dry acid) and also reduce Total Alkalinity.  Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda) will raise both pH and TA, while sodium carbonate (soda ash) will raise only pH.

Hope this helps!

p.s.  FYI, according to the label on my MPS, you should wait 15 minutes after adding it before entering.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005, 03:28:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42