What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HS  (Read 5709 times)

shppn4spa

HS
« on: June 12, 2005, 08:42:31 am »
I would really like to get a quality spa for around $4,000.  I have looked at the Caspian, Bengal, Sumatra, and Sorrento.  You can see I have had to scale back on what I really like, however I'm not sure I can get a HS line as low as 4.  Am I thinking unrealistically that I can get even a Hot Spot that economical?  I realize the warranty is not as good as Tiger River or HS, but from my research and the postings here it appears to be a very well made spa.
Comments?

Hot Tub Forum

HS
« on: June 12, 2005, 08:42:31 am »

Rachel

• Four Winds Maverick I
Re: HS
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 10:11:12 am »
just fyi, we are in the same situation as you.... my husband didn't want to spend more then $4,000 on a spa.  We realize we will take a quality hit but for what we wanted one for we did not need the absolute best with all the bells and whistles.  We found a Four Winds Spa at a Dealer here locally who works directly with the manufacturer and the plus is that Four Winds is actually manufactured right here where we live so if we had any problems everything is local.  We put a deposit down on a Maverick I.  It retailed for about $8,000 but was on sale for about $4,000 something and we got them down to $4,000 exactly.  It's a 5 hp with over 40 jets and has a lounger and a waterfall (cute for the kids)..... not necessary but hey it came with it.

Good luck with your purchase. Hopefully we will be happy with ours and will let you all know.

P.s. originally we put a deposit on a Viking but after hearing bad things we pulled out of that....

Rachel

salesdvl

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 11:18:22 am »
My advice to you both would be to keep shopping.  If you are on a certain budget there are many brands out there that can hit your price and give you quality. Each model you mentioned is from just one manufacturer.  Keep looking and test soak as many as you can that are in your price range.   Imagine you are buying a car.  So far all you have done is looked at the Mercedes and have dropped down to the models that have no air cond and only an AM radio to get the price down.  You could get a nicely equipped Chevy for the same price and it would perform just as well.  Good luck
Measure once, cut twice.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 12:31:20 pm »
I wouldn't trust the dealer if they marked down a spa from 8K to 4K.  ???
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Rachel

• Four Winds Maverick I
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 12:33:30 pm »
They are a very large dealer. The retail was originally 8k but "I assume" that being so big they can have "specials" on certain makes and models. They work direct with the manufacturer who is right down the street from the dealer.

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 12:51:44 pm »
They are a very large dealer. The retail was originally 8k but "I assume" that being so big they can have "specials" on certain makes and models. They work direct with the manufacturer who is right down the street from the dealer.

Just keep researching and be an educated consumer.

I like the saying... Don’t believe anything you hear and only half that you see.

Back up all statements made to you by fact finding and research.

A hot topic on this board now is ethics. Some sales people are going to say anything to get the sale. Other sales people are very honest and committed to their profession.

Many spa dealers don’t list there prices so your negotiating skills will come into play with this purchase.

Also, make sure not only to research the spa but the dealer you’re buying it from. It's ok to pay a little more for good dealer support (IMHO).

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 02:40:01 pm »

Rachel, I don't think that is a safe assumption. All dealers work directly with the manufacturer - some have a couple hundred bucks of frieght added to the tub because we are not as close. A $4K drop in price is not a good thing. Either they inflated the regular price or you got a used tub/demo unit.

If the tub you chose was in your budget, and it works for you, then you did fine and I hope you'll enjoy your tub for many years to come.

But you didn't 'save' four thousand dollars.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 02:43:42 pm »
I would really like to get a quality spa for around $4,000.  I have looked at the Caspian, Bengal, Sumatran, and Sorrento.  You can see I have had to scale back on what I really like, however I'm not sure I can get a HS line as low as 4.  Am I thinking unrealistically that I can get even a Hot Spot that economical?  I realize the warranty is not as good as Tiger River or HS, but from my research and the postings here it appears to be a very well made spa.
Comments?
You may not get a HotSpring as low as four.

But the Sorrento is a fine unit - I am looking forward to having a larger showroom so I can start showing one (running) again. For the money, you really get a good, simple tub. Basic controls, basic jets, but big deep and dependable, economical to run, non-wood siding, same cover as a hot spring, large filter, and backed by the number one selling brand in the world. Shorter warranty, but very inexpensive parts if you need any after the coverage ends.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 02:47:36 pm »
You may check out CalSpas we have alot of molds, some the same as other manufacturers and we may have just what you are looking for.happy hunting!
-SpaMan~

Rachel

• Four Winds Maverick I
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2005, 04:16:58 pm »
Rachel, I don't think that is a safe assumption. All dealers work directly with the manufacturer - some have a couple hundred bucks of frieght added to the tub because we are not as close. A $4K drop in price is not a good thing. Either they inflated the regular price or you got a used tub/demo unit.

If the tub you chose was in your budget, and it works for you, then you did fine and I hope you'll enjoy your tub for many years to come.

But you didn't 'save' four thousand dollars.

I agree, we didn't save $4,000.  I'm sure it was a mark up like any retail does.  The tub was in our budget, we looked at a couple of others around the same price and felt for what we could afford to spend this one was the best. It's not a floor model or used.   I will come back once we have it installed and running and let you know how I like it.  I personally would have spent a lot more for the mercedes because I'm the "spender" but my husband is the conservative one that makes the $$ decisions.   I'm just the stay at home Mom ....hahaha.....

J._McD

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2005, 07:51:57 pm »

I agree, we didn't save $4,000.  I'm sure it was a mark up like any retail does.  The tub was in our budget, we looked at a couple of others around the same price and felt for what we could afford to spend this one was the best. It's not a floor model or used.   I will come back once we have it installed and running and let you know how I like it.  I personally would have spent a lot more for the mercedes because I'm the "spender" but my husband is the conservative one that makes the $$ decisions.   I'm just the stay at home Mom ....hahaha.....

I believe what others are trying to say is, that tub never ever sold for $8,000 and if you believe they marked it down to $4,000, as you say, "I'm sure it was a mark up like any retail does.", don't be so sure, the Hot Tub industry does NOT have mark ups anything close to what you imply.  To indicate so, is to imply to other new shoppers that they should be able to get a $9,000 tub for $4,500 or a $12,000 tub for $6,000.  You need to go shopping with your husband just one day and check this industry out.

Simply put, the dealer valued the tub at $4,000 and you have to realize that he made something on the sale unless you think he sold it for less than he paid for it.  

The important thing is it was within your expectation and you bought a $4,000 Hot Tub.  Unless they can show you a bill of sale where that tub was sold for $8,000, it wasn't an $8,000 tub, but saying that it was, convinced you that you were getting a great value.  Believe me, this industry does not make anything close to what you imply and it can mislead others who shop around. ::)

Maybe, just maybe, you got the deal of the century on a tub that just had to be sold.  If it turns out to be anything less than you expect, please come back and let us know.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 03:51:21 pm by J._McD »

Rachel

• Four Winds Maverick I
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2005, 08:00:38 pm »

I believe what others are trying to say is that tub never ever sold for $8,000 and if you believ they marked it down to $4,000, as you say, "I'm sure it was a mark up like any retail does.", the Hot Tub industy does NOT have mark up anything closed to what you imply.

Simply put, the dealer valued the tub at $4,000 and you have to realize that he made something on the sale unless you think he sold it for less than he paid for it.  

The important thing is it was within your expectation and you bought a $4,000 Hot Tub.  Unless they can show you a bill of sale where that tub was sold for $8,000, it wasn't an $8,000 tub, but saying that it was convinced you that you were getting a great value.  Believe me, this industry does not make anything close to what you imply.

Maybe, just maybe, you got the deal of the century on a tub that just had to be sold.  If it turns out to be anything less than you expect, please come back and let us know.

I guess I'm not getting my point across. The invoice on the outside was for over $4,000, close to $5,000... above it was a sign that said Retail  $8,000.  I'm sure it was incorrect as you have all told me..... so kindly.  What do I know?!  What I do know is we paid a price that we could afford and hopefully we enjoy it for a long time to come. ..that's what matters most right?

J._McD

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2005, 08:24:50 pm »
ABSOLUTELY, now put a bottle of wine in the fridge and find a few of those scented candles.   ;)

When is the tub coming. ???

Rachel

• Four Winds Maverick I
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2005, 08:32:07 pm »
Thank you J.McD. I tell ya I've had a bad headache since the hot tub search started. You see I wanted to buy one of the really good ones like a Sundance or Hotsprings but my hubby didn't want to spend more then $4,000.  I can understand as it is a luxury and we are just not in the position to go spending a whole lot more.  I just have been stressing over which tub to get for the price we could afford....not a huge selection really but the 3 we had narrowed down were Calspa, Viking and Four Winds.  We decided on the Four Winds.   We have a guy coming out to lengthen our deck and the tub will be here in 2-3 weeks.  From what the dealer said they are selling well so they take a little longer to get.  'Was he giving me a line?'  :)
I could use some champagne, candles and a nice hot tub soak right about now. I have 3 young children and I'm a stay at home Mom so things can get a little crazy. :)  I appreciate everyone's responses.

Sincerely,
Rachel

Rachel

• Four Winds Maverick I
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2005, 08:34:50 pm »
I would really like to get a quality spa for around $4,000.  I have looked at the Caspian, Bengal, Sumatra, and Sorrento.  You can see I have had to scale back on what I really like, however I'm not sure I can get a HS line as low as 4.  Am I thinking unrealistically that I can get even a Hot Spot that economical?  I realize the warranty is not as good as Tiger River or HS, but from my research and the postings here it appears to be a very well made spa.
Comments?

P.S. Sorry to hijack your thread! :)  :P ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2005, 08:34:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42