What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cold Storage  (Read 2276 times)

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
Cold Storage
« on: June 03, 2005, 09:05:15 am »
Hello all

I was wondering whether storing my chemicals out in the garage (non-heated) over the winter could negatively effect their effectiveness. I live in cold northern climate.

I used to store these chemicals in the kitchen, but for some reason (ok - the wife) insisted that they be removed to the garage. Basically, my bromine pucks seem to be dissolving at different rates - enough that I've had to keep my eye on it a little more closely lately.

Thanks in advance

Jc
How do you know how much you don't know?

Hot Tub Forum

Cold Storage
« on: June 03, 2005, 09:05:15 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Cold Storage
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 11:29:17 am »

I was wondering the same thing.  My thoughts are that anything liquid shouldn't be allowed to freeze, at minimal you'd have a split container and a mess, and maybe the chemical's effectiveness would be compromised by freezing solid.  It does get cold enough here to freeze things solid, even in a non heated garage.
I wouldn't worry as much about chemicals in powder or chunk (Brilliance sanitizer) freezing, since they're already solid.  
But that's just me.  I could be wrong, there's a first time for everything after all!   ;)

Brewman
Brewman

shabba34

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 11:36:26 am »
Hello all

I was wondering whether storing my chemicals out in the garage (non-heated) over the winter could negatively effect their effectiveness. I live in cold northern climate.

I used to store these chemicals in the kitchen, but for some reason (ok - the wife) insisted that they be removed to the garage. Basically, my bromine pucks seem to be dissolving at different rates - enough that I've had to keep my eye on it a little more closely lately.

Thanks in advance

Jc

Some chems in granular form are longer lasting if stored in a cool environment.  Liquids, not in freezing temps.  Best bet is to read the storage instructions that are on a lot of these chemical bottles just to be sure. ;)

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 01:41:51 pm »
I could be wrong, there's a first time for everything after all!   ;)

Brewman

I bet Mrs. Brewman could add up the times for us!

;) :-*  (Sorry, couldn't resist!)
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 02:18:02 pm »
Don't I know it!!
I'm sure she's been keeping score for the past couple decades.
Brewman
Brewman

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 03:04:14 pm »
I'm not sure about the cold, but you might consider using something other than bromine tablets.  They are usually slow death to any spa.  Very acidic and corrodes pump seals, heater elements, not to mention foams frequently and will usually help destroy the underside of your cover.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 03:04:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42