What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: SD Majesta vs HS Vanguard  (Read 5808 times)

Evergreen

SD Majesta vs HS Vanguard
« on: May 29, 2005, 09:44:03 am »
Based on previous posts, seems a decision between the SD Majesta and HS Vanguard would be a coin toss decision for the same price.  Any thoughts on that?

I'm in the Denver area and have been quoted $9000 for the HS spa and $8800 for the SD spa.  Both seem high so not ready to buy yet.  Both include:

Spa delivered & setup
Steps
Cover & Basic Lifter
Starter Chemicals
1Yr No Payment/Interest

Would appreciate any thoughts on the tubs and/or price.  Any negotiating tips?

Thanks ...    

Hot Tub Forum

SD Majesta vs HS Vanguard
« on: May 29, 2005, 09:44:03 am »

J._McD

Re: SD Majesta vs HS Vanguard
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 10:18:59 am »
What about the ozone? ???

Let's delineate the differences, jothers can help me out here:

Both are obviously very good manufacturers, good quality, reputable dealers, similar warranties, but:

SD has the air injector system, a nice feature (debateable but nice non the less) coupled with aroma therapy, one filter as opposed to multiple filters, filters down to 5 micron with disposable filter (less maintenence) different types of jets (fluidex) no moving parts to fail or require maintenence, stainless steel "eye glitter", smart electronics (debateable), LED back lighting (alternate style), substantially different synthetic cabinetry (IMO), you're in the "snow belt" so no frreze damage exclusion in the warranty, preferred ozone operations (higher gpm IMHO) vs. ?? chemicals = more maintenence.

Other than that, same hot water, same solid foam, same energy efficiency, same clean water, same meaningful result upon exiting the spa, both are a good choice.

Buying tip, have them include the ozone and write it up.  Or, look at the opposing point of view,.............(next)

The longer you debate, the longer you wait.  There is NO bad choice here

Evergreen

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 10:24:55 am »
The Ozone ... Both have it included.

Thanks for the thoughts.  One thing the HS folks tout is that their filtration system is 100%, i.e., "no-bypass".  So that all of the water being pumped goes through the filter.  

The SD folks indicate about 70% goes through the filtration and the other 30% bypass it and go straight to the pump.

Is there any real significance in the difference?

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 10:35:31 am »
Not familiar with the Majesta (it is too new) but I love my Vanguard!!

Have you considered wet testing?  You should!  It could be the deciding factor, without flipping a coin!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Evergreen

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 10:47:09 am »
Lori:  You're right, I need to do a wet test.  I have a neighbor who owns the HS, so I can hit him up for a test soak ... then do the SD at the showroom.

By the way, the Majesta is SD's newest spa and it looks like it falls in their line-up around the Cameo, but without a lounge seat and a little smaller.

J._McD

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 11:23:04 am »
The Ozone ... Both have it included.

Thanks for the thoughts.  One thing the HS folks tout is that their filtration system is 100%, i.e., "no-bypass".  So that all of the water being pumped goes through the filter.  

The SD folks indicate about 70% goes through the filtration and the other 30% bypass it and go straight to the pump.

Is there any real significance in the difference?

So what, I guess we all take a little point and make it big, but is that to say a SD is inferior in its concept of filtration, no.

What HS is saying is the performance pumps and the circulation pumps draw 100%  of the water through one of the multiple filters, thus 100% filtration, this is good.

SD has the circ pump and 1 performance pump pulling 100% of their water through the filter, while P2 does not.  Considering the the SD circ pump pulls 32 gpm, 24-7 and you can program the performance pump in comparison to HS circ pump of 5-6 gpm plus a "clean-up cycle" from the performance pump, IMO SD pulls more GPM through the filter.

So then again I ask, so what? ???

When your filters are dirty, they will obstruct water flow and lower performance putting strain on the pumps, the concept of "by-pass filters" was a coined phrase back in the 80's when you had a closed filter canister and when you put the pump on high performance, a "by-pass" spring opened to allow maximum pump pressure at the jet.  I beleive we are simply resurrecting an old buzz word

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 11:35:43 am »
Evergreen I can tell you as a SD Majesta owner, the spa is amazing! I have not been in the HS Vanguard so my view is probably bias however. The SD is a great spa for 4-5 adults to soak comfortably. It is listed as a 5-6 person spa but in my opinion 6 would be too many. Are the prices you were quoted with including tax or is that the retail price? If you have any questions on the Majesta let me know. We got in ours yesterday for the 1st time after our electrical work was completed!! Good luck with your decision.

Evergreen

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 12:18:45 pm »
Payton3485:  Prices don't include tax, so that will and about 4.5%.   :P

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 01:01:25 pm »
I would probably try to negotiate prices a little if you can. I know spa prices are regionally based so I am not sure if your quoted price is a "good deal" or not. We paid $7,995 without tax for ours. Ours include Bromine startup kit, spa cover, drink tray, ozonator and installation. We also were given the option of 12 months no interest payments. We did not need the steps or lifter as our spa is built within a second tier deck.

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005, 07:33:38 pm »
Evergreen, have you made a decision yet? I am sure no matter which way you go, you will be very pleased. Good luck deciding, that is the fun part  ;D.

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 10:30:36 am »
I would test soak to make the final decision.  Frankly, anyone on this board can tear apart Sundance and Hot Springs for weaknesses in filtration.  They both clean the water great.  Just remember to test soak in each seat for a good period of time.  Make sure they set the temp to around 100 so you can still think clearly and enjoy soaking for 10 - 30 minutes without getting too tired.

J._McD

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 11:31:08 am »
I would test soak to make the final decision.  Frankly, anyone on this board can tear apart Sundance and Hot Springs for weaknesses in filtration.  They both clean the water great.  Just remember to test soak in each seat for a good period of time.  Make sure they set the temp to around 100 so you can still think clearly and enjoy soaking for 10 - 30 minutes without getting too tired.

I would not consider, what is different between the two to be considered a weakness, nor a strength, in one or the other.  :-/

Both filtration systems do exactly what they are designed and intended to do, filter the water clean.  That becomes a matter of gpm and how much dirt you put in the water.  The gpm is a matter of capacity, the dirt, well that's quantity which will require more or less capacity. ;D ;D

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 11:38:19 am »
one filter as opposed to multiple filters, filters down to 5 micron with disposable filter (less maintenence)

Alot of people have said really nice things about the Tri-X filters from HS.  You have more than 1 which gives you no single point of failure.  The Tri-X gives you more filter square footage (which for filter geeks is a good thing), and the tri-x are advertised as lasting 7-10 years and can be cleaned with a rinse through your dishwasher. That, to me, is less maintenance than having to buy a new filter the 2-4 times a year you change your water.

Big cost? probably not. Probably, what, an extra $30 a water change, but different people have different definitions of "high maintenance" and they should compare all aspects.

-Ed

alwaysperky

• Hail the flashlight king!
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 11:07:22 pm »
Could I interject with a question?  When I spoke to the HS dealer last weekend, they were selling one feature in particular which was that it would cost less per month to operate.  They even stated if it cost me more the $20 per month, any month, they'd buy it back from me.  (I failed to ask as what price they'd buy it)

Would that be a real consideration when comparing these two spas?

J._McD

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2005, 06:13:00 am »
Is that $20 a month for a 110 volt spa, or is it $240 volt spa? ???

I do not believe any 240 volt spa could honestly make that claim.  How do the establish how much it does cost you on a month to month basis, winter or summer, and is there any cost to you to evaluate the electrical consumption. ? ???  I think they come out a put a meter on the system, but are they going to leave it there for how long?

Monthly cost of operation has a direct correlation to volts x amps = watts and 1,000 watts is a kilowatt and that is what we pay for.

the largest electrical consumers in the operation of a spa are the cost of filtration run time + the cost of heating the water + the use of the hydro therapy functions of the spa.

The circ pump is efficient but it has to turn over the gpm to filter the water clean, solid foam hold the heat in but you still have to replace lost heat, and when you turn those pumps on high,  :-/

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2005, 06:13:00 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42