What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bromine vs. Chlorine again...  (Read 2391 times)

fletch49

Bromine vs. Chlorine again...
« on: May 31, 2005, 02:29:47 pm »
I realize that this topic is...well flogged, but it would seem that there are a few different opinions on it, so I would like to rehash the question, but from a different perspective.

I was under the impression that Sodium Dichlor was different than Bromine?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Sodium Dichlor not a  stabilized form of Chlorine; Soda Ash, Cyanuric acid added to a trichlor base giving you about 60% chlorine. I was under the impression that Bromine is NOT Dichlor, but a compound of bromine and chlorine consisting of a 60% bromine and an available chlorine level of about 30%? The title on my bromine bottle reads "1-bromo-3-chloro-5,5-dimethylhydantoin"

Am I wrong, or is Dichlor different than Bromine? With all this talk of Trichlor and Dichlor, it has me wondering what excatly I am using to sanitize my spa ???

Hot Tub Forum

Bromine vs. Chlorine again...
« on: May 31, 2005, 02:29:47 pm »

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
Re: Bromine vs. Chlorine again...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 03:37:32 pm »
Bromine and Dichlor are closely related chemicals know as halogens.  Chlorine is essentially pH neutral, bromine is quite acidic; Chlorine breaks down rapidly at high temperatures, bromine is tolerant of high temperatures such as in a spa; chlorine is not affected by UV from sunlight, bromine is broken down by UV very rapidly.  In another thread it was pointed out that because chlorine is more powerful, you use a lot less of it.  Because it breaks down at high temprature it does not have the same risk for toxicity that bromine has.  Dichlor is also less expensive.

Regards,

Bill

fletch49

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 08:44:04 am »
Thanks Bill.  

If I go with Dichlor, can I still use MPS as shock? I am interested in switching over, but I still have about a six month supply of MPS.

Where is MPS on the pH scale?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 08:59:32 am »
Thanks Bill.  

If I go with Dichlor, can I still use MPS as shock? I am interested in switching over, but I still have about a six month supply of MPS.

Where is MPS on the pH scale?

I use Dichlor and shock with MPS about every 2 weeks. Works well for me.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 09:30:19 am »
Yes I agree, MPS is fine for shock if using dichlor.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 09:30:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42