What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: positioning & electrical  (Read 2280 times)

Gman

positioning & electrical
« on: May 28, 2005, 07:01:14 am »
Next Friday I will be moving the tub (which was delivered this past Monday) from the deck to a patio on pavers.  My question is about the positioning and the electrical conection.  

I want to position the tub at the back of the patio, but want the controls facing front.  I think the electrical connections are in the front under the control panel? Can the electrical enter in the opposite side and run under the tub in a way that it can connect properly?

I do not want to have to dig up pavers or have an electical outlet in sight at the front of the tub...  (the tub is a Tiger River Caspian)

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

positioning & electrical
« on: May 28, 2005, 07:01:14 am »

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
Re: positioning & electrical
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 03:32:17 pm »
I don't know where the entrances are for the Tiger River spas (for Sundance Maxxus, they are on either side corner of the end where the controls are, for example).  But, as an electrical engineer and someone that knows something about construction, I'd advise again putting the spa on top of the power conduit/cable.  You never know when, down the road, ten years from now, moles or whatever, will chomp away at the cable and make you *have* to access that cable or replace it elsewhere.  [Of course, they be *dead* moles after the fact!]

Your options will be to move the spa to access the buried cable (bad) or abandon that buried cable, and run a new one 'somewhere else' to replace it.  Either isn't a good answer; if putting it somewhere else was good, you would have done so now.  :)

I'd run the original cable somehow so it's not obstructed by having a structure on top of it.  Now, you may last many years with no problems, but that's the conservative engineer in me saying leave possible access to it.  :)  Even putting it under the edge of a concrete slab/pad isn't too bad since you can jackhammer that up and replace it. Under the whole spa?  That's different, unless you are aware you may have to abandon the whole run.

Or am I all wet in this case?
--
Lee

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 04:24:23 pm »
The Caspian has a toe-kick area where it is easy to 'hide' a flexible conduit.

The entrance is under the door at any point.

:)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

txwillie

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 05:19:15 pm »
I oversized my slab and ran the electrical up through it on the side where the equipment and electrical is (and controls), basically the front of the spa. The electrical is run in sealtite flex inside a 2" sleeve, so the flex can be pulled out if needed.  Then I built a "portable deck". Basically a wood platform that sits on the concrete pad. It is about 20" high and about 3 ft X 6 ft and has steps on both ends. This sits in front of the equipment access and over where the electrical stubs up, so the electrical is concealed. You have to move this platform to get to the equipment, but how often is that? It weighs somewhere around 150 lbs and I can easily roll it over on it's side. Due to the size however it takes two people to pick it up and move it. You could add handrails or even a bench and still have it not too heavy to move.

txwlllie

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 05:19:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42