What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover lift  (Read 5833 times)

tkruel

• Master LSX
Cover lift
« on: May 26, 2005, 01:34:43 pm »
Does anyone use a cover lift?  My tub came with one but have not installed it yet.  Good, Bad, or ??

Hot Tub Forum

Cover lift
« on: May 26, 2005, 01:34:43 pm »

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
Re: Cover lift
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 01:38:51 pm »
I wouldn't own a tub without one!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

J._McD

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 01:44:26 pm »
I haven't delivered a hot tub without installing one in 10 years.  It's simple one hand off, one hand on.  Simple and easy for the wife and the kids.  Better than struggling with the other option of manhandling the cover.

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 01:54:37 pm »
'
Does anyone use a cover lift?

Absolutely. Not having a lifter becomes a pain in the a$$ not to mention the extra wear and tear.

This shouldn't even be an option.

Jc
How do you know how much you don't know?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 01:58:40 pm »
I wouldn't own a tub without one!!!

Yea, what she said.  Its especially great when you use the tub by your self.   When its 10 degees and snowing out it helps get you back in the house quicker without having to go through snow drifts.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 02:28:21 pm »
'

Absolutely. Not having a lifter becomes a pain in the a$$ not to mention the extra wear and tear.

This shouldn't even be an option.

Agreed.

Everyone once in a while I run into a new customer who's had their spa a week or two and decided to skip the lifter (probably thinking they were being offered an unnecessary item). Almost ALL realize by then that they made a mistake not getting one (unless its a tiny tub though even then its a must for me). They usually end up calling back to find out how much to get it and get it installed. The dealer will have to charge extra because now they have to send someone out especially to install rather than doing so during the delivery (or the customers ends up installing it themselves).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 02:43:17 pm »
when I was looking, I thought about skipping a lifter until the sales guy said ok then take this cover off by yourself.  It was so heavy and awkward, and then when you take it off, where do you put it.

I ordered one with my tub, I think it is a great investment.

tkruel

• Master LSX
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 02:50:37 pm »
So...how would you mount it if your hot tub is in a concrete slab??  through the sides of the skirt??

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 02:56:25 pm »
So...how would you mount it if your hot tub is in a concrete slab??  through the sides of the skirt??

Side of skirt is the most common, there are types that go under the tub and use the weight of the tub and 400 gallons of water to hold it in place.

I'm sure this isn't what you mean, but if I had a 2-3 person tub in a screened in room, I could see going without a cover lift, but with any bigger tub, there would be lots of days when you wouldn't use it because of the burden of messing with the cover.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 03:05:03 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 03:00:28 pm »
Said in my best Obi-Wan voice:

"Use the lift, Luke."  

Seriously, once you install it and use it, you'll have your answer.  

Brewman
Brewman

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 05:24:16 pm »
I debated but decided a lift was a must also.

There are different types and levels of quality of lifts so if you buy a lift make sure you get the one you want.

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 09:27:20 pm »
Most(?) lifters, when open, will leave part of the cover above the rim of the tub, blocking your view facing that side. Some hold the cover higher than others.

We picked out the tubed cover lifter, which even though is not the best and easiest out there, does allow the cover to sit lower.

Just pick the most undesirable view from the tub, and mount the cover to block that side.

popsicle

• 2005 HS Grandee
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2005, 10:22:27 pm »
Not be be the sole dissenting voice, but...
I am new to tubbing, having just received delivery of a HS Grandee about 2 months ago, without a cover lift system.  We have no trouble folding the cover over and sliding it off the tub without mechanical assistance.  We didn't get the cover lift because we couldn't find one that didn't leave the cover in a position that didn't obstruct the view into and/or out of the tub to the patio around the tub where people sit.

We love the tub.  Use it almost everyday.  The infatuation hasn't worn off.  If anything we love it more than any of us expected we would.  I may wish I had a cover lift when there's two feet of snow around the tub, but for now we like the flexibility of being able to easily remove the cover and get it out of the way.

Having said all that, if someone knows of a lift that somehow allows the cover to be lowered to a position where none of it sticks up past the top of the tub, I'd love to hear about it.

How's that for being wishy-washy?

J._McD

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2005, 10:44:02 pm »
considering the cover is two sections folding together that makes it ˝ the length of the spa in the direction the cover opens.  considering that most tubs are 37" to 38" high, you are always going to have some portion of the cover above the edge.

Some consider it a privacy barrier or a wind screen and place it approptriately.

The other option of course is to remove it and place it elsewhere during use.

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2005, 11:18:40 pm »
That is why we did not opt for the cover lift. Our spa will be recessed slightly in the deck so not sure if the lift would have worked anyhow. We also do not like the look of the cover sitting on the back of the spa. We just as easy take the cover off and place it to the side, away from our view. The cover lift does work very well though!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2005, 11:18:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42