What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Maintenance  (Read 2249 times)

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
Spa Maintenance
« on: May 26, 2005, 10:39:37 pm »
Question for all those Sundance 880 Series owners out there or owners in spas in general:

Can you give me a "Quick Reference" to what you have to do daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, etc... in maintaining your spa? Please also include how often to check the water, add chemicals, change water, and drain and refill the spa. I have a 2005 Sundance Majesta with an ozonator. I am using Bromine tablets as well. Thanks in advance. I am trying to make a chart for my wife and I and then have it laminated.

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Maintenance
« on: May 26, 2005, 10:39:37 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Spa Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 08:02:16 am »
I use a bromine floater, but it's the Brilliance brand of bromine.  Not sure if it's the same routine as the pucks, but here's what I do:

2 or 3 times a week I test the water, and adjust ph or alk if necessary.  

Once per week I add shock and metal control, and check the floater, refilling it when necessary.  
I'll add shock mid week if the spa is used more than usual.

That's about it.

Did your dealer not discuss water care when they brought your spa?

Brewman

« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 08:03:32 am by Brewman »
Brewman

J._McD

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 12:02:45 pm »
I will assume your spa came with an ozonator which should do a major portion of the work.  The day it stops workng in the future, you will know it within 24-48 hours.  

A residual contact killer of bacteria and viruses is necessary with a busy tub, however you water should appear crystal clean and have NO smell to it.  If this is the case, your need to add chemical sanitizers is reduced.  

The more chemical you add, the more you will "FEED" the ozonator something to react on.

No two tubs are used the same and there is no "written in stone" guideline to laminate for daily gidance, unless of course it is "checking on the spa" guidelines.

Sight, smell, test water.  If it is "sparkling clean, crystal clear, and has an invitation to drink" don't mess with it.

Sight = cloudy water = test water = heavy neutriants (body matter), oils, lotions (these are no no's) solution = floating zorbie = solution (ozone not working), need chemical sanitizer, or after heavy body load shock water with MPS

Sight = green cast = test for alkalinity

Smell = pH is off = test water, smell = gas off the water usually a signal that base properties are out of balance.

The more chemical you add, the more frequent you will change your water.  It would not be unusual to have "LONG TERM" water quality and clarity using ozone with di-chlor or bromine back up.

This is really a hands on learning experience and only one person should be involved initially to get it right first.  Too many cooks will ruin the stew.

Biggest problem, being anal.  Engineers, (I know your out there  ;D) look for specific analytical factual and immediate response to specific engineering specifications and standards.  Water dosen't work that way.  Adjustments will require patience and understanding.  They are not immediate or spontaeneous

When you experience a situation, bring it back to us.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 12:36:53 pm »
Isn't "smell" a condition of too much combined chlorine also? I don't know if combined bromine smells but the rule of thumb that I've always heard and read was if you can smell chlorine then you need to get rid of the combined chlorine - it is a condition of too little chlorine.

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 05:19:23 pm »
Thanks, they took a water sample yesterday so we are waiting to get the results. That will give us the information on how much of each chemical to add to the spa. Thanks for all the great advise guys! I will keep you posted.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 05:19:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42