What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HS Dealers is it a Floor Model or New?  (Read 10420 times)

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
HS Dealers is it a Floor Model or New?
« on: May 24, 2005, 09:25:45 pm »
My dealer (the only game in town, they own eight stores in my area) is very nice but is very high pressure sales. They wanted me to close the deal the day I walked in.

We went back and forth for many weeks as
I always make an informed decision so I needed a little time to research.

I purchased my 2005 Vanguard on Sunday but the District Sales Manager that I have always been dealing with tried telling me that the price he quoted me before was no longer good.

He said he could honor the price if I bought a color I was not interested in or bought a floor model of the 05 Vanguard (said it was never wet).

I said color was not open to negotiating but he could check to see if he had the floor model and I would think about it but I made it clear that I was not really interested in a floor model.

He came back and said that I was lucky that they had a NEW 05 vanguard in my color because a customer ordered it then changed to the Grandee at the last minute. I believe he made this up just to make sure I did not walk again.

So my question is how do I know they are delivering a NEW Factory tub. Do I look for special seals on the shrink wrap from the factory or is there no way to tell.

I know it’s awful I have to worry about this but these guys are the nicest guys you could meet but they tried to screw me on price from day one. $10,500 for vanguard and they would throw in a cover lift. That’s were I started with these guys till I started dealing with the District Manager who called me to T.O. the deal. I paid $9100 OTD with Fresh water III, Cover Cradel, Steps, Chem ect...

Hot Tub Forum

HS Dealers is it a Floor Model or New?
« on: May 24, 2005, 09:25:45 pm »

lynnette

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: HS Dealers is it a Floor Model or New?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 07:34:22 am »
Hi,  We went through a simular situation with our Hot Springs Dealer also.  We purchased the Tiger River Caspian floor model in July 04.  When it was delivered it was brand new, was still in wrappers (I thinks it was white plastic saying Watkins) They told me they over sold the floor model so we received a brand new Caspian.  Good Luck your going to love your spa, we are very happy with ours.  :) :)   Lynnette

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 08:18:15 am »
Thanks for the reply!

I am very excited!!! I have been wanting a hot tub for years.

This link to the HS web site shows a picture of delivery of a spa. It looks like factory wrapping.

http://www.hotspring.com/Spa_Notes_Hot_Tub/backyard_setting_up.html

I saw my dealer move in and out floor models before and they just use a clear shrink wrap that they put around the spa. So if it comes tightly wrapped with factory markings I will feel better.

I don’t really think this dealer will pull anything like that they are really a large operation; professionally run (they just are willing to overcharge if they can)

However, I must protect my interest.

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 08:19:30 am »
When I bought my Cameo there where two on the floor, one used for demo and a brand new one.  I was told I was buying the new one but when it was delivered there was water left in the bottom of the tub.  I knew it was the used one.  Bite my lip and accepted it and luckly never had much trouble out of it.  The only problem was the ozone icon did not come on.  Had them come out and work on it.  It comes on now but not real sure if it really works or not.  Pulled the hose off coming from the generator and can not smell any ozone.  We have a ozone meter at work.  I would like to bring it home and test it but we are not allowed to take it out of the plant.  Not worth getting fired for.  We use Ozone at work.  Works real good but we are using a high consentration.  Do not really think the amount used on the hot tub is really enough to do anything.  

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 08:48:39 am »
For the life of me, I will never understand the customers aversion to a "floor model". What difference does it make if it was wet or not? The warranty is not going into effect until the tub is delivered to your home. The dealer is going to put a new filter in it. If there is cosmetic damage to the cabinet you must be made aware of it at the time of the sale. If ther is no cosmetic damage, you'll never know if it was a floor model or not. There is going to be water in the botom of every spa delivered weather it was run in the store or not, since as far as I know, 99.9% of manufacturers wet test the spas at the factory and there is no way to get ALL of the water out. Please help me to learn here, what exactly is the perception shopers have about floor models?
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 09:35:18 am »
For the life of me, I will never understand the customers aversion to a "floor model". What difference does it make if it was wet or not? The warranty is not going into effect until the tub is delivered to your home. The dealer is going to put a new filter in it. If there is cosmetic damage to the cabinet you must be made aware of it at the time of the sale. If ther is no cosmetic damage, you'll never know if it was a floor model or not. There is going to be water in the botom of every spa delivered weather it was run in the store or not, since as far as I know, 99.9% of manufacturers wet test the spas at the factory and there is no way to get ALL of the water out. Please help me to learn here, what exactly is the perception shopers have about floor models?

I pay for new I want new.  As stated in my earlier post the dealer has less than desirable pricing tactics.

In fact I was told as soon as they put the spa on the floor they have to discount it another $1500 for being a floor model.

Well I now know that’s a bunch of crap.

So... sounds like you might be a dealer? Do you have an answer to my original question?

« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 09:40:39 am by drober30 »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 09:49:37 am »
The $9100 price was a good one.  The first price of 10,500 was ridiculous (unless you're in Canada).

If the spa is new in the wrapper, it will be obvious.  There will be white plastic shrink wrap around the spa with foam insulation sprayed on the corners to act as bumpers during shipping.  When the spa is unwrapped, it will have that unmistakable new spa smell!  There will be some water in the spa as they are all filled at the factory for testing.

A floor model is a new spa.  We discount them $100 simply because they are unwrapped and people have touched them and possibly sat in them.

Congratulations on your new spa.  Enjoy it for the next couple of decades!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 10:02:23 am »
The $9100 price was a good one.  The first price of 10,500 was ridiculous (unless you're in Canada).

If the spa is new in the wrapper, it will be obvious.  There will be white plastic shrink wrap around the spa with foam insulation sprayed on the corners to act as bumpers during shipping.  When the spa is unwrapped, it will have that unmistakable new spa smell!  There will be some water in the spa as they are all filled at the factory for testing.

A floor model is a new spa.  We discount them $100 simply because they are unwrapped and people have touched them and possibly sat in them.

Congratulations on your new spa.  Enjoy it for the next couple of decades!

Terminator

Thank you! You provided the information I was looking for.

Yeah... the $10,500 did not include tax either.

Feel sorry for the people that get gouged!

Forum Admin

• YaBB Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 10:09:27 am »
I bought a floor model because it had the exact options and color we wanted.  The dealer was quick to point out that it carried the same full warranty as if I ordered it. Turns out some of his sales people like to take things apart to demonstrate to customers.  I had a leaky valve going to the water falls. He said one of the sales people probably pinched an O ring when putting it back together. They came out that day and replaced it.

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 10:28:18 am »
I Think the point drober is making is, the dealer said it is new not a floor model, and that is what drober expects  to get.  Confidence in the dealer will be lowered greatly if non truths are told to a customer before the spa is delivered. My Envoy came wrapped in white shrink wrap when it was delivered. I think the wrap said Hot Springs on it.  Good luck!!

J._McD

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 10:35:35 am »
My dealer (the only game in town, they own eight stores in my area) is very nice but is very high pressure sales. They wanted me to close the deal the day I walked in.

We went back and forth for many weeks as
I always make an informed decision so I needed a little time to research.

I purchased my 2005 Vanguard on Sunday but the District Sales Manager that I have always been dealing with tried telling me that the price he quoted me before was no longer good.

He said he could honor the price if I bought a color I was not interested in or bought a floor model of the 05 Vanguard (said it was never wet).

I said color was not open to negotiating but he could check to see if he had the floor model and I would think about it but I made it clear that I was not really interested in a floor model.

He came back and said that I was lucky that they had a NEW 05 vanguard in my color because a customer ordered it then changed to the Grandee at the last minute. I believe he made this up just to make sure I did not walk again.

So my question is how do I know they are delivering a NEW Factory tub. Do I look for special seals on the shrink wrap from the factory or is there no way to tell.

I know it’s awful I have to worry about this but these guys are the nicest guys you could meet but they tried to screw me on price from day one. $10,500 for vanguard and they would throw in a cover lift. That’s were I started with these guys till I started dealing with the District Manager who called me to T.O. the deal. I paid $9100 OTD with Fresh water III, Cover Cradel, Steps, Chem ect...

First, I guess you need to know I am a dealer and you seem to have a chip on your shoulder about dealers.  I stand to benefit absolutely nothing in answering you question, and because you say you need to make informed decisions, I would suppose a dealers point of view would be important to you.

You say "they are the only game in town and they have 8 stores".  There is something not right with that statement.

They wanted to "close the day I walked in", that is what they are in business for.

You started with a salesman and ended up with the manager, going from $10,500 to $9,100, you don't trust them, and you put a deposit down on Saturday to purchase and now you want us to tell you how you can feel good about your decision.

Given all this time for your research, it does not seem you have developed a very good relationship with the dealer if you smell a rat here.

It also seems, you want the cheapest price possible, but need to know that you're not getting screwed, while it seems to me you have been haggeling for a number of weeks, have come to a decision, but fear being cheated.

If the spa is an '05, what difference does it make ??? it has a full warranty, it has been water tested, it is subject to your inspection, you must accept it and pay your balance, and then you will rely on this organization for all of your assistance and support which I am sure you will expect to be free.

The factory wrap will look like a factory wrap, if it is re-wrapped it willl look like a re-wrap.  This will NOT chage anything about the spa ONLY your preception of the spa.  When you buy a vehicle with 47 miles on the odometer, how does that change the car ???

I feel that you are an untrusting person and considering the amount of money involved, I do know how you feel.  But, it seems you don't trust these people, and maybe the feeling is mutual.  How do they feel about you? ???

We are all here to help, if we can, but I agree with Wisoki, what difference does it make, but you challenge him and suspect him to be a dealer.  How would you expect a spa shopper, buying their first spa to answer you question ???

My personal, dealer, feeling is that you have purchased a very good product, are very much concerned with this being the right decision, and you fear what looms in the future.  We are all very comfortable with your choice of selection, you have some reservations.  None of us know what looms in the future, but we would all be comfortable with your selection of choice.

NOW, relax and get ready to get into Hot Water, your gonna love it, and I think it's gonna relieve a lot of tension in your life.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 10:42:53 am »
I got to thinking about this a little bit more and wanted to add:

If the spa is brought out to you and it is unwrapped, that does not necessarily mean that it is not a new spa.  When we have 3 or 4 deliveries to do in a day, we will unwrap the spa at the warehouse.  We do this simply because we do not have anyplace to dispose of the wrapping while we are on site.  There is a tremendous amount of packing material on our spas and we can't just strap it on the trailer or we will be losing trash all up and down the highway.

Terminator

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 11:53:48 am »
Not once have I ever unwraped a spa on site. I have a dumpster at my show room, why would I transport trash? not one customer has ever said, "hey, this spa is unwraped, I don't think it's a new spa!" Be it a one spa day or a 4 spa day. New is new period, weather it has been used as a wet demo, dry demo or left in the warehouse in its wraper. So what people have sat in or "touched" it. If your dealer has half a brain it's going to be detailed before it's delivered. When you buy new you want new, and that's what you get, be it a wet demo, dry demo or out of stock.
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Off topic
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 12:18:54 pm »
Wow. I have to give that some thought. Unwrap the tub at the warehouse.

No, I would be scared to death that my guys would scratch the life out of it as they go into the yard. With the price of land here in CA, sideyards are narrow. With the fact that this is actually an irrigated desert, thorny bushes are very popular. Put those together, and you understand why we leave the tubs unwrapped until they land.

BTW - the HS wrapping comes off like this:
First look for three or four labels, one close to the center of each side. They should have the serial number of the spa on them. One or two may blow off or fold up if they go down the road on an open trailer.

The outside layer of shrink wrap is clear, and you can seen through to a layer of white paper with the HotSpring logos in blue and some of the product statments, like: "best backed spa" or "underwater symphony," etc.

Directly behind that is a layer of cardboard.

The top of the tub should have a large, one-piece sheet of heavy, white plastic, covered with more of the clear shrink wrap.

Finally, on the inside should be another single sheet of clear plastic over the top, but this shett is far thinner than the white one.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 12:41:50 pm »
I also have a price for those who take models off my floor, which I do not display. If the customer is interested in negotiating the price, that is the only option they have. Take the floor model at a slightly better price, or pay the higher price and have one made to order.

So, are they all the same price or not?

Terminator

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 12:41:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42