What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bullfrog review....sort of....  (Read 5341 times)

fatman

Bullfrog review....sort of....
« on: May 21, 2005, 08:01:16 pm »
When I called my local Bullfrog dealer to find out  if he had new Bullfrogs in he said he had a 2005 451 and a 562 that had just arrived this week. So I make the drive. It's a pool and spa place and by the looks of things the emphasis is on pools.  The dealer neglected to tell me on the phone that the tubs were not filled or even hooked up to electric service yet. Strike 1. The dealer was nice enough and there was no sales pressure whatsoever. Anybody who knows anything about Bullfrog knows that the company gives lots of attention to the "JetPak" system so that's what I looked at first. They offer an easy hookup with 2" pvc pipe on either side of the JetPak. The two ends mate with the JetPak and then thread together. Their is also a smaller 1" air hose that needs to be connected. The JetPaks are held firmly in place and there was no slippage that I could see between the shell and the JetPak itself. As Bullfrog claims, most of the plumbing is on the JetPak, Is it everything it's cracked up to be? Maybe, maybe not. It would have helped greatly if the tub had been filled but I noticed something on the Bullfrog website and in their brochure that is something of a contradiction. Bullfrog  claims to have 90% less plumbing than conventional tubs resulting in less friction, creating  stronger water  flow. But if you look at the plumbing on the JetPak the water flows in from the 2"pvc pipe directly into a manifold. From the manifold turns 90 degrees into a 1/2" hose(s) and then another 90 degree turn into the jet(s). Hummm.... Every JetPak has a plastic clip at the top holding it in place and a pillow on top of the clip. The motor/pump area is very simple due to there only being a single 2" pipe that is routed around the inside of the shell feeding the seats. Bullfrog uses 56 frame Aquaflow motors and Balboa controls. You can't see beyond the motor compartment because of the full foam. The shell is three layers consisting of Layer 1- Acrylic, Layer 2-ABS and Layer 3 "Rigidizer" Brochure states that "Rigidizer" is 30 pound density. Strike 2 for me as I prefer fiberglass. Bullfrog doesn't use circ pumps. They state their water is circulated about 100 times per day and up to 263 times a day in some models. Bullfrog uses BOSE stereo systems.  Strike 3 happened when  the dealer told me that they don't deliver. It's his way of cutting costs. Prices ranged from $4470 for a 331 to $7155 for a 682. Even though I have ruled Bullfrog(and the dealer!) out, I do think Bullfrog has a unique thing going with their plumbing system. With only one 2" pipe running through the tub they are all but guaranteed no leaks. While I was at the dealers I spoke seperately with two repair techs concerning full foam vs. tp. One liked ff because he said it was easy to find leaks and then refoam after repair. The other didn't care for ff at all because "it can be like trying to find a leak in your roof, the actual leak may be at the peak but the only place you can see the water is down by the gutter".  So the ff vs. tp debate rolls right along.  Maybe sometime I will take another look at Bullfrog. They are made in Utah and have been around for 6 years. I am sure that their JetPak system and plumbing will appeal to a lot of people but I am going to look elsewhere.

Hot Tub Forum

Bullfrog review....sort of....
« on: May 21, 2005, 08:01:16 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Bullfrog review....sort of....
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 01:42:53 am »
Nice job.....not many here have much experience it seems with Bull frog .....You bring up something that applies to all spas ....Horse power and jets mean nothing if the spa is not plumbed properly and restricting water with 90 degree elbows is one way to lose flow ....Thanks for taking notice and pointing it out ....

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 09:04:36 am »
Strike 3 happened when  the dealer told me that they don't deliver.

Don't deliver...? Wouldn't that substantially reduce your potential for over-all sales?

I had just assumed that all dealers would deliver (within an accepted distance of course).

Do any of you other dealers not deliver? Personally, it would be enough for me to move on to the next brand.

Jc
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 09:18:02 am by JcDenton »
How do you know how much you don't know?

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 10:52:46 am »
Great review fatman. Some interesting points.

So by not offering a delivery service, did he say he was cutting costs or cutting revenue? ;)

If the company itself doesn't provide this service, it should be subcontracted out and arranged for you just like it was him doing it.

Do they offer after sales service? Now there's COST!

Steve

fatman

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 08:15:24 am »
Like all of you, I was taken aback when the dealer told me they don't deliver. He did say it was his way of cutting costs. It's beyond me how your average family would deal with this. My guess is they would go elsewhere. It seems like you would have to be a hardcore Bullfrog fan to take delivery chores upon yourself.  I don't think too many people would show up at the dealers with a rented flatbed or Ryder truck and happlily install their own hot tub.  This was a first for me. Usually dealers brag up their own brand and bash other brands to some extent. I consider that to be par for the course. No delivery service is unheard of....until now.

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 10:37:14 am »
That is very strange, cause the Bullfrog dealer in Billings will deliver of course it's figured in to the cost of the tub 331 is 5150 standard jetpack. Still unsure of the Bullfrog myself I'm debuting, we will see when I get in the darn thing as to whether I like it or not, oh btw in a post earlier I had wrote that the bullfrog dealer had phoned and said he had just gotten the 331 in but, they apprently just sold it (gee imagine that) and wouldn't be able to get another on in so my wet test....is in a 451 now tell me how I'm suppose to get the experience in the WRONG tub????? I might be forced to cancel the whole damn "wet test!" on all of them!!!! the only one who "has" the tub I'm interested in is Hot springs but, I'm not to happy with them either cause they also sell Caldera spas, when we innitially looked at the Jetsetter I noticed he had a 2-3 person Caldera spa..but geee he doesn't want to show it to me cause "you don't want that one it's not as good as the "moto massage" jet in the Hot springs spa, and with your back ailements your gonna love it" quote. This has just gotten more frustrating with every single dealer not having the damn tub I want to look at!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 11:08:56 am »
If the company itself doesn't provide this service, it should be subcontracted out and arranged for you just like it was him doing it.

Steve

Subcontracted delivery!  Boy does that bring back bad memories. I suppose if you find a good contractor and can keep them.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 11:32:44 am »

Subcontracted delivery!  Boy does that bring back bad memories. I suppose if you find a good contractor and can keep them.

It can work well. I saw a spa on the top of a hill that made me scrath my head. The delivery guys said "no way" as would I since I value my life and back. Two crane companies both said "helicoptor only". Instead, a local spa subcontractor (all facets including deliveries)who has a good reputation took the job for $500 and with 6 guys they somehow lugged the spa up the hill and onto a deck (great view). I would have loved to have seen it but it would have been painful just to watch.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 03:23:50 pm »
Like all of you, I was taken aback when the dealer told me they don't deliver. He did say it was his way of cutting costs.

Bah.

He could pass the costs directly on to you by adding it to the purchase price of the tub. That seems to be a dealer to stay away from as what he is *really* saving is his own personal time in managing the relationship with the subcontractors.  I would infer that he could also be lazy in not wanting to manage his relationship with customers as well.

-Ed

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 04:13:30 pm »
Ed,

I agree with you.....sounds like someone who is not really committed to being a full service dealer but more of an order taker and than you are your own....not a bad gig for someone take smaller dollars up front...cut your costs and than leave the service after the sale to someone else.....good work if you can find it..... ;)

J._McD

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 05:59:50 pm »
I get the vision of a pool dealer who is looking to pick up some additional revenue selling hot tubs but dosen't have the time for the business of Hot Tubs.  Could be a problem when it comes time for service and his priority is pools.  Maybe not, I don't want to judge him, but it seems that he believes a lower price is all the incentive he needs to pick up a couple extra sales with out the committment to deliver.

Qestion  ??? is he open during the winter months ???

fatman

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 08:31:22 pm »
Have no idea if he has winter hours. When I was checking out the Bullfrogs I talked with who I believed to be the owner and two other guys in their early 20's. Guess they were repair techs/salesmen.  The owner said he used to carry Sundance but  they had too many problems with glue joints/connections so he dropped the line and didn't pick up a new hot tub product until Bullfrog approached him.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 08:31:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42