What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Stereo reception  (Read 6067 times)

tkruel

• Master LSX
Stereo reception
« on: May 20, 2005, 09:59:58 am »
We recently purchased the Masterspas LSX with a very nice Clarion stereo, but the reception is not good.  Being new to the Hot tub/stereo thing....does anyone have ideas to get better reception.
Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Stereo reception
« on: May 20, 2005, 09:59:58 am »

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
Re: Stereo reception
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 10:03:23 am »
The problem may just be a stereo antenna. You may need to extend the wire that they call the antenna to another part of the spa cabinet. It may be that simple. Or you can call your dealer for advise, they may have run up against this before. Good luck

hottubber... ;D

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 10:14:05 am »
How does it compare to another radio in the same vicinity? Probably worse?    Is it better on AM or FM? Most receivers use an internal antenna for AM and an external one for FM so a good AM reception might mean an antenna problem.  Having done a lot of electronic service (I've flown half way around the world to secure a loose connection) I'd also look at where the antenna plugs into the receiver. Even if it loos fine, unplug it and replug it back in.

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tkruel

• Master LSX
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 10:19:31 am »
It is much worse then the other radios in the same vicinity....thanks for the help.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 11:02:42 am »
Spas are not know for getting great radio reception so the absolute KEY is to get a better antenna. Go to Radio Shack and get a telescoping antenna (you probably have a simple one in it) and if possible run the antenna outside the spa and open it up. It should make a big difference.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Drifter

• Master Spa LS850 Owner!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 12:09:33 pm »
I'd look into buying an FM antenna boster. Don't buy one of those peices of crap from Radio shack. Go to Best Buy, or some other similar place and buy the Terk brand. They make the best ones for the price. The only problem will be powering it.  I'm not sure if they have a battery operated one or you could figure out how to plug one in near your tub. Good luck!

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 12:57:08 pm »
Also, make sure the stereo is not set to only pick up "Local" channels.  We had a customer complaint of poor reception and when we got there, the radio would not pick up any stations.  We took it off of local and it worked much better.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 01:04:49 pm »
I'd look into buying an FM antenna boster. Don't buy one of those peices of crap from Radio shack. Go to Best Buy, or some other similar place and buy the Terk brand. They make the best ones for the price. The only problem will be powering it.  I'm not sure if they have a battery operated one or you could figure out how to plug one in near your tub. Good luck!

I tried that once and it took the reception from a 1 to a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 but not what the owner was looking for still. I got a telescoping antenna and it took it to a 5 with the antennae inside the cabinet and when I put it outside the cabinet and ran it on the fence post (some owners would be fine with this others might not) it took it to about an 8 or 9.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 02:42:33 pm »
A couple of 8' CB whip antennas, folded down along side the spa sides would be very sporty look.  

Our spa radio does lock in on most of the channels I listen to, but once and a while one station tends to drift, not always, but occasionally.  Have not looked at the antenna yet, but that's not a bad idea.  Our spa is in our back yard, behind the house, sitting rather low on the lot.  

Brewman
Brewman

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 05:02:15 pm »
I was toying with the idea of getting the stereo with my spa.  I am glad that I did not get one now, it would have been a waste of 3500can.  

I am getting an outdoor wireless speaker system with transistor.  Sony makes a great new product and it is only 230 canadian.  

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 05:27:16 pm »
I don't think there are any major problems with radios or cd players in spas. They truly are are a nice feature to have, especially with a cd, you don't have to blast it to hear the sound over the noise from the pumps. With a remote radio, your neighbors will hear it as clear as you will when the pumps are on high. That may be a problem.
To each their own... ;D

good luck.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 05:29:11 pm by hottubber »

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 07:18:12 pm »
I would have to agree that if your spa is outside, the spa stereo may be a better way to go unless you can mount marine-like speakers just above the spa. For an indoor setup, I feel the spa stereo is a waste of $$$. I have a portable CD player/radio that I can turn up as loud as I want and enjoy the music  ::). The noise factor outside is certainly something that should be kept in mind. You don't want your neighbors making noise complaints while your soaking in your spa  :-/

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 07:36:32 pm »
It's funny.  I didn't get the stereo option.  I have a shower cd/radio that I have taken out with me to listen to.  I have found that I prefer to listen to the sounds of nature, instead of music, while in the spa!  To me, it is more relaxing, I can try and pick out the different bird calls, etc.  Sometimes the Blue Jays come down and squawk at me!  

Just another viewpoint!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

J._McD

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2005, 11:53:06 am »
Brewman, what about the air horns ??? ;D ;D

tkruel, we are all assuming your CD sounds great idicating only radio reception is the issue.  How did moving the antennae work for you? ???
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 11:53:59 am by J._McD »

tkruel

• Master LSX
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 06:09:05 am »
The CD sounds great...but have not gotten to messing with the antenna yet...I'll let you know.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 06:09:05 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42