What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Can you put a hot tub in a hole?  (Read 21415 times)

Loren

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Can you put a hot tub in a hole?
« on: May 19, 2005, 04:50:14 pm »
I couldn't find this in any old thread.... Is it possible to dig a hole to "lower" a hot tub?

Details - assume a five-person tub that is 36" high.  By digging a 30" hole (say with 6" of gravel), we could get the hot tub 24" down, so that only 12" was above ground, and easily deck around it.   I don't want to leave it at grade, because it will be too high with our existing fencing.

My concerns are:  (1) Drainage/groundwater - will the hole fill up with water and float the hot tub?  We have terrible (clay) soils in our yard.  (2)  Getting the tub into the hole...seems like we could use some rope/boards and lower it into the ground - kind of like a casket - but it might be a bit dangerous.

Anyone done this?  Anyone have any details/specs/plans for the hole?

Hot Tub Forum

Can you put a hot tub in a hole?
« on: May 19, 2005, 04:50:14 pm »

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
Re: Can you put a hot tub in a hole?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 05:38:11 pm »
To put it simply - Don't do it.  Without drainage all you'll have is a mudhole with a spa in it.  

Even with drainage you still won't be able to remove the excess water as fast as mother nature can deliver it.

BAD - BAD IDEA!

r100rs

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 06:28:13 pm »
Servicing will also be a problem.  Plus most tubs (regardless of "advertising") will allow critters in over time, and putting the bottom of the tub in a moist, muddy, underground place will probably just encourage that.

When you say "too high" for existing fencing, is this privacy fencing?  If so, another approach might be to add a trellis of some sort around the tub on the side of the fence to give you added privacy.

If you are putting a large tub on a deck make sure the deck is built to support the extra weight.  With larger tubs (5+people?) you may need todo a little extra work to support it.

Good Luck!

-Ed

Loren

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 07:56:27 pm »
The problem is that the neighborhood association won't allow us to put a trellis or anything else on top of the fencing, so going lower seemed like a possible solution.   There would no be any decking under the hot tub - just around it.

I guess the only viable solution is a custom in-ground solution - much more $....

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 08:03:59 pm »
If you are truly set on installing a spa into the ground, please make sure it is secured to the base that is is mounted on. This will prevent floating of the shell. Also, NEVER put a portable spa in a pit for all of the already mentioned possible problems. The only type of installation that is acceptable here is a built-in shell with remote equipment. Period!!
Don't try to reinvent the wheel.

hottubber...

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 08:48:38 pm »
The problem is that the neighborhood association won't allow us to put a trellis or anything else on top of the fencing, so going lower seemed like a possible solution.   There would no be any decking under the hot tub - just around it.

Do they allow gazebos?

Some brands of hot tubs offer a gazebo that actually mounts to the tub. (Sundance is one).

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 09:37:01 pm »
If they sayno to gazebos you can buy from a place like BJs orSam's Club an 8x10 or 10x10 collapsable structure.  Most only have "roofs" on them, but some models also have sides. If you put this around your tub you might have some privacy (andrespite from mosquitos if you live in a buggy area).

Maybe something like this:

???

-Ed

dino

• Tsar of the Empire!
That is exactly where my CAL SPA belongs!
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 09:55:18 am »
That is exactly where my CAL SPA belongs!

But seriously the optimum depth is so that the ground (deck/patio) is level woth the interior step surface that way as you get in and out your feet are level relative to each other.

nicker

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 11:28:22 am »
DO NOT DO THAT.  That is a terrible idea.  For one the hole would definetly fill with water (especially since you have glay).  Accessing the tub for any repairs would be a nightmare.   Dampness would take its toll on the cabinet etc., bugs bugs.  The idea is just not good at all.   If you want the tub to be sunk in pour a stable pad and build you deck around it to your suited height and keeping in mind access panels in the deck to get at the pumps etc.

I would also imagine doing this would void the warranty on the tub

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 11:29:17 am »
NOOO that's where my spatopis is suppose to be lol (of course we don't even know what kind of spatopia it's gonna be yet)

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 12:29:47 pm »
I know of someone that did do just that. He inset a tub into the ground about 26".  Now I must be clear about this he not only dug a hole but also a trench that tapped into the storm sewer and dug it below the frost line. That around here is up to 5' below grade. He then inserted a drainage pipe that was wrapped to prevent mud and earth from entering and backfilled it with 3/4" crushed stone with a further layer of dust and then patio blocks before he set the tub on it.

Now he owns a landscapping company that did this work for a home that is worth in the low millions. I asked him the cost and the reason why. The cost was a cool $6,500 for this part alone. His total contract was X10.  the reasone why - She wanted it.

Unless you are willing to go the full drainage route don't even think about doing this. Your tub will become a dingy floating in a tiny pond.

Loren

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 01:47:19 pm »
I know of someone that did do just that. He inset a tub into the ground about 26".  ....the cost was a cool $6,500 for this part alone...

That seems crazy to me - if they spent that much to get a "drainable" hole, why not just build a custom in-ground hot tub?  The cost is probably comparable.

I like the gazebo idea, although dino's point about the optimum depth (steps even with the ground) is important.  I just don't like having steps outside the hot tub - seems like too much work to climb up and climb down  :)

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 01:59:21 pm »
That seems crazy to me

I did'nt say it was intelligent. I said I know someone who got a contract (from someone who has way too much money) and had it done because that man was told by his wife to have it done.

obi wan

• you're just jealous the voices only talk to ME!
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 02:50:43 pm »
If they sayno to gazebos you can buy from a place like BJs orSam's Club an 8x10 or 10x10 collapsable structure.  Most only have "roofs" on them, but some models also have sides. If you put this around your tub you might have some privacy (andrespite from mosquitos if you live in a buggy area).

Maybe something like this:

???

-Ed

i went the free standing gazebo route my self, from home depot. 10' x10' steel trellis frame, canvas top, and even comes with mosquito netting. for privacy, on 2 sides that needed it for birthday suit tubbin', the wife added outdoor sheers with the existing netting. i will take some pics and try to post by this weekend.
fyi,.... the one i bought was only $200 and is relatively easy to put up, and take down. if you want to see pics now go to homedepot.com search gazebos and/or for sku #350 049. the sell out quickly when they have them though....
we wanted some privacy, and to see the stars on nice nights. (leave the canvas top off) with the top on, on cloudy or even light rainy nights we can still enjoy the tub, kinda the best of both worlds....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 02:50:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42