What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Another chem question  (Read 3028 times)

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
Another chem question
« on: May 15, 2005, 06:37:11 pm »
Have been using Bromine floater and shocking weekly with Renew. Have been pleased with water quality and longevity, but the majority seem to use chlorine. I am going to try the chlorine route next water change and see if I like it better.

As I understand, the most common method is a tablespoon or two of dichlor after each use and a weekly shock of MPS.

Main question is do you have to leave the cover open for a cycle after the post-use dose of dichlor to gas off  or just when using the MPS to shock?

I use the tub almost every night for 30-60 minutes. It would be a pain to have to go back out later to recover the tub.

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Another chem question
« on: May 15, 2005, 06:37:11 pm »

autoplay

Re: Another chem question
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 06:43:41 pm »
Only need to keep cover open to off-gas the shock/MPS.

GL :)

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 10:19:41 pm »
We leave the cover open 5-10 minutes afer every dose of dichlor and a full cycle when we shock.  We are using dichlor to shock as well instead of MPS.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 10:19:00 am »
I put in MPS before each use and shock weekly with dichlor.  I leave the spa open for about 30 minutes after shocking.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 10:45:58 am »
Lt Dan,

When you get on I-270 to go get your dichlor. Remember if you see this, your doing something wrong.

I thought maybe they might start putting SWAT teams on the offramps.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 01:08:20 pm »
Get the whole story on dichlore from the Vermonter.  Your understanding is not quite right.  Go to www.rhtubs.com.

Regards,

Bill

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 01:17:39 pm »
...As I understand, the most common method is a tablespoon or two of dichlor after each use and a weekly shock of MPS.

Main question is do you have to leave the cover open for a cycle after the post-use dose of dichlor to gas off  or just when using the MPS to shock?

LD,

I think you meant "teaspoons" instead of "tablespoons".  Depending upon tub volume, 1 tsp. of dichlor raises chlorine ppm between 1-1.5.  You want to raise the level to 3-5 ppm after soaking.

As for the cover, it is recommended to leave it open after adding dichlor as well as after shocking with MPS....your cover and your pocketbook will like you better for it though it is not necessary for any other reason of which I am aware.

BTW all, does bromine dissipating continuously by floater have detrimental, though I would imagine small, effect on the spa cover?  All opinions/facts welcomed.....
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 04:32:46 pm »
Lt Dan,

When you get on I-270 to go get your dichlor. Remember if you see this, your doing something wrong.

I thought maybe they might start putting SWAT teams on the offramps.

No kidding, it's just about getting to that isn't it! We are "wrong way" accident free in Gahanna, must be those outstanding Gahanna Police officers.......

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 05:13:17 pm »
You only need to remove your cover after shocking (weekly). Just increasing your chlorine levels with small amounts of dichlor will not produce enough "gas off" to require leaving the cover off.

~and that was without conferring with Vermonter first!~ ;D

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 05:13:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42