What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Microban revisited  (Read 9716 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Microban revisited
« on: May 12, 2005, 07:52:41 am »
I've been hearing lots of references to Microban from the home remodeling industry. I've heard of bathtubs and showers made with the stuff. If ever there was a place to say whether Microban was worth it or not, that would be it.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Microban revisited
« on: May 12, 2005, 07:52:41 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Microban revisited
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 08:14:32 am »
My opinion is this whole bacteria phobia thing is way overblown.  If we were that sensitive to these critters, the human race would have died out long ago.
I'm talking about all the anti bacteria soaps, cutting boards, counters, etc.... Just wash.
I've heard annecdotal evidence that children raised in such antiseptic environments are more prone to infections due to their lack of resistance from not being exposed to the relatively harmless bacteria we encounter daily.
The chemicals we use in our spas work as intended if used correctly.  
Brewman
Brewman

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 08:48:19 am »
Brew - that's absolutely right. All these antibacterial soaps and lotions are actually more harmful in the long run.

We simply do not eat enough dirt anymore.

Jc
How do you know how much you don't know?

fletch49

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 09:10:09 am »
There are studies out there that have shown children raised on farms have among the strongest immune systems. They say there is a direct correlation between exposure on the farm and heathly immune systems.

J._McD

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 09:28:47 am »
Microban belongs in the bathroom.

It's all about what people buy, or is it, what we can sell to people who didn't know they needed it until now, and then, you give them a good reason why they need it so they will recognize how lucky they have been to get this far without it, then it becomes obvious to them why they should have it even if they never needed it before.

I think it's called, mar-ket-ing si-kol-o-geee.  

It is absolutely amazing how predictable we are as human beings, but why it is so darn hard to sell spas to people who think you are there just to take there money and trick them into thinking what your selling is really better than the other one they looked at.  But then, there was that one with microban.

People used to come in thinking microban was really what the "salesman" said it was and they didn't need chemicals in there spa.  I found that utterly amazing.

txwillie

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 10:22:51 am »
Part of my job entails specifying plumbing fixtures. Microban is used in lots of acrylic shower enclosures, etc. What the manufacturers don't tell the consumer is that the anti-microbial affect of the microban is depleted in about 5 years.

txwillie

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 10:51:33 am »
Brew,

I agree with you, I avoid all the anti-bacteria cleaning products with one exception.   I do a lot of cooking with fresh raw chicken, pork and beef.  If I'm preparing something that requires extensive handling of those meats beyond opening a package and throwing it in a pot, I will wash with anti-bacterial soap. (The normal soap sits right beside it in the sink. )  

I was looking at mildew in my shower this morning and thought if Microban could stop that, then they have something.

TXWi - I was wondering about that.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 10:52:44 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

txwillie

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 11:13:20 am »
I went to the microban website. FAQ's say it's anti-microbial properties last "the useful lifetime of the fixture". That is NOT what the plumbing fixture manufacturers say. Sloan (flush valves) offers a microban coating option for the handles. Their literature says the handles should be replaced every 5 years to maintain the effectiveness of the microban coating. BTW, I've never seen a microban coated flushometer handle anywhere, it's just hokey. Aquarius, Aqua Glass, etc. (shower manufacturers) say the same thing.

txwillie

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 08:13:26 am »
Well I disagree with some of you here.  In my line of work, I use antibacterial solution every day.  It has a high alcohol concentration and kills of or atleast gives me a sense of belief that it is killing off the critters that I come into contact with.

I deal with people in my area of patrol with Hep C, HIV, TB, believe it or not even scabies runs rampit in my area.  I am forced to come into contact with these people and I always carry a tube of anti bacteria lotion.  In fact in Hamilton Ontario where I live, you are required to squirt and wipe your hands when you step into any hospital.  

Now last week I was involved in an incident and got spit in the eye by and HIV, Hep C person.  I instantly stressed out.  I ran into the drug store, where I was and got an eye wash kit.  I also wiped anti bacterial around my face.  

When I went to the hospital to get tested the doctor said HIV no worries with spit but Hep C a little more of a concern.  So every other month for the next year, I have to go get tested.

See why I am so obsessed with anti bacteria.  Always be careful, and honestly its better than doing nothing.  People on the farm most likely have better immune systems because they dont interact in the big city where gross critters have time to flourish.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 08:33:01 am »
Anti Bacterial products protect against bacteria- not viruses.  HIV is a virus, so microban, or anti bacterial soap would be innefective against it (too bad it's not that simple).  Not sure about Hep. C, TB, or scabies.
If they are bacterial then your solutions may help.
Plus you are in an occupation that clearly puts you at a much higher risk than the general population.  My opinion stands for the general household stuff.  
People in the medical profession, lab techs, police officers, etc..  are in a different category.
Brewman
Brewman

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2005, 09:11:15 am »
I realize the difference, but if you can get blood, spit and so on off quickly using a strong cleaning agent, it helps reduce the risk of absorbing into the body.  I didnt mean to claim that anti bacterial products prevent disease but it sure it nice to know when you dont have the option of washing right then and there, you do have a product that is very strong and sanitary.

I get blood on me quite often as does EMS (ambulance) people and we all use this stuff likes its going out of style.  I just think maybe it provides an immediate opportunity to wipe yourself down and clean your skin with.

I use anti bacterial to clean the kitchen and especially now with a child, I am hypersensitive to germs and bacteria growth in the house.  I strongly support the uses of the products.  My artic tub shell is "Formulated with Microban antibacterial finish".  I also have ordered the microban filters.  

moviebuff2

Re: Microban revisited usinging these rpoducts
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2005, 02:58:20 pm »
It's a no-brainer that those who come in contact with blood should be using antibacterial agents to protect themselves...but using anti-bacterial soaps in a healthy home environment?  Come on!!  That's marketing, not science.  

http://www.tufts.edu/med/apua/Pubs/Articles/EID6_01.pdf

This link takes you to a paper from Tufts University -- please take a peek at the short, one paragraph introduction cautioning AGAINST anti-bacterial products in the home.

I will not EVER expose my young children to antibacterial products unless there's a good reason to do so (after visiting the the petting zoo, for instance, when soap and water isn't readily available).  

I am afraid of the monster, antibiotic resistent bugs we'll all have to live with in the future after all the MARKETING motivated use of antibacterial agents.

I would never consider a spa with microban... and we use Ivory soap in my house  :)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2005, 03:55:50 pm »
I'd like to relate a true life experience relating to what moviebuff2 just said.

My daughter has cystic fibrosis, and as a result, is prone to chronic lung infections (bacterial).  She is on a daily regimin of very strong (read: $$$$$$$$$$) antibiotics which we administer intravenously.  Her doctor has to constantly rotate these antibiotics to avoid the bacteria growing resistant to them.  Over the past decade or so, we've gone from relativley mild oral antibiotics, to very strong IV antibiotics.  So the resistance thing is very real.

I also strongly believe that doctors who prescribe these meds for virus' (i.e. common colds) is also aggravating this problem.  Believe me when I tell you that the power and cost of these medicines go very hand in hand.
Brewman
Brewman

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2005, 04:08:08 pm »
wow good article.  Something to lear here.  Thanks for the input.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2005, 04:26:07 pm »
Brewman,

Sorry to hear about your daughter! You are absolutely correct AND the pharmaceutical companies have to develop stronger ones all the time.

Although I do use antibacterial soaps for skin washing, I read somewhere they do not work on inanimate objects (counters and such) I don't remember why though. Also there needs to be a contact time with the soap in order for it to work - 15 seconds at least. There is also a correct way to wash your hands and most people ignore this (I do too unless I touch a messy piece of medical equipment). Next time you wash your hands count how long you do - I bet most people wash for only 5 seconds or so.

For all of you out there that want a TRUELY disinfected counter or anything, the best solution is household bleach! Put it into a spray bottle of 1 part bleach and 9 parts water. Let it sit on the surface for 10 minutes, then wipe it off. There isn't anything that can survive that amount of chlorine for that amount of time, this is what wer're told in a hospital setting.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2005, 04:26:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42