What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Microban revisited  (Read 9715 times)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Microban revisited
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2005, 12:23:28 am »
Thanks, Vinny.  She's doing quite well with managing her medical issues.  Thank goodness we have good insurance, though!

In my beermaking I often use chlorine bleach as a sanitizer.  If I recall, only 2 or 3 tablespoons mixed in 5 gallons of water is effective.  Powerful stuff indeed.
Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2005, 12:23:28 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2005, 03:05:31 am »
Their literature says the handles should be replaced every 5 years to maintain the effectiveness of the microban coating. BTW, I've never seen a microban coated flushometer handle anywhere,
txwillie

OK willie, rather than a coated flushometer handle, just set your customers up with infared so they don't have to touch nothin but there willy. ;)
Retired

jss944

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2005, 02:08:04 pm »
Plus, people don't leave the antibacterial soaps and such on long enough to kill all of the bacteria so it mutates and gets stronger!  I don't use them either!!  I am a nurse and use them in the Hospital setting but will not in my home.  there is such a germphobia!!

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2005, 08:21:25 pm »
Government watchdogs do not allow Lucite (one of two manufacturers's of acrylic sheets that supply spa manufacturers) to make any claims regarding the effectiveness of MicroBan in there acrylic products.

This is because there is no clinical evidence to support a claim that acrylic with microban will stop bacteria in a spa any more effectively than acrylic that hasd not been treated with MicroBan.

This however does not stop salepersons working for retailers from making these claims or inuendos. Too bad.

Acrylic is not pourus. So why bother mixing it with an anti bacterial agent?

This link has some info. It is from Lucites competitor so take it with a grain of salt:

http://www.aristechacrylic.com/spas/index.html

On the right, click on Q &A about MicroBan
HTM
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 08:22:15 pm by HotTubMan »
Homeworks Financing Representative

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2005, 10:40:36 pm »
If anything, would having something like microban make some people a bit less lax in their sanitation routine?
"I don't have to worry so much about that pesky (insert favorite sanitize routine here) since my microban will keep the critters at bay".
Just a thought.
Brewman
Brewman

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2005, 12:34:15 am »
Brewman,

I think that only perhaps if someone was really oversold on it.....could that thought ever cross someones mind....we only mention it when we are asked and our answer is it is highly debatable if it has any real benefit regarding Bactria growth ....but one thing for sure, is it makes the colors richer in those that that use it....
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 01:52:47 am by Mendocino101 »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2005, 08:50:28 am »
I agree with Mendo, they would have to be really oversold on the concept.  If I remember right, my dealer said it might help inhibit bacteria growth on the surface of the tub, which might help keep the waterline and just above the waterline cleaner. I know he didn't represent it as doing anything with the water.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2005, 11:44:26 am »
Bill,

Above the water line is the only thing  I have heard where it "may" in fact help with bacteria growth ... I am not sure of how much of a real issue this is .... but if it does aid that would be where ....

J._McD

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2005, 01:03:51 pm »
"Microban" is a chemical that is impregnated into the acrylic during manufacturing process and is commonly used in other forms of plastics.  The concept of "microban" is to inhibit the attachment of bacteria.

In the words of "Microbans" General Counsel, "microban additives....protected the product rather than the user.  Similarly, the claims of ****** **** state specifically that they protect the spa(i.e. the product), not the users of the spa."

Although, this is not the way the salesman told the story and thus, it has created substantial confusion evident in this thread on what in fact it really does do.

The EPA is a controlling government body that has infulence over how these things are stated in promotional materials and marketing.  It was the EPA that did in fact cause one spa manufacturer to redo all of it's promotional materials and levied a fine against them.  

The outlandish claims regarding this specific concept have since diminished if not completely discontinued.

But, the confusion remains based on such incorrect and misleading claims.

Remember, it protects the product, NOT the user.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 01:05:43 pm by J._McD »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2005, 02:18:51 pm »
Though our product has Microban acrylic, I do not promote it as I believe talking about bacteria in a sales presentation is a poor choice.

Not only are consumers confused through the sales proccess as it is, but now we throw in the mix the health issues that a hot tub contains bacteria and they're wondering if they really want one at all... :-/

Address their concerns and show them properly how to care for the water and filtration and help them eliminate the concern before it happens.

Steve
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 02:19:56 pm by Steve »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2005, 02:18:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42