What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Update on my Houseguests AND Filter Cleaning  (Read 1778 times)

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
Update on my Houseguests AND Filter Cleaning
« on: May 16, 2005, 10:13:26 am »
Hi All:

Thought I'd spend a few minutes telling ya'll about my houseguest adventures. As everyone knows, I now have a family of 6 staying with me for about a month. 4 kids (3, 5, 9 and 11) are REALLY testing my knowledge of water chemistry.

On top of this, I've been having a few parties lately (the last one was the Richmond NASCAR race on Saturday might), with plenty of use. My water was so bad yesterday (3 week old water) I couldn't recover it without serious chems, so I drained and re-filled. Also, the N2 isn't working worth a darn with all the water in and out, so no more N2.

On the BRIGHT side, I accidently "discovered" something yesterday. The 5 year old boy always has to "hang" with me when I do stuff, so he wanted to "help" when I was cleaning my filters. About 5 minutes into getting both of us wet, he took the hose from the wet vac that I had used to help drain the tub and pushed it into the bottom of one of my filters.

Now, being the inventive type, that suddenly gave me an idea. I reversed the vac to "blow," added a reducing nozle, stuck the end up the open end of the filter and turned the vac on.

Holy billion bubbles Batman! I use a filter cleaning solution and hose for the filters normally. The air coming from the vac caused the cleaning solution to foam and, combined with the hose, it REALLY got a lot of stuff out from the filter.  I put the filter on the ground, hole side up, stuck the nozle in, turned the vac on and then used the hose to wash the filter while air was being blown out of it. Putting the filter hole side up traps it against the ground allowing air pressure to build and helping dirt and gunk to come out.

I'm going to "play" around with this a little more and see if I can perfect a "technique."  Leave it to a 5 year old to give you ideas....

Peace and hot water...

Drewski

8)  
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Hot Tub Forum

Update on my Houseguests AND Filter Cleaning
« on: May 16, 2005, 10:13:26 am »

txwillie

Re: Update on my Houseguests AND Filter Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 11:15:04 am »
I made an adapter to connect my hose directly to the 2" MPT connection on the filter. My filters have closed tops, so this allows me to turn the water on full and backwash the filters to get all the cleaner out. Does a good job at getting the crud out of the pleats as well.

txwillie

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Update on my Houseguests AND Filter Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 11:15:04 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42