What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: question for Sundance dealer/used tub  (Read 2089 times)

moviebuff2

question for Sundance dealer/used tub
« on: May 14, 2005, 12:21:34 am »
The cost of my spa project is getting somewhat daunting... the electrition came out today and quoted $1,200 to hook up the electricity (I'll get another quote, but I suspect this is in the ballpark)... I need to have my fence redone (it's starting to fall down, plus I'll need some major privacy before I get the spa... so there's another $1,500 or so.  

For the fun of it, I decided to check out used spas on Craigslist and found a 2004 Altimar (from the wet testing I've done so far, the Altimar is my clear favorite).

QUESTION #1: If I buy this one year old spa, can the warranty be transferred to me?

QUESTION #2: I saw a WTBHT posting awhile back advising that if you buy used, don't pay more than 50% of the original price and if you can't get a deal like that, skip it and buy new.  Is this a good rule to go by?  Did 2004 Altimars go for about $7,000 - $7,500?

QUESTION #3: If you buy used, can you expect to be treated well by the dealer (answering questions, etc.) assuming that you BUY CHEMS from that dealer... or do you need to have given the dealer the big purchase of the tub itself to rate top notch service?   I'm sure this varies from dealer to dealer, but I'll be interested in your comments.

When I began researching this purchase, it never dawned on my to look at used tubs... but this option would allow me to get into a high quality tub many (many) months ahead of schedule and wouldn't put such a strain finances.

Thanks for any and all advice --

Nancy

Hot Tub Forum

question for Sundance dealer/used tub
« on: May 14, 2005, 12:21:34 am »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Re: question for Sundance dealer/used tub
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 01:09:56 am »
I believe the only manufacturer that transfers their  warrantee is Marquis.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

J._McD

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 09:17:20 am »
Question # 1, the answer unfortunately is no.

Question # 2, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  A 2004 tub will not need a new cover, but will should get new filters and teh fact there is no warranty I would think $5000 to $5500 should be a good price.

Question #3, the dealer should treat you with the utmost respect, I would assume he sold the tub originally.  If you supply him with the name of the previous owner or the serial number, he can identify the service records and inform you of any service that has been rendered to the tub.  Not a bad idea to check that our even before buying the tub.

With all that is said about dealers, they are very interested in this industry growing.  You have friends, neighbors, family and business associates that you can refer to his business.  Go in and troduce yourself to him and ask these same questions.

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 10:38:16 am »
Your warrantee issue is definately a no. Unless the dealer will cover your remaining years with an in- house warrantee, the manufacturer will not.
Marquis Spas does have a transferable warrantee, but I think you need to purchase it from the original homeowner. I may be wrong, just my thought.
As far as the dealer treating you as if you bought the spa directly from them. Any dealer appreciates customers coming through their door regardless of how much they spend. It costs alot of money to get a customer to buy from you, it takes even more to keep them. I would do all I could to respect every customer that we have.

hottubber... ;D

moviebuff2

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 08:00:25 pm »
Thanks for the practical advice -- the answer about the warranty isn't, of course, what I wanted to hear, but oh well!!

Nancy

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 08:00:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42