What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Too much foam  (Read 3220 times)

jeffn49

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Too much foam
« on: May 04, 2005, 08:43:37 pm »
I can't seem to keep the foam under control.  The tub is a D-1 Diplomat with ultrapure water management systems and a vision cartridge. Water temp is kept at 102.  It's used under an hour a day.  The alkalinity and ph are in the low but acceptable range.  I add 1tbs of shock out (potassium monopersulfate) after every use.  But after a few days there's noticeable foam.  It starting to smell swampy.  I don't want to over react chemically.  Any suggestions are welcome.

Hot Tub Forum

Too much foam
« on: May 04, 2005, 08:43:37 pm »

nicker

Re: Too much foam
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 09:26:01 pm »
are you using the Potassium after each use?  And what do you shock with weekly?  

I use Dichlor after each use and the MPS for a shock on a weekly basis.  

Anyway.   I find that when mine gets a little foamy its becuase there is not enought chlorine in the water to kill off all the bacteria.  I usually add a good dose and it helps out.  Now if your foam is caused by soap that that is different.   Then you may need to use foam away or in time it will diminish.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 07:44:48 am »
Are you wearing suits that are run through the laundry? Guest with the same?  When we launder our suits, we then run them through a wash cycle again with no soap. Also check your hardness level, softer water will foam more.  Do you get noticable foam when you run the jets on high?   When this happens I take a bottle of foam out and put it in a spray bottle and spray it right on the foam.   Using a anti-foam product causes the material the tub that causes it to coagulate onto your filter, so the next day I rinse them.  

How long since the last water change?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 09:14:59 am »
Is this what they mean by a 'full foam' spa????....LOL....

420spaman

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 04:54:04 pm »
Wow, bad joke :)

salesdvl

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 11:08:31 am »
"bad" as in good though.  ;)
Measure once, cut twice.

jeffn49

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 06:27:04 pm »
Jokes aside, thanks for all the good advice.  Treating the water with more dichlor and keeping the alkalinity well adjusted solved the problem.

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 12:21:25 am »
The only time we've ever had trouble with foam is when someone wears a swimsuit in the tub. Usually its just the wife and I in the skinny, but when we have company, we sometimes get foam.

Worst is from the in-laws. They need to get a new washing machine that knows how to rinse. Any slight risidual detergent on the suits can quickly cause a water problem.

The only real solution is to get the wife and her friends to leave the suits behind. :)

Jc
How do you know how much you don't know?

J._McD

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 09:26:40 am »
JC, it seems the in-laws found a new machine to rinse their suits. ;D ;D

To all others, do not allow Tee shirts, cut-offs or other clothing articles that continue to hold phosphates in the fabric.  Solve the problem, not the symptom.  Prevent the introduction of residual soap into the tub and minimize ANY anti foam you may use, it will cause another set of problems.

Mix or dilute anti-foam in a spray bottle 50-50 with water and SPRay it on the foam = same effect, less chemicals, less cost, less residual aftermath.  Best recommendation is the first recommendation.
;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 09:26:40 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42