What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Why is it so hard to find prices online?  (Read 10265 times)

Jay_M

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Why is it so hard to find prices online?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2005, 02:59:21 am »
WOW!
I am overwhelmed by the responses!
Thank you all very much.

Please forgive for not searching more before posting :-[

Let me respond to a few things that were brought up:

1. after the sale service.  
-How can I possibly have any idea if a dealer is any good in this area?
-what happens to my 5-10 year warranty when the dealer goes out of business?
-What do I do if the dealer’s service is poor?  Does the manufacturer say "sorry, better luck next time"

It is worse to pay too little because you could loose all of your low price $$$ on something that wasn't worth what you did pay.

You missed my point; my point was to get the lowest price for particular spa.  Not a cheaper spa.

3. Hidden MSRP
-this frustrates me most of all!  I look at all the websites to compare features, specs, and design, but have no idea if I can afford it.
-going to a dealer is a pain because they only carry a few lines
-I hate to waste a sales person’s time if I'm not sure I want a spa that they have to offer.

4. I live in southern California.  There are at least a half dozen spa makers less than an hour away from me, surely there must a deal to be had near me.

Thanks again,
~Jay

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2005, 02:59:21 am »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2005, 03:10:31 am »
Sorry to get on a roll here...but I love watches .....I am big Breitling fan ...I look for a good deal when I buy....and I know how to save a few bucks on them ....but I also know, for me when I do...I will not get the same treatment as when I go into a High end shop that caters to me and really goes out of there to well to put it simply ....kiss my a** .....and tell me why does Vegas have both the BILAGEO and the Motel 6 both leave the light on and both have a shower and a bed and a TV in the room .....but are hardly the same thing....

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2005, 03:25:10 am »
WOW!

3. Hidden MSRP
-this frustrates me most of all!  I look at all the websites to compare features, specs, and design, but have no idea if I can afford it.

I think very few people ever believe the MSRP ....Also the only industry I know that has a regulated MSRP is the Auto industry and this is after years of congressional battles....I think manufactures are afraid to post it on their web sites since no one does and it might sway someone from considering their spas ....The bottom line in spas is that most of those that are considered to be the Major manufactures, the models that are most directly comparable to each other are priced usually competitively with  each other... just as Surprise cars and TVs and washers.....etc that compete directly with one another....

J._McD

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2005, 04:23:32 pm »
WOW!
I am overwhelmed by the responses!
Thank you all very much.

Please forgive for not searching more before posting :-[

Let me respond to a few things that were brought up:

1. after the sale service.  
-How can I possibly have any idea if a dealer is any good in this area?
-what happens to my 5-10 year warranty when the dealer goes out of business?
-What do I do if the dealer’s service is poor?  Does the manufacturer say "sorry, better luck next time"
You missed my point; my point was to get the lowest price for particular spa.  Not a cheaper spa.

3. Hidden MSRP
-going to a dealer is a pain because they only carry a few lines
-I hate to waste a sales person’s time if I'm not sure I want a spa that they have to offer.

4. I live in southern California.  There are at least a half dozen spa makers less than an hour away from me, surely there must a deal to be had near me.

Thanks again,
~Jay

1) It is one of the many names that you will read on this forum and the dealer will have been carrying it for a longer period of time.

2)  If the dealer goes out of business, well as you have read, it is a tough business, but first focus on the 5 not the 10.  10 is structure and I have been in this for 21 years and have never had a structural claim.  What is subject to repair is the equipment and this is the 5 year part.  IF the dealer is a good dealer, he will not be going out, we have survived 87 other competitors over the 21 years and we have had many payless paydays in order to survive.  This is either called a passionate committment or stupidity going through this every day for 21 years. ;D Just don't expect "lifetime" or 20 years to be better, they are probably worse.

If the service is poor call the manufacturer and let them know, but to be fair you should do this only after talking to the manager or owner.  I have been there before with self-centered, egotistical, demanding, bi-polar customers who no one will ever please.  They bring about their own destruction, but if you are not happy, speak to the person in charge and let them know it.  If you follow the guidelines of this form and this thread, you will NOT find poor service.

"sorry, better luck next time"

This won't happen with a quality manufacturer or dealer.

"You missed my point; my point was to get the lowest price for particular spa.  Not a cheaper spa."  

I am not sure I did.  We all want to buy the same thing cheaper or at a price not a dime greater than the last guy.  Either yo have been ripped off before or you are just a untrusting person, ask me to see some sales orders for the past 3 months, what do I have to do to get you to have confidence in me?  

Everybody wants it cheaper, my common question is what can I take out.  Believe me when I say everyone looks at me as if I am crazy when they say, nothing, I want it all.  

Well, OK, but guess what NOTHING IS FREE after that.  We all want the sale and the shrewd negotiator who want to drive the price below the acceptable line, something comes out unknown to them, even if it is only a smile and a thank you for your business.

THAT MAKE THIS ALL ABOUT PRICE ONLY!

Tell us up front where you want to be price wise and we will spend the time to help you better understand you get what you want to pay for, so let's go there.

J._McD

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2005, 06:57:20 pm »
Just make sure it's a HotSpring and you'll be fine...no Caldera though!!

Spaman, stop selling and start helping.  Obviously, your information is biased if you can not be proud of your step sister or recognize there are some other good choices to consider.   ::)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 06:59:52 pm by J._McD »

obi wan

• you're just jealous the voices only talk to ME!
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2005, 01:15:05 pm »
Just make sure it's a HotSpring and you'll be fine...no Caldera though!!

i'll bite... as watkins makes them both why yes to hs and no to caldera ??? ???

shabba34

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2005, 01:33:49 pm »
i'll bite... as watkins makes them both why yes to hs and no to caldera ??? ???

Don't bite on anything this joker puts out there.  Anyone using 420 in there name over 20 years of age has issues. 8)

ladeyday

• Lookin' to get wet
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2005, 02:51:36 pm »
Just the question I was going to ask: finding the prices somewhere before I begin to shop in earnest. You guys have answered a lot for me. Being a single female, I wasn't interested in doing the car scene AT all!! Have never been good at that. So this lets me know that prices are regional and pretty much set. (Plus, from my limited research, there's pretty much only 1 dealer per manufacturer, unlike autos).
As for what I can afford, I think that that becomes elastic the more literature I get. The possibilities are overwhelming, it seems.
I did go to the only Marquis dealer, who was very accomodating, non pushy. He even pointed out that there was a Cal Spa dealer nearby. He also stated that he preferred not to pass judgement on other brands. But what really impressed me was receiving a thank you note in the mail yesterday. I'm really going to have to push myself to visit other dealers..............

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2005, 03:47:34 pm »
If you wind going with the Marquis....it will be a fine choice ....They offer a few unique things and if you understand them you can really get some great therapy .... I think by and large most dealers want to be fair .... If you need any help just ask....many here are willing to assist in most anyway we can .....

Jay_M

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2005, 08:33:23 pm »
I see that there are a lot of dealers here.  Are any of you will to post a price list?

It sure would help me determine a budget and beter compare different brands and features.

Like do I want a bottom of the line Mercedes, or a middle of the  line Infinity for the same price?

Maybe both are too much...... Perhaps I need an Accord, or Camrey. .... But should I get one of those with leather?

Is a loaded Accord a better buy than a stripped Mercedes?

hmmmmm At least with a car I am allowed to know the MSRP.... but with a spa it is top secret!

God forbid the consumer be informed!

~Jay

J._McD

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2005, 09:34:42 pm »
Jay, with all due respect, this is why we shop.  Let's do it this way, 1) tell us what you would be willing to spend for something really good, keep in mind you will own it a long time.  2)  Tell us what your breaking point is, the price you refuse to pay.  I will assume you are married and your other half has a pair of numbers also.  What are they?  That's a good place to start and I promise, I will not try to sell you something, but will direct you.

FYI, our spas start at $4995 and go up to $12,400 including extras.  Our average selling price complete is $7,800.  There you have it hi, low and average.  I don't mean to be evasive, (remember I'm a dealer) but it is all about you willingness to afford.  There are some very good choices out there for every price range.  What's yours ???

Jay_M

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2005, 09:44:59 pm »
It is very hard to determine a budget when you have no idea what things cost.

However form the tidbits I have gathered I think my breaking point is $4500 including steps, cover, delivery, setup, cover lift, and electrical.

Now can you list every spa that is in that price range?

It obviously won't be one of your because yours start at $4995.

It appears I either need a Costco, Walmart, Used, or some no-name spa.

~Jay

J._McD

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2005, 09:58:46 pm »
Not necessarily.  I din't get all the factors to the equation but let's try this.  Check these out on the internet, Softub, Viking, Hot Spot, Rodondo, I am sure others will add a few.  Then go shopping with that additional information in hand and ask them what they have in the $4,500 category.   While you are there look at what they have to offer.  During this process, if you see something you like for $7,000, well, you have a $2,500 decision your gonna have to make.  It's really not that hard.

If you are handy and you have the means to pick it up go to Costco, Lowes, Home Depot, Sam's and look at what they have as well.

After doing this, you will have a good grip on what you gotta do. ;)

Gaia

• Bubbles! Bubbles! My bubbles!!!!
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2005, 11:23:11 am »
OK, Here's my perameters.

Looking at $5,000 or less. I want a 3-4 person spa with lounger. Emphasis on therapy. To come with cover, ozone, decent sized pump. I will place inside house.  

I have another post in this forum stating that I am looking at a bullfrog model #331 - my local dealer quoted $4695.00 for above (with LED light).

Any other suggestions to look at? Thanks.

ladeyday

• Lookin' to get wet
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2005, 12:04:57 pm »
Well, I know that I can’t “afford” it, but I want a good spa. Have wanted one for too long to settle for just pricing alone. If they last 15 years or so, that will about fit in my timeline. (BTW, do senior, senior citizens “make the scene”)?
Since I live in Wal-Mart, that was my 1st thought, but after reading here, that’s out. When I looked at the Marquis “Hideaway”, thought that would be perfect, as it was just under $3k & could fit in my garden w/o limiting it too much. But rethinking (& education here) has refined my needs. I want enough room to exercise in the tub, invite my son & his family of 4 over, and I want a waterfall! Will have to make my pockets deeper (and garden smaller), but know that regrets won’t be as many as they might have been last week.   :-/

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2005, 12:04:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42